Check your account email address ×

have trucks gotten too tall?

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

until the salt destroys the mechanisms... then it's $4k for a new set.

I've never had an issue with them. 

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

You guys are like a bunch of women that go thru life complaining about everything.  :lol:  My pickup bed is too tall.   What's next your vagina is sore?  :lmao:

No shit! I just bought a new GM hd. Love it. I'm 5' 6" and 59 yrs old and have no problem jumping in the back of it. Buy a 2 wheel drive truck if you're worried about the height.

2 minutes ago, Skidude600 said:

No shit! I just bought a new GM hd. Love it. I'm 5' 6" and 59 yrs old and have no problem jumping in the back of it. Buy a 2 wheel drive truck if you're worried about the height.

You got the step in the tailgate.

:lol:

• Gold Member
12 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

until the salt destroys the mechanisms... then it's $4k for a new set.

without a doubt, and bring back real ashtrays cigar lighters while they're at it.

I hated it when "wing vent" windows went away. My 96 f150 was the last vehicle I owned that had them

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skidude600 said:

2wd is the same height, in fact most everything is the same short a tcase, frt diff and axles.

Just now, Steve753 said:

You got the step in the tailgate.

:lol:

Sure do. Came with it, but I never use it because it will hit the hitch. I'm to lazy to take it out every time. Probably the only thing that pisses me off about the truck. Stupid engineers......

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

you haven't owned one long enough or they don't salt there like they do here.

My wife's Caddy is going on winter #6 with them. She leaves them up when it's salty and shitty. 

1 minute ago, Skidude600 said:

Sure do. Came with it, but I never use it because it will hit the hitch. I'm to lazy to take it out every time. Probably the only thing that pisses me off about the truck. Stupid engineers......

nice design huh? wait till you hit the button to open gate and it does nothing

The Ford one looks goofy but it's definitely a better design. I use it often.

92 - 51" rail / 31" load floor

12 or 13 - 54" rail / 32" load floor

22 - 58" rail / 34" load floor 

it came up in conversation yesterday while having a couple beers.  everyone preferred the old 92 to lean on and reach into the cooler for reloading.  

IMG_20230830_081740954_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230830_081836449_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230830_081935165_HDR.jpg

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

Same here!!  Pissed me off to no end when my buddy was over and wanted to see how the tailgate worked and I didn't realize the hitch was an issue.  I pressed the button to drop the step and "clank!"   My truck was all of about 2 weeks old, and had a nice ding (thankfully a very small mark).  I will say though, even though I don't use it often - it is nice dropping the step vs. having to jump in and out of the truck bed.

19 minutes ago, Highmark said:

You guys are like a bunch of women that go thru life complaining about everything.  :lol:  My pickup bed is too tall.   What's next your vagina is sore?  :lmao:

I daily drive them for work and it is annoying having to climb up in them vs the trucks I had 20 years. Park a brand new 3/4 ton next to a late 90s pick up. They are basically a low rider compared to today’s trucks 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Not greg b said:

I daily drive them for work and it is annoying having to climb up in them vs the trucks I had 20 years. Park a brand new 3/4 ton next to a late 90s pick up. They are basically a low rider compared to today’s trucks 

I know dude I've owned modern day trucks.   I just laugh at the shit people on here complain about with no realization of why.  Trucks today ride better, have better hauling/towing capacities just to name a few.   Those may drive things like taller boxes.  I'll take the advantages of the modern day trucks any day.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I know dude I've owned modern day trucks.   I just laugh at the shit people on here complain about with no realization of why.  Trucks today ride better, have better hauling/towing capacities just to name a few.   Those may drive things like taller boxes.  I'll take the advantages of the modern day trucks any day.   

They can do all of that with out being 10 feet tall. I have to get a new ramp to get a sled into the back of my truck because the one I have is to short now. I get a new truck every 2 years and have had them from all the manufacturers. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Same here!!  Pissed me off to no end when my buddy was over and wanted to see how the tailgate worked and I didn't realize the hitch was an issue.  I pressed the button to drop the step and "clank!"   My truck was all of about 2 weeks old, and had a nice ding (thankfully a very small mark).  I will say though, even though I don't use it often - it is nice dropping the step vs. having to jump in and out of the truck bed.

I'm sure I'll use it when I get older. This truck is the last one I was going to buy before I retire. Great concept, but poor execution.

14 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

They can do all of that with out being 10 feet tall. I have to get a new ramp to get a sled into the back of my truck because the one I have is to short now. I get a new truck every 2 years and have had them from all the manufacturers. 

Are you an automotive engineer?  Another reason is cab space.   Cabs are taller and more roomy and much more ergonomically comfortable.   It would look ridiculous a tall cab then keeping the box low.  I swear people can't look beyond their nose.  

Edited by Highmark

16 minutes ago, Highmark said:

pipe down, I'm trying to figure out how to tie Trump into this... 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Highmark said:

No doubt! :lmao::bc:

I'm thinking the liberal agenda and trans people has something to do with the overwhelming lack of gun racks and regular cab pickups... but haven't quite dug up the evidence yet.  I'll check Twitter... :thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, ckf said:

Do they come in orange?

Connect the dots....go! :lol:

yes, special just for lazy county workers to sleep in... Like @ZR6000RR

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Are you an automotive engineer?  Another reason is cab space.   Cabs are taller and more roomy and much more ergonomically comfortable.   It would look ridiculous a tall cab then keeping the box low.  I swear people can't look beyond their nose.  

The Mexicans figured out how to lower modern a truck and still have it usable and normal. The durmaxs every diesel head has a hard on over sit shorter than the new trucks and tow about the same. They can do it, they choose not to. 

2 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

The Mexicans figured out how to lower modern a truck and still have it usable and normal. The durmaxs every diesel head has a hard on over sit shorter than the new trucks and tow about the same. They can do it, they choose not to. 

:lmao:Link please.