Check your account email address ×

Social security at 62?

15 minutes ago, Doug said:

Our niece/godchild is our financial advisor and was tutored by a very successful financial advisor.  She has done very well for us.

Guy I snowmobile with had his own bodyshop and sucks as much out of it as he could before he sold it and thought he was set for the rest of his life.  Between going on a spending spree and paying taxes he is now back to working full time and his wife part time trying to maintain their life style.  Financial they are not doing very good and in their late 50's

I love what I do, and its not like work in the traditional sense.  No better feeling than taking good care of your clients and them appreciating it.  Pays well too.  Some people do their own thing, thats fine too.  But for many, investing and retirement planning is something they need help with.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I love what I do, and its not like work in the traditional sense.  No better feeling than taking good care of your clients and them appreciating it.  Pays well too.  Some people do their own thing, thats fine too.  But for many, investing and retirement planning is something they need help with.  

Use to like what I did until it got way to political and the skill level coming in was declining.  Got called 4 times to come back for special projects.  Thanks but no thanks.

I see you have a fisherman here baiting you now. :lol::lmao:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Doug said:

Use to like what I did until it got way to political and the skill level coming in was declining.  Got called 4 times to come back for special projects.  Thanks but no thanks.

I see you have a fisherman here baiting you now. :lol::lmao:

Everyones situation is different.  And I get it.  I see all kinds of them.  Some people can't wait and don't have enough or realistic expectations, some people have plenty but won't spend a nickel despite me laying out the numbers.  Its a personal value decision.

Not worth my time.  :bc: 

• Platinum Contributing Member
12 hours ago, awful knawful said:

Working till I physically can't is not on my agenda.

I'm always busy. Atv, boat, gym, skidoo, camp. I have a nice garage I spend a lot of time in.

When I retire, like my parents, I won't work ever again.

That is my first objective when I retire....want at least a 3 or 4 stall garage with a nice work area. And a car lift is a must.....no more laying on my back with ramps and jacks. Just deciding if I want this stick built or some type of pole barn.... I'm willing to sink some money in it... I want this to be nice.

11 hours ago, Steve753 said:

Earlier the better. I honestly don't know anyone who regrets retiring. 

It's been one of the toughest decisions for me.... I've put it off several times. I'm on the road and pretty much my own boss the whole day. Keeps me busy and gives me a purpose.... One of the very things I fear in retirement.   But at the same time I'm not getting any younger and the wife is a bit older and has some health issues... Time to step back, relax and enjoy life I guess.

It's do or die this time.... Have an open house this Saturday. I get my price or higher and it's a done deal.

I don't know, Maybe I'm just entering this retirement phase with the wrong frame of mind. Hope I'm happy like most seem to be

Edited by ViperGTS/Z1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

That is my first objective when I retire....want at least a 3 or 4 stall garage with a nice work area. And a car lift is a must.....no more laying on my back with ramps and jacks. Just deciding if I want this stick built or some type of pole barn.... I'm willing to sink some money in it... I want this to be nice.

It's been one of the toughest decisions for me.... I've put it off several times. I'm on the road and pretty much my own boss the whole day. Keeps me busy and gives me a purpose.... One of the very things I fear in retirement.   But at the same time I'm not getting any younger and the wife is a bit older and has some health issues... Time to step back, relax and enjoy life I guess.

It's do or die this time.... Have an open house this Saturday. I get my price or higher and it's a done deal.

I don't know, Maybe I'm just entering this retirement phase with the wrong frame of mind. Hope I'm happy like most seem to be

For me you need to stay busy but on your terms and schedule.  What was hard for me is to get over you need to get a project done before your going to work the next day.  You don't. My goal for retirement was I didn't want a set schedule that I needed to be somewhere on a daily/weekly bases.  Still have my own projects, work on sleds, help out a friend that's an Electrical contractor when he needs help, Sunoco and have our place up Nth but it's based on my time and schedule.  Being retired you still need to stay busy but its on your time and schedule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Doug said:

For me you need to stay busy but on your terms and schedule.  What was hard for me is to get over you need to get a project done before your going to work the next day.  You don't. My goal for retirement was I didn't want a set schedule that I needed to be somewhere on a daily/weekly bases.  Still have my own projects, work on sleds, help out a friend that's an Electrical contractor when he needs help, Sunoco and have our place up Nth but it's based on my time and schedule.  Being retired you still need to stay busy but its on your time and schedule.

Only 2 things on my schedule.... visit Dad on Thursdays and pick up the grand daughter on Friday.

I used to get up at 3:45am for more years than I can remember and when I retired for about a week or two I found myself starting to sleep a little longer each day. I get up around 7:00-8:00 am everyday now and other than my health issues I just putter around now and try and do what I can. We basically get up,have our coffee and something to eat and go out for a scenic drive along the ocean route here and just enjoy being alive. If you can take what you can as life is short.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Snake said:

Only 2 things on my schedule.... visit Dad on Thursdays and pick up the grand daughter on Friday.

Dad's also on my list being he's 92 years old.  Famous quote from him is "When you have time"  Translation is I want it done now. :thumbsup:

19 hours ago, Doug said:

Our niece/godchild is our financial advisor and was tutored by a very successful financial advisor.  She has done very well for us.

Guy I snowmobile with had his own bodyshop and sucks as much out of it as he could before he sold it and thought he was set for the rest of his life.  Between going on a spending spree and paying taxes he is now back to working full time and his wife part time trying to maintain their life style.  Financial they are not doing very good and in their late 50's

Unfortunately i know quite a few people like this. Also I have seen MANY seniors gamble away their retirement.