Check your account email address ×

Ford to cut 1400 people by Sept.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Why post a misleading headline.   It actually reads

Ford to cut 1,400 in North America, Asia by Sept.

Dearborn — Ford Motor Co. plans to cut 1,400 total salaried positions from its North America and Asia Pacific operations by the end of September as the company tries to shore up its lackluster stock performance and boost its lagging profits.

The Blue Oval “plans to reduce 10 percent of our salaried costs and personnel levels in North America and Asia Pacific this year, using voluntary packages,” the company said in an official statement Wednesday morning. Ford said it will use early retirement and separation packages. Hourly production jobs are unaffected by the initiative.

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

Just now, ICEMAN! said:

“we’ll have so much winning, you’ll get bored with winning”

Its more then likely salary jobs that should have been gone a long time ago...the auto industry is full of them.

Virtually every large company goes thru this.   When times are good payrolls get fat and technology is added to make fewer people capable of doing more work.   Times get soft and they offer up early retirement.   I know at least a half dozen people who took one of these deals from my largest customer.   Usually works out awesome for them and generally when things pick up they are the first to get hired back as contract employees.  

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Virtually every large company goes thru this.   When times are good payrolls get fat and technology is added to make fewer people capable of doing more work.   Times get soft and they offer up early retirement.   I know at least a half dozen people who took one of these deals from my largest customer.   Usually works out awesome for them and generally when things pick up they are the first to get hired back as contract employees.  

Bingo.  Exactly what happened in the oil industry over the last couple of years.  Hence my "retirement"  :bc:  

10 minutes ago, Highmark said:

except when a dem was in charge it was their fault because of regulations, taxes, etc.  Christ your act gets old.

4 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

except when a dem was in charge it was their fault because of regulations, taxes, etc.  Christ your act gets old.

:lol:  Your memory is crap.  

22 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Yup...nothing wrong with getting rid of dead wood

48 minutes ago, Dave said:

Its more then likely salary jobs that should have been gone a long time ago...the auto industry is full of them.

The article said that they intend to do it through EARLY retirement and VOLUNTARY separation packages. A lot of people when offered a chunk of cash to either retire early or leave for other opportunities will take it. I know a few people that were offered early retirement with their employer. If you were 53 you could stay at home, collect your pay until you were 55 and eligible to retire. You were no longer part of the official head count and they knew you would no longer be an expense in 2 years or less. If you were 55 or older you got a lump sum of cash.

Edited by 02sled

13 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

nope....

Post something up then.   Shouldn't be hard to find.  

1 hour ago, ICEMAN! said:

“we’ll have so much winning, you’ll get bored with winning”

Hourly production jobs are unaffected by the initiative.  Useless paper pushers will be cut, you know, guys like you.

8 hours ago, Highmark said:

Why post a misleading headline.   It actually reads

Ford to cut 1,400 in North America, Asia by Sept.

Dearborn — Ford Motor Co. plans to cut 1,400 total salaried positions from its North America and Asia Pacific operations by the end of September as the company tries to shore up its lackluster stock performance and boost its lagging profits.

The Blue Oval “plans to reduce 10 percent of our salaried costs and personnel levels in North America and Asia Pacific this year, using voluntary packages,” the company said in an official statement Wednesday morning. Ford said it will use early retirement and separation packages. Hourly production jobs are unaffected by the initiative.

8 hours ago, Highmark said:

What I've heard it is will affect contract employees first. Then engineering, then they will slim down the levels of management 

2 hours ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

What I've heard it is will affect contract employees first. Then engineering, then they will slim down the levels of management 

If true follows EXACTLY as I posted.  

12 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

I've seen this happen before,and it always happens just like I posted 

Yep, its common sense, nothing more, nothing less.  

• Gold Member
11 hours ago, Dave said:

So?

He's not quite sure if thats actually a problem he only knows it sounds good considering he's a hack Dem.

• Like 1