Check your account email address ×

Electric vehicle sales hit 7.9% of US market as Volvo, Mercedes, and Hyundai post sizable gains

BOHICA

• Gold Member
47 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I read where EV’s are driven up to 4200 miles less per year than gas and diesel vehicles. That’s pretty telling when it comes to who’s attracted to EV’s. 

In about 1.5 months I will have had my tesla for 2 years and will have probably 52,000 miles on it, in that 2 years.  Still have another 70k miles to go before the factory warranty is even up.

• Gold Member
55 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

this must have been a difficult read for you excited one min for record ev sales but disappointment a few sentences in to find “Tesla’smarket share is slipping”

Not at all…. When you are the only game it easy to have 100%.  But to still have 50% of the EV market share is impressive with almost everybody come at you and playing catch up.  Every one of them though will use Tesla electricity to fill up as we move down the road.  

It would be like the legacy manufacture having 50% of the gas vehicle market share in the US which many would call an impressive feat. 

Edited by BOHICA

• Platinum Contributing Member

Wait…..what….more EV’s got sold again? Weird right 

As there’s been a huge shift towards EV’s for some time now the pom poms come out anytime EV sales rise :lol:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, BOHICA said:

In about 1.5 months I will have had my tesla for 2 years and will have probably 52,000 miles on it, in that 2 years.  Still have another 70k miles to go before the factory warranty is even up.

My Corolla is 10 years old.

Front brakes, tires, that's it.

Paid $12000

🖕

Edited by awful knawful
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BOHICA said:

That’s fine. I’m all for EV’s. The less gas and diesel used because of EV’s means that oil supplies will climb. That means lower prices for gasoline and heavy fuels. It’s a win for everyone. 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

That’s fine. I’m all for EV’s. The less gas and diesel used because of EV’s means that oil supplies will climb. That means lower prices for gasoline and heavy fuels. It’s a win for everyone. 

Less oil exploration and new production as the demand wanes.  Prices will always be high on oil from here on out.  We will go into a substained price like we are now as less and less oil is needed and no new production comes online

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Less oil exploration and new production as the demand wanes.  Prices will always be high on oil from here on out.  We will go into a substained price like we are now as less and less oil is needed and no new production comes online

Nonsense. Many countries around the globe depend on oil to shape and propel their economies. Their production of oil isn’t going away. You are grossly overestimating the distribution of EV’s. 3/4 of the country can’t afford a new vehicle and will rely on ICE vehicles for years to come. I’m seeing 20 year old vehicles being completely rebuilt because it’s far cheaper than buying a late model used or new.

Apparently you have a high income. That high income blinds you to the realities of most Americans. As inflation continues to spiral, new vehicle sales will continue to drop and probably drop quite dramatically. The ICE vehicle is here to stay for many many years. 

• Like 2

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

Nonsense. Many countries around the globe depend on oil to shape and propel their economies. Their production of oil isn’t going away. You are grossly overestimating the distribution of EV’s. 3/4 of the country can’t afford a new vehicle and will rely on ICE vehicles for years to come. I’m seeing 20 year old vehicles being completely rebuilt because it’s far cheaper than buying a late model used or new.

Apparently you have a high income. That high income blinds you to the realities of most Americans. As inflation continues to spiral, new vehicle sales will continue to drop and probably drop quite dramatically. The ICE vehicle is here to stay for many many years. 

China said they are past peak oil demand and it shows as countries like opec plus shut off production as it becomes unprofitable to produce oil to keep oil in a profitability zone.  Oil isn’t really dropping much long term and will only go up cause each year it gets more and more expensive to produce and maintain a profit.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

China said they are past peak oil demand and it shows as countries like opec plus shut off production as it becomes unprofitable to produce oil to keep oil in a profitability zone.  Oil isn’t really dropping much long term and will only go up cause each year it gets more and more expensive to produce and maintain a profit.

China says a lot of things. Production is quickly shifting away from China to India and SE Asian countries. Demand for oil is dropping in China and rising in areas where production is moving. I’m sure that you’re aware of the acres upon acres of BYD vehicles China has sitting in fields? There’s no buyers. It’s one of the reasons Tesla will be out of China very soon. 

Here’s the reality. Americans and Canadians are keeping their vehicles far longer. That trend is going to continue and even escalate as money gets tighter and inflation worse. People are out of money. The used market for Teslas is pretty hairy. I’m sure you’re well aware of the exorbitant costs of repairing an out of warranty Tesla. It makes a BMW appear wallet friendly. 

nope….oil is here to stay for years to come. 

• Gold Member
50 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

China says a lot of things. Production is quickly shifting away from China to India and SE Asian countries. Demand for oil is dropping in China and rising in areas where production is moving. I’m sure that you’re aware of the acres upon acres of BYD vehicles China has sitting in fields? There’s no buyers. It’s one of the reasons Tesla will be out of China very soon. 

Here’s the reality. Americans and Canadians are keeping their vehicles far longer. That trend is going to continue and even escalate as money gets tighter and inflation worse. People are out of money. The used market for Teslas is pretty hairy. I’m sure you’re well aware of the exorbitant costs of repairing an out of warranty Tesla. It makes a BMW appear wallet friendly. 

nope….oil is here to stay for years to come. 

Yes oil will be here for many centuries to come.  It’s just going to get more expensive as time goes on like it always has.

So we still aren't at 8% and vehicles last on average more than 12 years.   The ICE isn't going anywhere. 

Edited by Highmark

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, Highmark said:

So we still aren't at 8% and vehicles last on average more than 12 years.   The ICE isn't going anywhere. 

Good gain from last year.  Wouldn’t be suprise if 1 in 10 are electric next year with more new models become available for purchase and as The big 2 take baby steps on ramping up production and pricing accordingly

1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

Good gain from last year.  Wouldn’t be suprise if 1 in 10 are electric next year with more new models become available for purchase and as The big 2 take baby steps on ramping up production and pricing accordingly

Lots of raw material hurdles to overcome getting production over 10%.

• Gold Member
7 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Lots of raw material hurdles to overcome getting production over 10%.

Not really.  Battery material mining is increasing greatly….  Also coming down in price by a large margin as Australia opens up the flood gates on lithium production

4 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Not really.  Battery material mining is increasing greatly….  Also coming down in price by a large margin as Australia opens up the flood gates on lithium production

How wonderful for them.

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/phone-electric-vehicle-congo-cobalt-mine-b2277665.html

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

yep oil would be refined into gas without those kids doing that mining.  Cobalt is critically needed component to refining oil

But Artisanal mining practices produce so little of the global supply of cobalt and ever decreasing amount as companies are more and more tracking the source of materials.  Especially in the US as it is tied to provisions in the IRA.

The results show that, while total DRC cobalt mine production grew from 11,000 metric tons (t) in 2000 to 98,000 t in 2020, artisanal production only grew from 1,000 to 2,000 t in 2000 to 9,000 to 11,000 t in 2020 (with a peak of 17,000 to 21,000 t in 2018). Artisanal production’s share of world and DRC cobalt mine production peaked around 2008 at 18 to 23% and 40 to 53%, respectively, before trending down to 6 to 8% and 9 to 11% in 2020, respectively. Artisanal production was chiefly exported to China or processed within the DRC by Chinese firms.

https://www.usgs.gov/publications/china-democratic-republic-congo-and-artisanal-cobalt-mining-2000-through-2020#:~:text=Artisanal production's share of world,the DRC by Chinese firms.

• Gold Member

Also artisanal miners live much better than the majority of the rest of their countryman and women and children.  If parents bring their children in on the family business it is no different the a US farmer using his children as cheap labor in a dangerous industry.

In Eastern Congo, a couple, typically parents sustaining a household of six members, working full-time in artisanal mining can earn around US$ 202 per month, but with four dependents, they would need around US$ 243 to cover the expenditures for the basic needs of the family. 
Still, ASM is one of the best sources of income in Eastern DRC, especially for populations with limited education or qualifications, who do not own land or other assets. Miners seem to be significantly better off than other populations in DRC, where 73% of the population live below 1.90 USD per day. In comparison, miners can make 2.7 – 3.3 USD per day.

• Gold Member
  • Exponential growth in electric vehicle (EV) sales is transforming the auto sector faster than currently predicted, with EVs set to dominate global car sales by the end of the decade, putting at risk nearly half of worldwide oil demand, according to new analysis by RMI.

https://cleantechnica.com/2023/09/16/evs-to-surpass-⅔-of-global-car-sales-by-2030-putting-at-risk-nearly-half-of-oil-demand/

• Haha 1