Check your account email address ×

Ok electricians , what am I doing wrong

10 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Yeah, I pulled 2 from my garage. I hate them things tripping all the time. No water anywhere near where they were.

They commonly get used as the first outlet in a daisy chain of outlets, mainly outside, hence the need to get the line and load correct.

This makes every outlet down stream gfci protected...and all the problems that come with it.

Usually it's outdoor Christmas lights and cords etc that are nowhere near the gfci outlet.

Edited by Voodoo

12 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

That was it. The load and line were reversed from the old one. Like a moron I didnt read it , I just wired it as the old one was.

Working now.

:lol:
I did the same thing.  After the second one didn’t work, I finally read the instructions. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Voodoo said:

They commonly get used as the first outlet in a daisy chain of outlets, mainly outside, hence the need to get the line and load correct.

This makes every outlet down stream gfci protected...and all the problems that come with it.

Usually it's outdoor Christmas lights and cords etc that are nowhere near the gfci outlet.

Ill run into it a lot at work. Have a controller not getting juice and have to find the gfi outlet on that circut and reset em . 

6 hours ago, ACE said:

Maybe F7ben can elaborate but those outlets suck but have their place 

if they see and differentiation between the hot and neutral theyll trip and kill the circuit to ground 

great idea In theory but seems like anything that may pull 10+ amps can trip them 

are they safer? Yes. Are they necessary in a lot of the places they’re mandated now? I dunno 

They measure the difference between current on the hot and neutral. They are extremely safe and can be very reliable but they gfci outlets have a fairly small service life and that is annoying. I believe they trip at under 2 mA of differential. That will save a life every time. 

The annoying thing is some single phase motors will trip them out every time. I used to think it was the introduction of a starting capacitor in the circuit but I spoke to an engineer about it and he said that wasn’t it and that some motors start to deteriorate slightly they can be problematic with a gfci. He said it was an issue with the motor and not a design element. They absolutely will not work with vfd controlled appliances like some new refrigerators and such. 

4 hours ago, f7ben said:

They measure the difference between current on the hot and neutral. They are extremely safe and can be very reliable but they gfci outlets have a fairly small service life and that is annoying. I believe they trip at under 2 mA of differential. That will save a life every time. 

The annoying thing is some single phase motors will trip them out every time. I used to think it was the introduction of a starting capacitor in the circuit but I spoke to an engineer about it and he said that wasn’t it and that some motors start to deteriorate slightly they can be problematic with a gfci. He said it was an issue with the motor and not a design element. They absolutely will not work with vfd controlled appliances like some new refrigerators and such. 

Well it’s sort of an issue with the motor but also an issue with the element in the sense that single phase motors can run a long time with slight issues but the gfci  says nope and won’t let it run 

also seems like long extension cords cause them grief too 

4 hours ago, f7ben said:

Haven't had any issues with my pond pumps and single phase GFIs.

Also only used vfds on GFIs in 3-phase installations ie tank farms, no issues.

10 minutes ago, ACE said:

Well it’s sort of an issue with the motor but also an issue with the element in the sense that single phase motors can run a long time with slight issues but the gfci  says nope and won’t let it run 

also seems like long extension cords cause them grief too 

Some circuits with their own built in gfi will trip if plugged into a gfi receptacle.

Like my thermregulated heat line, but that was understood up front.

5 hours ago, f7ben said:

Seems like DC motors and controllers would be a better solution for new appliances instead of VFDs.

Neal

6 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Some circuits with their own built in gfi will trip if plugged into a gfi receptacle.

Like my thermregulated heat line, but that was understood up front.

Prob the worst is the new digital battery chargers that won’t charge a battery unless it’s already charged :lol:

man I hate those things