Check your account email address ×

8500-14001 lbs vehicles are next.

• Gold Member

The TLDR version boils down to a few major points, with perhaps the biggest being a 10 percent year-over-year fuel economy improvement in commercial pickup trucks and vans, starting in 2030. Specifically, this applies to vehicles with gross weight ratings over 8,500 pounds but less than 14,001 pounds.

Stepping down a notch, the proposal also calls for a 4-percent annual increase on light trucks, starting in 2027. That covers the best-selling vehicles in North America, namely the Ford F-Series, Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra, and Ram 1500 trucks. In the world of passenger cars, a 2-percent yearly increase would also start in 2027. And it all leads to a fleet average of 58 mpg for automakers by 2032.

https://www.motor1.com/news/679280/gm-says-tougher-nhtsa-fuel-regs-could-cost-automakers-feds-disagree/

The problem I see is how the CAFE standards have forced manufacturers to make smaller displacement, high strung motors.

Has a different set of issues for reliability and longevity.

Short term gain for long term pain.

I should buy an all electric car, but pre op I still have my testicles.

5 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

The problem I see is how the CAFE standards have forced manufacturers to make smaller displacement, high strung motors.

Has a different set of issues for reliability and longevity.

Short term gain for long term pain.

I should buy an all electric car, but pre op I still have my testicles.

I mean, just lease a new vehicle every 2-3 years and no more problems, right?

12 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I mean, just lease a new vehicle every 2-3 years and no more problems, right?

I put too many miles on to lease, not to mention that is a poor move financially.

Some  do prefer the never never plan though 

Edited by Voodoo

6 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

They get better economy in that vehicle class it will be better for everybody.  Who doesn’t like better fuel economy.

Democrats...ideas so good they have to be mandatory. 

• Gold Member
Just now, SkisNH said:

The new Cafe standard isn't mandatory? 

Nope.  If you don’t want to adhere you pay a small fine or can buy credits from manufactures with more efficient vehicles.

3 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Nope.  If you don’t want to adhere you pay a small fine or can buy credits from manufactures with more efficient vehicles.

A small fine? Subsidize your competition?  Sounds pretty mandatory. 

You can get a way with a gas guzzler tax on an exotic. If you were to do that with the f150 it essentially prices the trucks out of the market. 

Edited by SkisNH

• Gold Member

More fuel efficient full size Trucks would be great. Not sure how that gets done. 

Was pretty impressed with the Wife's 22' Civic Sport this past weekend. 42 MPG cranking along 75-80 mph with a few times over that :whistle:

If a pickup could do that id be very Happy. 

68355BCF-270D-4207-A4CF-42305F5520F6.jpeg

Edited by EvilBird

• Gold Member
10 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

A small fine? Subsidize your competition?  Sounds pretty mandatory. 

You can get a way with a gas guzzler tax on an exotic. If you were to do that with the f150 it essentially prices the trucks out of the market. 

Doesn’t stop a manufacture from selling a vehicle.  They can sell 10 mpg vehicles all day everyday if they want.  If they aren’t allowed to sell a vehicle then it would be mandatory but they can sell as many low mpg that they want.

3 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Doesn’t stop a manufacture from selling a vehicle.  They can sell 10 mpg vehicles all day everyday if they want.  If they aren’t allowed to sell a vehicle then it would be mandatory but they can sell as many low mpg that they want.

Ace was 100% correct..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

More fuel efficient full size Trucks would be great. Not sure how that gets done. 

Was pretty impressed with the Wife's 22' Civic Sport this past weekend. 42 MPG cranking along 75-80 mph with a few times over that :whistle:

If a pickup could do that id be very Happy. 

68355BCF-270D-4207-A4CF-42305F5520F6.jpeg

We can make them less safe, less capable and more gay.

• Haha 1

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, ACE said:

I’m all for fuel economy as long as it doesn’t come at the expense of longevity like with the eco boosts 

Compared to the 6.6 gm gasser the ecoboost is a shining star by comparison.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

They get better economy in that vehicle class it will be better for everybody.  Who doesn’t like better fuel economy.

Not if it sacrifices reliability.

One thing I am seeing is mfg's pushing oil changes way past when they should be done to show a more "green" vehicle and also less cost of ownership

• Gold Member
20 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Not if it sacrifices reliability.

One thing I am seeing is mfg's pushing oil changes way past when they should be done to show a more "green" vehicle and also less cost of ownership

Most oil analysis typically show oil lasting longer than when the manufacture recommends.  Oil changes would be less frequent if people did oil sampling vs recommended.  Vehicles have only gotten more reliable with increasing economy figures.

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Most oil analysis typically show oil lasting longer than when the manufacture recommends.  Oil changes would be less frequent if people did oil sampling vs recommended.  Vehicles have only gotten more reliable with increasing economy figures.

This is a completely false statement across the board. From vehicles, to appliances, to electronics and you know this

20 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Vehicles have only gotten more reliable with increasing economy figures.

The reliability isn't because of fuel efficiency....it's because of better manufacturing techniques.