Check your account email address ×

Mandatory Easement

• Platinum Contributing Member

IMO there should be a mandatory easement to access public land.  Interesting read:

Across America, 15 million acres of state and federal land lies surrounded by private land, with no legal entry by road or trail. Most can be found scattered across the West, moated by ranches and corporate holdings. Such “landlocked land,” if it were one contiguous piece, would form the largest national park in the country, an area nearly the size of Vermont, New Hampshire and Connecticut.

Similar situation to the areas I grew up bird hunting on - we had permission from local land owners.  We respected the land - open and closed gates, avoided spooking cattle, didn’t litter, etc. along with bringing them cleaned birds and developing a friendship.

Private land owners can allow access to who they want - but if they surround public land there should be mandatory access. 

I do think there is a debate to be had about access to private land whose owners are subsidized or have their land enrolled in publicly funded programs.  

https://www.yahoo.com/news/public-land-public-cant-reach-150629280.html 

• Like 1

Might want to look at developing a federal land court that mediates and controls large property purchases. As the wealth structure shifts more in favor of the Elon Musks and Bill Gates of the world, this becomes a larger threat to public land use. Of course that’ll never happen 

And if you own the land needed for access....you're OK letting the riff raff in?.......special permission is one thing, allowing a free-for- all is different.  If it was guaranteed to be respected, I would be ok but we dont live in that world. I would never give access....would have no tresspassing signs all over my property.

We have a nice clean park system nearby and the Dark riff raff (im being nice)found out via social media and started to intrude. ....they felt like they were home and left their garbage everywhere....trailside, along river banks. Just disgusting. They finally had to close the park to the general public for a couple weeks and bring in a dumpster to clean up the shit they left.

Now the cops have harassed them enough about parking etc. that the scum bags have moved their romper room antics to a new loction.:thumbsup: Probably crying foul and racism all the way on their exit.:lol:

6 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

sure, but who's going to pay for it and how?

should it be seized? 

as far as individual land owners here's the who's who and what they had a few years ago

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2019-largest-landowners-in-us/?leadSource=uverify wall

Seize it. End of story. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I disagree.

Why?  If the public land is encapsulated by land owners who refuse the public access dl said lan what’s the alternative?  Theoretically wealthy land owners could encircle Yellowstone - do we throw our hands up and say ‘Oh well’?    

Just now, ActionfigureJoe said:

Of course you would. You love yourself them billionaires. 

not necessarily... mind if I swing by your house and seize a few things, for the people?

some private land holders practice better land/forest management than our government does

ever heard of the Huron Mountain Club?   20K acres in the Yoop.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huron_Mountain_Club

1 minute ago, Shifty said:

Give the landowner 3options. Open some access points on their own, feds buy easement rights, seizure. 

In option 1, the landowners decide where said access is. They can would also apply for fed assistance in any costs related. In option 2, they get paid but the feds decide where and what. Option 3 is obvious 

2 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Why?  If the public land is encapsulated by land owners who refuse the public access dl said lan what’s the alternative?  Theoretically wealthy land owners could encircle Yellowstone - do we throw our hands up and say ‘Oh well’?    

Maybe Elon Musk could bring out his boring company and start punching tunnels under the earth’s crusts. :lol: 

• Like 1

Why?  

Let's say my 3 neighbors and I all own a section of land in a 2x2 pattern.

Jim-Bob died and his section is sub-divided into 4 quarters. 

3 of the quarters are arable and are given to the kids that want to farm or rent it back to the one that does. 

The 4th is swamp land landlocked by the heirs and the neighbors.

The hippy-dippy kid that inherited the swap decides she wants a new Mercedes and sells the land, with no easement to it.

Who's fault is it for buying the land with no easement?

In my example, you'll probably end up with a easement of necessity, but you get the idea.  

This probably happens more then you think with government owned land.  

• Like 1

Can give them a prop tax break , or even no taxes on part that allows access to public land. 

In NH we have what is called current use laws. Meaning if a tract of land ( 10 acres or more ) is open for public access it is taxed at a rate for it's current use. ( tree farm , ag ect ) instead of being taxed at the value of raw land . Its saves the property owner a lot of money and provides the public with access to shit loads of private property for hunting , fishing access , hiking  ect.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

do you propose an easement... that's potentially a different story. 

again, who pays for it? 

how much land do you own?  mind if we let the general public run through a portion of it?

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

not necessarily... mind if I swing by your house and seize a few things, for the people?

some private land holders practice better land/forest management than our government does

ever heard of the Huron Mountain Club?   20K acres in the Yoop.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huron_Mountain_Club

You dumb shit. They already do grab the little people’s land at will. This is all about billionaires having the cash to lock up immense plots of federal land and basically claim as their own. 

4 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

You dumb shit. They already do grab the little people’s land at will. This is all about billionaires having the cash to lock up immense plots of federal land and basically claim as their own. 

and the government has done exactly what about it thus far?  how were the evil billionaires able to acquire all this property with no governmental oversight?  

I'm very much in favor of public lands dude, don't get me wrong here. ;)

Wisconsin, in the Town of Summit lake, the US government has an easement from me. No one can just be landlocked in the state of Wisconsin you have to get an easement from somebody, somebody's got to give in or the court will decide.  

Edited by Badger**