Check your account email address ×

Baby boomers are buying up all the houses

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, Snake said:

7 of us in a 3 bedroom 1500 square ft home built in 1910.

I was just fucking with Steve. I know it can be done hell people have 5 kids and live in a double wide. 

Wife grew up 6 people in a small Cape prob only 1200 square ft . 

Hes a dick looking for something to bitch about me fresh back from his little RV adventure. 

That said I still wouldn't want to downsize until my kids are gone. 

Edited by EvilBird

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

I sold off 5 acres of wooded property and a home I built in “98. Also got rid of all the rental. Honestly, I don’t know of any boomers buying up big homes and property at this point. All are downsizing or seriously contemplating it. Many are doing what I did or living on boats. 

It’s mostly gen x and millennials. People are too stupid to realize that when they “blame boomers” and “bitch about millennials” it’s not actually them. 90% of them are over 30 and in their early 40s. Boomers are basically retired or about to enter retirement. Typically most people will make the most money in their lives around their low 30s until their late 50s when they start winding down and get serious about retirement. You are prime example, you aren’t going to invest into a bunch of real estate at this point. There is no point. 

Edited by Not greg b

:thumbsup:

10 hours ago, Steve753 said:

Im wondering how in the hell my parents raised 3 kids in a 1250sq ft farmhouse! :lol:

Surely they must've needed an extra 2400sq ft!

wife and four siblings grew up in 1300sq ft cape cod

9 hours ago, spin_dry said:

People had an understanding of how to make do with less years ago. And they didn’t live pay check to pay check. 

hell, most of the mom's in our neighborhood were housewives, there wasn't dual incomes and many families only had one car.

9 hours ago, Snake said:

and hand me down clothes most likely. 

cousin and his wife have six kids between 12-22yrs of age, super close family, great kids, hard workers.  families of such are an anomaly today.

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Like 2

What, is this a contest to see who grew up in the smallest house?  My grandparents on moms side were dirt poor, they lived in a mobile home, then moved into a house that couldn't have been more than 6-800 sq. ft.  Ceilings were like 6 1/2 ft, and the sink would spit dirty water for a couple seconds before coming out clean.  Gramps drove an old Impala that was painted with a brush.  :lol:  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steve753 said:

Im wondering how in the hell my parents raised 3 kids in a 1250sq ft farmhouse! :lol:

Just look at how you turned out.:lol:

Florida place is 1400sqft, 3 br, 2 br plus den.  Missing nothing.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

What, is this a contest to see who grew up in the smallest house?  My grandparents on moms side were dirt poor, they lived in a mobile home, then moved into a house that couldn't have been more than 6-800 sq. ft.  Ceilings were like 6 1/2 ft, and the sink would spit dirty water for a couple seconds before coming out clean.  Gramps drove an old Impala that was painted with a brush.  :lol:  

yes, like everything else here.

next question?

27 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Just look at how you turned out.:lol:

Florida place is 1400sqft, 3 br, 2 br plus den.  Missing nothing.

house, condo or otherwise? 

I look forward to shedding a lot of 'stuff' at some point, especially my wife's 'stuff'... :roflcrying:

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Snake said:

12 hours ago, Steve753 said:

What size woodpiles did ya’ll have?  

6 minutes ago, Plissken said:

What size woodpiles did ya’ll have?  

We lived next to my grand parents. We used to have to process at least 10 cord a year for both homes.

First time I ever drove anything, my father taught me how to drive a loaded truck out of the woods... a 1956 Ford flatbed truck.

"If you can drive a loaded truck out of the woods, you can drive anything."

Edited by Snake
  • Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

Vacation communities are struggling big time for affordable housing.   Like up north so many homes were bought to VRBO or just have as a second home that its driven home prices up to an absurd level.  People working the service industries really can't afford homes and business' can't afford to pay what is needed for them to afford homes.  Viscous cycle.  Honestly makes me feel a bit guilty for doing it myself.  Place we bought has increased value by 50-75%.    

Edited by Highmark

Big houses weren’t required when people lived out of them vs in them. Most boomers were in the house to sleep and sometimes eat as kids. I was constantly outdoors. Even in the winter we were always outside. The. Not the case with kids today. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Not greg b said:

It’s mostly gen x and millennials. People are too stupid to realize that when they “blame boomers” and “bitch about millennials” it’s not actually them. 90% of them are over 30 and in their early 40s. Boomers are basically retired or about to enter retirement. Typically most people will make the most money in their lives around their low 30s until their late 50s when they start winding down and get serious about retirement. You are prime example, you aren’t going to invest into a bunch of real estate at this point. There is no point. 

I’ve bought parcels of land in three different states during the last three years. All rural and undeveloped except road access. Yet zoned properly if I make a decision to build. When and if I do it’ll be something small. Heated garage with a lift and attached living quarters. It gives me some options as I get closer to late 60’s and 70’s. Owning a home is a huge ball and chain IMO. 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I’ve bought parcels of land in three different states during the last three years. All rural and undeveloped except road access. Yet zoned properly if I make a decision to build. When and if I do it’ll be something small. Heated garage with a lift and attached living quarters. It gives me some options as I get closer to late 60’s and 70’s. Owning a home is a huge ball and chain IMO. 

Yup when when I am your age my plan is to have a big Heated shop in some rural area.  Hell for the house all I need is a decent kitchen and bedroom. Ill put the living room in the Garage with the toys. :lmao:

Yes we were poor.... I had to sleep on a bunk in the  crew quarters on our Hatteras Motor Yacht.... And on bad days we didn't have air conditioning  . . .  I washed the windows, sides and decks at least weekly....

We were so poor I was allowed only one tank of gasoline per day for my Boston Whaler....

The wealthy kids had all the fuel they could burn ...sucks to have suffered as a kid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1