Check your account email address ×

Best multi tool

Hi Guys,

I lost my leatherman and am going to purchase something to replace it. What do you guys carry or what would you get? My main requirements are good pliers, quality knife steel, and the ability to carry comfortably with a pocket clip every day. Secondary, would be a decent driver.

Leaning towards the leatherman free p4...but really only "need" the Skeletool cx

Thanks

SkisNH

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
12 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

Hi Guys,

I lost my leatherman and am going to purchase something to replace it. What do you guys carry or what would you get? My main requirements are good pliers, quality knife steel, and the ability to carry comfortably with a pocket clip every day. Secondary, would be a decent driver.

Leaning towards the leatherman free p4...but really only "need" the Skeletool cx

Thanks

SkisNH

Following…good topic.👊🏻

1 hour ago, SkisNH said:

Hi Guys,

Thanks

SkisNH

I carry the skeletool. 

• Gold Member

I carry the leatherman wave+, I have used the warranty twice and they asked no questions either time and fixed it properly so there's that. But I did need it twice. So far its been a good daily carry item when I;m at sea. My only real complaint is the same complaint I have with all multitools, the blade steel is your basic 440c stainless. When you cut a lot of line or other fibrous material it will dull quickly. But like I said, all brands of multitools are like that. Rumor has that Leatherman is coming out with something called the ARC and its going to have a knife blade made from Magnacut steel, which is super high end knife steel. The only drawbacks are this will be expensive, almost $200 probably, and secondly as far as I know its still in the design phase or possibly even still just a rumor. If it get produced I will have one for sure.

I also like the look of those Free models, they look like a great choice and will i the running when purchase time comes along.

I have been eying the SOG PpwerAccess Delux for my next one. It has a nice magnetic bit driver function and is well under $100. Looks like a winner to me.

https://sogknives.com/poweraccess-deluxe/

Edited by Kivalo
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

I carry the leatherman wave+, I have used the warranty twice and they asked no questions either time and fixed it properly so there's that. But I did need it twice. So far its been a good daily carry item when I;m at sea. My only real complaint is the same complaint I have with all multitools, the blade steel is your basic 440c stainless. When you cut a lot of line or other fibrous material it will dull quickly. But like I said, all brands of multitools are like that. Rumor has that Leatherman is coming out with something called the ARC and its going to have a knife blade made from Magnacut steel, which is super high end knife steel. The only drawbacks are this will be expensive, almost $200 probably, and secondly as far as I know its still in the design phase or possibly even still just a rumor. If it get produced I will have one for sure.

I also like the look of those Free models, they look like a great choice and will i the running when purchase time comes along.

I have been eying the SOG PpwerAccess Delux for my next one. It has a nice magnetic bit driver function and is well under $100. Looks like a winner to me.

The skeletool cx has 154cm steel for the blade. An upgrade from 440 but not top spec.

• Like 2

• Gold Member
45 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

The skeletool cx has 154cm steel for the blade. An upgrade from 440 but not top spec.

I didnt realize that and yeah it is a better steel. I have a benchmade with 154 in it. 

5 hours ago, Kivalo said:

Is 200 really out if control for somthing you have on you every day ? I don't think so . You drop 80 for a wallet no prob 130 for basic sneakers 150 or 12 bucks for shades . The decent shit costs .

The only down side is when you pay the 200 you will loose the fucker 3 days out and be stuck with the old 40 buck model along with your gas station shades that you have had for 5 yrs now 

• Haha 2

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Is 200 really out if control for somthing you have on you every day ? I don't think so . You drop 80 for a wallet no prob 130 for basic sneakers 150 or 12 bucks for shades . The decent shit costs .

The only down side is when you pay the 200 you will loose the fucker 3 days out and be stuck with the old 40 buck model along with your gas station shades that you have had for 5 yrs now 

No I agree, for those that actually use their EDC tools 200 isn't much at all. Id pull the trigger on it for sure.

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

The ultimate would a titanium skeletool with S30v steel. 

I have several knives in S30V and its good steel. I would like to get a knife with S45 to see how that performs.

• 5 months later...

Update....I've been carrying the skeletool CX for about 5 months now. The size is near perfect for carrying everyday.  It has a belt clip as opposed to a sheath.  The knife has broken in and I can now open it with a quick snap of my thumb. Pretty pleased for the price. 4 stars...only draw back is the bits aren't standard 1/4" and the bit set was an extra 30.00

• Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 10:33 PM, Ez ryder said:

I have been wearing Maui Jim Lahanas for over 20 some years now. I think I have lost or broken 4 or 5 of them in that time. About $300 I think right now. I can't wear a cheap pair of glasses, it feels like I have a squirrel on my face, and I can't seem to not lose them if I do.

As with about anything, when you go quality, it is hard to go backwards.

52 minutes ago, Snake said:

I have been wearing Maui Jim Lahanas for over 20 some years now. I think I have lost or broken 4 or 5 of them in that time. About $300 I think right now. I can't wear a cheap pair of glasses, it feels like I have a squirrel on my face, and I can't seem to not lose them if I do.

As with about anything, when you go quality, it is hard to go backwards.

X2 on Mauis.