Check your account email address ×

Marijuana leftovers sicken dog in Colorado

ckf

A Colorado dog owner is asking marijuana users to be more careful with their leftover pot.

Patty Moore called the veterinarian after her Golden Retriever, Chance, started acting strange, she told CNN affiliate KCNC.

Moore said the 10-year-old dog couldn't stand to eat. "It was like her legs didn't work at all," she said.

Chance's vet diagnosed the dog as having ingested marijuana. The telltale signs: the animal appeared depressed, drunk or stupefied for no apparent reason.

The pet owner said she took Chance on a walk in Denver's Highlands neighborhood park a few days after the 4/20 pro-marijuana rally, according to the affiliate report.

That's where Moore believes Chance got into the pot -- probably eating or licking a THC-laced edible, like a cookie or brownie.

Dr. Allison Jenkins of the Highlands Animal Clinic told KCNC that when a dog ingests marijuana, it could be affected for several days.

Vets can try to induce vomiting if caught early, but otherwise all you can do is provide supportive care, Jenkins said.

The most important information, vets say, it to let them know when and how much marijuana was consumed.

Colorado voters legalized weed in 2012 , and dispensaries opened two years later. Vets have seen an increase of pets -- mostly dogs -- that have gotten into theirs owners' stash.

The VCA Alameda East Veterinary Hospital in Denver says there's been a "200% increase in marijuana toxicity cases" called in to the Pet Poison Helpline.

Pets can quickly overcome their symptoms. But there have been several fatal cases of animals accidentally eating highly concentrated marijuana-laced foods.

Animals do not get "high" under the influence of marijuana like human do, according to a report by the Humane Society of Boulder Valley.

"The symptoms (staggering, agitation, stupor, etc.) that develop in pets do not appear enjoyable for them," the report said.

Moore said Chance has fully recovered. But she wants marijuana users to be "aware (of) how their habits can affect other people and animals," she said.

http://www.mynbc5.com/article/marijuana-leftovers-sicken-dog-in-colorado/9582764

A buddy had a dog that liked beer so we let it have a little extra. It was funny at the time watching it walk sideways and stumble around. It obviously had a hangover later with its paws over its head lying there. I guess that was cruel

15 minutes ago, Anler said:

I'm pretty sure weed is just as harmless for dogs as it is for humans. And I don't believe the story about animal deaths either. Pot doesn't kill you...

Neither does alcohol..... :news:

My buds dachshund ate a dubie off the coffee table when we were teens. Found him in the corner of the basement hurling. Probably a good thing he puked - he was fine after that.

21 minutes ago, Anler said:

I'm pretty sure weed is just as harmless for dogs as it is for humans. And I don't believe the story about animal deaths either. Pot doesn't kill you...

Huh??

There are many things good for humans but toxic for dogs.

Chocolate, raisins, grapes, garlic, onions, avocado, and macadamia nuts for starters.  Your logic makes zero sense.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Anler said:

Yeah, chocolate is the same way.

:lmao:

Thats the biggest problem with making weed more accessible.  It makes people with minimal thinking skills into people with almost no thinking skills.  But, alcohol's been doing that long enough all by itself....dubbage should be allowed to share its glorified benefits of brain enlightenments with is too. :lol:

Speaking of that.  While organizing my tool a bit yesterday, I found an an old half "J" in my socket drawer.  Probably why I am missing a half dozen sockets and now there is probably something in my garage that doesn't run like it should anymore. :lol:

9 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Thats the biggest problem with making weed more accessible.  It makes people with minimal thinking skills into people with almost no thinking skills.  But, alcohol's been doing that long enough all by itself....dubbage should be allowed to share its glorified benefits of brain enlightenments with is too. :lol:

Speaking of that.  While organizing my tool a bit yesterday, I found an an old half "J" in my socket drawer.  Probably why I am missing a half dozen sockets and now there is probably something in my garage that doesn't run like it should anymore. :lol:

I had a buddy from NH come over to visit last weekend and he brought some Bango along. That stuff kicked my ass:stoned:

13 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

That where I keep my stash too. I hope the kids don't start trying to fix stuff... :lol:

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Huh??

Chocolate, raisins, grapes, garlic, onions, avocado, and macadamia nuts for starters.  Your logic makes zero sense.

He burned a few to many last night....he should be ok by noon. :lol:

4 minutes ago, ckf said:

I had a buddy from NH come over to visit last weekend and he brought some Bango along. That stuff kicked my ass:stoned:

Buddies wife just sent me a gift from Seattle. I like it

https://www.leafly.com

I have trouble sleeping at night. This does the trick

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Huh??

There is nothing toxic about thc. That's the truth brah.

3 minutes ago, ckf said:

:lol:

Yeah...I prefer to smoke with buddies myself.  Smoking alone tricks my brain into thinking that I have somehow figured out the mysteries of the universe and am smarter than fuck.  If I smoke with somebody else, we can speak aloud and realize how fucking mentally "out to lunch" we both are.  

:bong:

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

Buddies wife just sent me a gift from Seattle. I like it

I have trouble sleeping at night. This does the trick

Those links just take me to the home page.

I still think my all time favorite is Northern Lights. I love the taste of it.

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

:lol:

Yeah...I prefer to smoke with buddies myself.  Smoking alone tricks my brain into thinking that I have somehow figured out the mysteries of the universe and am smarter than fuck.  If I smoke with somebody else, we can speak aloud and realize how fucking mentally "out to lunch" we both are.  

:bong:

That explains some of your posts :lol2:

• Like 2