Check your account email address ×

Groomer and Grooming

16 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

The camp that 5 of us are renting this year in Maine has 2 groomers and a shortage of operators, so a couple of us might be hopping in one this year to help out.  I used to run around Tug HIll with another buddy about 20 years ago, but its been a while.  .

Some days it's just as much fun and enjoyable grooming as it is riding.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Doug said:

Couple riding buddies say the same.  I know the trails so it could be fun just to help out.

376891468_789590923170188_3339628047970687117_n.jpg

Edited by DriftBusta
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Doug said:

Unitl your in the groomer for ten hours and watch 6 sleds come from behind and destroyed everything you just did.  I have even had sleds past me turn around go back and turn around again.  When I asked them if there lost they replied no its just fun to ride on fresh groomed trail.  Some riders have no clue.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, dsupercat said:

Unitl your in the groomer for ten hours and watch 6 sleds come from behind and destroyed everything you just did.  I have even had sleds past me turn around go back and turn around again.  When I asked them if there lost they replied no its just fun to ride on fresh groomed trail.  Some riders have no clue.

Guys in our club like to go out after midnight or very early on weekdays for this very reason.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dsupercat said:

When we have snow normally don't groom from Friday noon and start back up Sunday evening.  I know what your saying about trails being destroyed right after you get done grooming it and it doesn't get a chance to freeze down.  We'll normally groom late night after 9-10 or early morning 3-4 AM

When I ride and come up on a freshly groomed trail I'll try to ride on the ungroomed section of the trail until I pass the groomer.

2 hours ago, Doug said:

When we have snow normally don't groom from Friday noon and start back up Sunday evening.  I know what your saying about trails being destroyed right after you get done grooming it and it doesn't get a chance to freeze down.  We'll normally groom late night after 9-10 or early morning 3-4 AM

When I ride and come up on a freshly groomed trail I'll try to ride on the ungroomed section of the trail until I pass the groomer.

Yep I usaully get in the groomer 2am but my route is usaually 12 hrs mon-wed.  Morning riders are usaully respectful but the later it's get in the day that changes.  I actually chnaged a route because 4 of the local kids would take there snowmobiles to school which I think is great but not so great on the trail I just groomed.  

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Ziemann said:

I have to say that I am missing being in the groomer as much as I am riding right now!

Feeling the same. 

Our local club bought a quadtrac to groom with this year as we are primarily in an agricultural area and select rent them out in off season for income.  Here we were using it to help tile a field and I was getting some time driving it.

quadtrac3.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 01mxz800 said:

All ready and no place to go

20240104_190224.jpg

20240104_190247.jpg

Looking at the cleated track on the Piston Bully brings back bad memories of our old LMC 

1 hour ago, Doug said:

Looking at the cleated track on the Piston Bully brings back bad memories of our old LMC 

I prefer them to the all rubber tracks, we just bought a couple tracks for Tucker at 8k each, lot cheaper replacing belts just got a lot of bolts to mess with

5 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

I prefer them to the all rubber tracks, we just bought a couple tracks for Tucker at 8k each, lot cheaper replacing belts just got a lot of bolts to mess with

We had a lot of trouble breaking them as they got worn down.  Even came up with a formed plate of AR material we would weld them up to bring them back to the original height and those held up a lot better.  Cleats do have better traction in the snow unless you spin them out and bury yourself as I did in one of my previous post in this thread.  I had the drag full of snow trying to fill a ditch down further and started to spin but couldn't raise the drag fast enough to dump the snow.  

On 9/12/2023 at 7:10 PM, Doug said:

I think that I used to enjoy grooming more than riding. At least on the local trails around home when I lived in NH. Heat, radio and the trails to myself, lol

On 1/5/2024 at 12:38 PM, 01mxz800 said:

I much preferred the rubber tracks over the steel. Replacing broken cleats in freezing temperatures in the middle of the night due to low snow conditions sucked. The rubber also gave a much smoother ride on hard snow/ice.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ckf said:

I think that I used to enjoy grooming more than riding. At least on the local trails around home when I lived in NH. Heat, radio and the trails to myself, lol

I much preferred the rubber tracks over the steel. Replacing broken cleats in freezing temperatures in the middle of the night due to low snow conditions sucked. The rubber also gave a much smoother ride on hard snow/ice.

Exactly- and the cleats can act like ice skates..... Rubber tracks are much more comfortable. 

It is a blast grooming all night, seeing wildlife, having the tunes cranked up, and creating a perfect trail surface......

• Like 4

Drag is hooked up now but getting windy and nasty out.  Going to park it and go out tomorrow after the storm and wind dies down.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, ckf said:

What are the temperatures like where you are now?

When I got back it was 2 deg.  Trails are freezing down nice

• Like 1