Check your account email address ×

The crashing office market will deepen the economic 'doom loop' for America's cities, economist says

spin_dry

45 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

If you can work from home, your job can most likely be outsourced to a cheaper place.

This is EXACTLY why I was forced to make the decision I did ~20 years ago.  They outsourced our entire IT department to Manilla - within 2 years, that wasn't working out so well and they were calling us to come back.  There were a handful who had not found another job and took the offer, the rest of us gave them the middle finger.

32 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Company I work for is trying to force three days a week in the office. Problem is, nobody is listening to the big guy who lives out of state and rarely shows up. Sitting around shooting the shit for half the day is now called “collaborating”

Holy shit ... do we work for the same company?!?!  No shit - it's identical here and it's absurd listening to the executives preaching this as they fly around and are never in their own office.  Even when they're not traveling it's easy to see their Webex broadcast is coming from their home office.  What's even worse is, people who are in a location where they don't even have a team to collaborate with, they're being asked to also go into the office to "collaborate" with other people they don't even know.  It's asinine.

Edited by Bontz
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Detroits issues have nothing to do with diversification….the auto industry simply left the city, the white population moved to the suburbs and the Democrat leadership in the city ran the place into the dirt and looted the coffers.

The auto industry leaving the city is the same type of diversification that’s occurring due to remote work. When the auto industry left so did the wealth. The absence of wealth led to decline and urban decay. This has been happening since civilized humans created cities. San Francisco is on its way to another Detroit as tech workers take their wealth and move elsewhere due to remote work. But feel free to look for your scapegoats and wallow in identity politics. 

Just now, Bontz said:

Holy shit ... do we work for the same company?!?!  No shit - it's identical here and it's absurd listening to the executives preaching this as they fly around and are never in their own office.  Even when they're not traveling it's easy to see their Webex broadcast is coming from their home office.  What's even worse is, people who are in a location where they don't even have a team to collaborate with, they're being asked to also go into the office to "collaborate" with other people they don't even know.  It's asinine.

Our managers have been asked to rotate weeks in the office (4 of them, so only a week each per month) to provide some sort of visual representation of caring.  That has basically fallen to the way side.  

• Platinum Contributing Member
15 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Yes it is asinine! And now if we get hit like the last UAW strike people are talking about leaving or retiring. I’ve never seen moral this low here

1 hour ago, Skidooski said:

Same here we were way more productive working from home. Ridiculous forcing people into the office. But I guess they need to justify the building.  I’ve been in the office lately having the same Teams meetings since the start of Covid because all the rest aren’t in. 

The health system she previously worked for wouldn't let anyone work from home, yet when covid hit the CFO and CEO and a few others weren't really seen for damn near a year.

2 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

This is EXACTLY why I was forced to make the decision I did ~20 years ago.  They outsourced our entire IT department to Manilla - within 2 years, that wasn't working out so well and they were calling us to come back.  There were a handful who had not found another job and took the offer, the rest of us gave them the middle finger.

I am sooooo over dealing with foreign customer service or support people.  Jesus.  No, I don't want to take a fucking survey when we're done after I've been talking to a machine and someone I can barely understand, who's reading off a dumbass script for the last 28 minutes of my life  :lol: 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

I am sooooo over dealing with foreign customer service or support people.  Jesus.  No, I don't want to take a fucking survey when we're done after I've been talking to a machine and someone I can barely understand, who's reading off a dumbass script for the last 28 minutes of my life  :lol: 

A lot of companies farm out IT services these days. Then they realize they’re not getting the same level of service as when they had in house folks. Duh. But they saved money!!!11!!!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, ACE said:

Supposedly office space in California is selling for pennys on the dollar now 

Our office building in Irvine has quintupled in value in the past 8 years.  Went up again last year.

Trying to buy another office building outside of Boston and the prices are absurd.  Just signed another 2 year lease while waiting for it to drop.  I don't understand how it hasn't.

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

Our office building in Irvine has quintupled in value in the past 8 years.  Went up again last year.

Trying to buy another office building outside of Boston and the prices are absurd.  Just signed another 2 year lease while waiting for it to drop.  I don't understand how it hasn't.

A lot of companies here have moved to downtown Chicago. It’s where the young folks are. I have no idea what the vacancy rate is but seems like things are back to normal.