Check your account email address ×

factory direct?

would you purchase a snowmobile from a manufacturer that sold their machines and repair parts factory direct rather than sticking with the traditional manufacturer/dealer system? 

I wouldn't even consider it. 

It all depends on how it is supported.  If you take that model you have to give better support than currently and then it is a win.  If it is solely a cost cutting approach it will fail.  I personally have a Decent DE1 Espresso machine and they have taken the direct only approach, but at the drop of a hat send you free parts and take care of all sorts of things even out of warranty.  Couldn't be happier with the process and hope more companies follow suite.

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

would you purchase a snowmobile from a manufacturer that sold their machines and repair parts factory direct rather than sticking with the traditional manufacturer/dealer system? 

I wouldn't even consider it. 

I think that's similar to retail-only sales, like buying a John Deere mower from Home Depot.  The dealers still service those machines, Home Depot doesn't.  However, it's actually a little scary to buy something like that from a big box store, because I'd want a trained tech setting up the machine prior to delivery - not some guy from the paint department.  Buying factory-direct with a machine shipped directly to me is a hard "no".

That said, what if we tweak the scenario:  I buy online (because I know what I want), but the machine is shipped to an authorized service center with trained techs, parts and fulfillment/delivery people that can explain the machine, advise me on setup and will be there to answer questions when things don't go as expected.  Would I do that?  Yes, I would.  This is kind of the current model, and I think it can work well into the future.

That still doesn't replace a full-service dealer, imo.  There's still a place for a dealer with sales reps and machines on the floor to look at.  Those dealers add significant value for those who don't know what they're looking for.

Probably 10 years ago, I remember walking into a Polaris dealer along the Highway 52 Corridor between St. Paul and Rochester.  I wanted to see the new machines, after having been out of snowmobiling for several years.  There was a Switchback Assault on the floor and it occurred to me that I was way behind in understanding what made these better than the 90's machines I was used to.  

I had a huge advantage in understanding snowmobiles over anyone new to the sport, but I was way behind.  I needed someone to get me up to speed, but there are people who need a good dealer who need it a lot more than I did.

When I think of the people who need a dealer, I think of the beginners, who we need to introduce to the sport for the industry's survival - those are the people who need a sales rep that can guide them, who need a service department, etc. in order to get started and enjoy the sport.  Dealers aren't valuable for them - they are absolutely critical.

IDK, I've bought sleds that were still in the crate and had a independent tech put them together. Was very anal about squaring things up and always did a proper heat soak process. Not to shit on a franchise tech but I'll always believe that my guy took a little more time. Tbh, I never really had any warranty problems over the years and only used aftermarket companies products for oil etc. I would still want to buy the sled or whatever from the local guys but thats pretty much it.

This was posted on HCS. If anyone gets this survey, ask them if it will be as successful as the last time TSV tried to go factory direct with parts online, sales and factory stores. It worked so well the established dealer network had to un fuck that circus. 

IMG_1080.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes, I got that survey. It wouldn't bother me either way, but I prefer not to hurt the dealers that make a living. Smart dealers will adapt and survive. I don't feel sorry for those who can't adapt to the changing market/consumer. 

Edited by joe_zrt

I would buy from the dealer, if nothing else to support the dealer.

I bet you most guys that bitch about not having dealers around still buy their parts online from the cheapest place and never spend any money at the dealer.  Clueless about business and how they keep lights on and employ quality people that they demand but don't want to pay for these quality people to make a living.

I'd especially choose dealer for possible future service and/or warranty work.  If you buy the machine from them you will get better service.  If you don't, you'll get worse service in one way or another and you're being a douche by buying something from cheapest place but then bringing in for service at your local place with your tail tucked like a loser.  Yes I work in a dealer service department.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mnstang said:

I would buy from the dealer, if nothing else to support the dealer.

I bet you most guys that bitch about not having dealers around still buy their parts online from the cheapest place and never spend any money at the dealer.  Clueless about business and how they keep lights on and employ quality people that they demand but don't want to pay for these quality people to make a living.

I'd especially choose dealer for possible future service and/or warranty work.  If you buy the machine from them you will get better service.  If you don't, you'll get worse service in one way or another and you're being a douche by buying something from cheapest place but then bringing in for service at your local place with your tail tucked like a loser.  Yes I work in a dealer service department.

I buy next to nothing on line as I am never home to get it.

4 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

I would buy direct but I don’t really need a dealer for anything. That said I can’t see not having a dealer network going over well there are a lot of people that rely on them.

2J1.gif

@ZR6000RR

2J1.gif

• Haha 1