Check your account email address ×

need some trail/game/security camera advise

10 minutes ago, HSR said:

Yup you could easily cover that with 4 cameras placed right.

Is that one of the wind up roosters that gives you daily Edward Jones financial reports?

that's what I'm thinking...

no, the whole rooster thing started life as a joke a couple years ago and has gotten out of hand.  I picked it up at a thrift store and place it to scare the shit out of people.  my brother about crapped himself one morning when it was sitting in the front seat of his rental car.  good times :lolz:

4 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

That's not a driveway...that's a skidder road.

it's part of the original two track road that went all the way around the lake from the 1920's that I maintain (fill the track with road base) every year and we mow the grass hump in the middle... rustic but that's how we prefer it. 

driveway pic from fall just before we closed up for winter... 

IMG_20221015_084318.thumb.jpg.d9ecc75e6f7badfaad863569b7abb9f6.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

that's what I'm thinking...

no, the whole rooster thing started life as a joke a couple years ago and has gotten out of hand.  I picked it up at a thrift store and place it to scare the shit out of people.  my brother about crapped himself one morning when it was sitting in the front seat of his rental car.  good times :lolz:

it's part of the original two track road that went all the way around the lake from the 1920's that I maintain (fill the track with road base) every year and we mow the grass hump in the middle... rustic but that's how we prefer it. 

driveway pic from fall just before we closed up for winter... 

IMG_20221015_084318.thumb.jpg.d9ecc75e6f7badfaad863569b7abb9f6.jpg

Nice cabin. How many sq ft?

Just now, Steve753 said:

Nice cabin. How many sq ft?

I honestly don't know... :)

the original 1920's section, then a front to back screen porch between the 'big side'  was added in the 1950's, then the addition of a dining room, bathroom and plumbing in the 1980's

probably 1600sq ft or so... so big enough but not too big

another thing I didn't mention yet, the big year round home next door became an AirBNB last year and if people are coming over to 'visit' when we aren't there or are using the property as a shortcut to the lake I'm going to f'ng squash it early on and I'll possibly add another gate... which leads me back to the snowmobile tracks and camera's.  this was never an issue before... 9_9

• Like 1

I run 10-15 of them from mid August to end of Feb.  Lots of choices and lots of different results to be had.   Personally I'll take quickness over super high megapixels.   Been using video mode more this year and will likely do it more.

If you have a fast triggering camera take note of easily moving weeds, branches and camera direction.   Some camera's will be set off simply by the changing sun/shadows and you end up with a thousand pictures of that.

Placement is all pending what you are trying to get on cam.  I do greatly prefer infrared or blackout as it seems to spook the game less however they still know when its going off unlike what some companies claim.   Can't say it spooks them from returning. 

If you like going thru a lot of nothing or pictures of the same thing most camera's have like a burst mode.   Good for catching everything but can be a pain.  I don't like setting cameras to spread out pictures more than 3-5 seconds.   If I do I'll generally put on burst mode then delay for 10-15 seconds.

I've gotten literally hundreds of pictures of 150"+ deer and one over 220".  Lots of Bobcats, yotes, turkey, coon and even river otters.  Also the occasional trespasser.  

Edited by Highmark

8 minutes ago, HSR said:

Green with envy over here :thumbsup:

Well to some Iowa might not offer a lot but in many areas of the state it has great whitetail bucks.  :lol:  

• 2 weeks later...

update:  have had the Vikeri setup for a couple weeks now, have seen deer in the backyard, have had the dog walk past the camera and the only images it's captured has been me setting it up and testing it.  it should have at the minimum imo captured the dog and the eight deer I saw twenty yards out.   this morning I moved it to a tree rather than the deck post and lowered the height and will wait a week or two and see what I capture.  if it's a piece of shit, I'll let you know, but at this point I'm not very impressed.

SO... I just ordered one of these which will likely work better with the Wi-Fi function at the cottage based upon where I plan to mount it more for security purposes.  plan to test both getting footage of myself and the dog (or ?) in the backyard before taking them up north.  the wifi/app option sold me. 

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Like 1

So far the izeeker seems like a good product and the Bluetooth wifi function is cool.  Going to test it inside today and see what the dog does while we're at work.  :lmao: 

Live picture from my phone... :thumbsup:

Screenshot_20230509-061743.png

izeeker seems to take decent pictures. 

heading up to open the cottage for the season this morning and set up the camera somewhere high with a good angle to capture as much as possible.  hopefully it'll only be critters and us coming or going and not unwelcome visitors  

Screenshot_20230511-181541.png

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

izeeker seems to take decent pictures. 

heading up to open the cottage for the season this morning and set up the camera somewhere high with a good angle to capture as much as possible.  hopefully it'll only be critters and us coming or going and not unwelcome visitors  

Screenshot_20230511-181541.png

Did you ever get the first one you got figured out?

The snowmobile club that I was involved in bought 2 trail cams to catch some 4x4's that were destroying the trails during the spring and summer months. One got stolen and the other one caught the group involved.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ckf said:

The snowmobile club that I was involved in bought 2 trail cams to catch some 4x4's that were destroying the trails during the spring and summer months. One got stolen and the other one caught the group involved.

Mine are Tactacam that have GPS that if they were stolen or moved I can fine them.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ckf said:

We'll be adding more cams I've a feeling.  Few at commercial properties and two residences.  Eufy most likely due to solar power and wifi compatibility.  If we had consistent cell signal here I would have went that route.

• Like 1

It's been pretty quiet (on the camera) directly behind the house but the trees in the past two weeks have completely leafed out.   I see way more deer than the camera is capturing as an outside dog but it did capture a few shots some about 40 yards out on video, so that's impressive.  Doe's should be dropping fawns soon and we typically have them hiding just on the edge of the yard which we love. 

Here's a couple quick samples from the Vikeri... 

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0007.JPG

DSCF0014.JPG

haven't had time to go through all the pictures yet but this one stood out.  we were just sitting on the screen porch a bit ago and had a porcupine walk through the yard... going to do some sniping if I see him again. 

one of our bat houses is on the same tree as the camera so I'm probably going to get a lot of these.  :)

Screenshot_20230526-185725.png

• 2 weeks later...

We have fawns behind the house!!!  :)

Going to strap the Vikeri up in the UP for the rest of the summer and see what wanders through the game trail.    These are fun, thanks to everyone that gave me a hand.   :thumbsup:

DSCF0064.JPG

DSCF0063.JPG

Fawn, a deer we've affectionately named Tripod, Fawn, our resident BIG FUCKING raccoon and upset deer @Not greg b , Black Squirrel & Gray Squirrel FIGHT (Wausau has the highest black squirrel density almost anywhere on the planet) and one more of our two backyard Fawns. 

these are bound to clog up some bandwidth like Badger's toilet on Monday morning @ckf so for compensation I'll send you some homemade venison/squirrel/raccoon sausage just to make up for it.  it's all natural, free range and urban organic... smells like hostas, acorns and hot dogs.  :roflcrying: 

• Haha 1