Check your account email address ×

Household debt soars at fastest pace in 15 years as credit card use surges, Fed report says

• Platinum Contributing Member
11 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

I started at 10 on a rupp roadster

Then to a suzuki rm 100

then a 125

Had a RM80 on the farm.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Then to a suzuki rm 100

then a 125

Started out at 12 on a Honda X L 100...... Then got a 78 ...RM125.

Loved that dirtbike had it for several years..

• Like 2

On 11/20/2022 at 10:45 AM, EvilBird said:

Whats different is seeing the sales Guy's face when you tell Him you dont need financing and will be doing a cash deal.

Oh and $7k off asking price.  Doubt they would give you that deal on American Express . 

At this point his face gets long and distraught as he realizes his commission gets smaller.  They don't want cash and try to refuse it.  Try a check once, lol.  Cash isn't king anymore.  Hasn't been for a long time.

On 11/20/2022 at 11:16 AM, ArcticCrusher said:

Kindergarten reading comprehension Karen?

I got here cause I know what's what.

Lol.  You don't know shit except what the other sheep in your flock tell you.  Most unthinkingest motherfucker I've ever met.

On 11/20/2022 at 11:17 AM, ActionfigureJoe said:

I believe about 20% of what you claim. 

That is way too high.  2% of what AC says may be too much.  Seriously lost soul.

On 11/20/2022 at 11:48 AM, snoughnut said:

Yep, time for manufacturers to sell direct to the consumer, get rid of dealers and salesmen. Really, what purpose does a car salesman serve any more? You can research any vehicle on your own, get rid of the dead weight so the consumer can pay less.

Used cars......as for normal times buying new is a waste of cash.  Right now of course shit is still fucked.

21 hours ago, SkisNH said:

Debit card

Dumbest form of payment ever.  Credit cards are a MUCH better idea assuming you use them not for credit but to make safe purchases.

51 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

So any of you older dudes ( yes driftbusta Im talking to you ) haha . Or any others remember the off brand bikes from the 70's and early 80's.

Bultaco

Maico

Chapperel

Hodaka

Oh fuck yeah.  The sport was like sleds back then, a lot more brands to choose from.  Always wanted a Maico, but never did.  Back in the day, I hopped on a buddys AW490 and within a lap, I was going faster than I'd ever gone on a dirtbike, amazing handling machines.  Bikes I've owned-Puch, Rickman, Hercules, BMW, KTM, Cagiva and more Hondas, Yamahas and Suzukis than I can count.  :bc:   Started in 1970 at 12 years old.  First pic 1972 last pic 2011.  Still have a KTM 400 EXC.

1929378_1097627210893_7296795_n.jpg

1929378_1097894857584_4981297_n.jpg

1622281_10205868580183663_4893293700921034744_o.jpg

20819369_10214243874760793_1210766546376353717_o.jpg

79376602_10221330221555034_7677146345295052800_n (1).jpg

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Then to a suzuki rm 100

then a 125

My dream bike at age 10.  Cousin had one, and I spent all weekend riding around Little Sebago with it.  Parents wouldn't let me or my brother have a bike.  By age 12, they broke down.  :lol:  

1 minute ago, DriftBusta said:

My dream bike at age 10.  Cousin had one, and I spent all weekend riding around Little Sebago with it.  Parents wouldn't let me or my brother have a bike.  By age 12, they broke down.  :lol:  

My parents didnt have much of a choice. My grandfather was a motorcycle guy. Rode till the week he died.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

So any of you older dudes ( yes driftbusta Im talking to you ) haha . Or any others remember the off brand bikes from the 70's and early 80's.

Bultaco

Maico

Chapperel

Hodaka

for sure.  a buddy had a hodaka dirt squirt that was loud as hell till it popped.  i loved their names back then,, dirt squirt, combat wombat..     :lmao:

my first real bike was a Montessa 125 trials bike. then a Bultaco lobito 175.  both right hand shifter models..what a tank that was, it would go thru sand and mud like a champ tho with the biggest knobbie tire on the rear i had ever seen.  i also had a penton 125 i bought as a box project i wish i still had. its a real collector piece today.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, old indy said:

for sure.  a buddy had a hodaka dirt squirt that was loud as hell till it popped.  i loved their names back then,, dirt squirt, combat wombat..     :lmao:

my first real bike was a Montessa 125 trials bike. then a Bultaco lobito 175.  both right hand shifter models..what a tank that was, it would go thru sand and mud like a champ tho with the biggest knobbie tire on the rear i had ever seen.  i also had a penton 125 i bought as a box project i wish i still had. its a real collector piece today.  

Penton and montessa. 2 I had forgotten all about !

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I just ordered 5 100ah lithium batteries from Battle Born. I did it with a 

cReDiT cArD!!!

Didn't you start the thread on rising consumer debt?...weird that you would promote the very tools that contribute to the problem.  

20 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Dumbest form of payment ever.  Credit cards are a MUCH better idea assuming you use them not for credit but to make safe purchases.

How so? Debit cards have the same protection as a credit card the bank will not charge you for fraudulent transactions.  Secondly, I can transfer money to the debit in about 30 seconds..we keep a small balance based off of our spending history and fund it as needed. 

Truly is indistinguishable from a credit card...I don't use a pin for transactions, just to get cash. 

21 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

How so? Debit cards have the same protection as a credit card the bank will not charge you for fraudulent transactions.  Secondly, I can transfer money to the debit in about 30 seconds..we keep a small balance based off of our spending history and fund it as needed. 

Truly is indistinguishable from a credit card...I don't use a pin for transactions, just to get cash. 

You can lead a horse to water. But you're thick as a brick.

44 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

First - security on your bank account is out of all things number 1.  Giving lots of access to it even if protected is dumb.  And second, let's say you keep a balance of $20k in your account and have monthly bills to pay of $6k.  If someone fraudulently charges $18k to you and it isn't caught in the time you make the payments to your house, utilities, cable, etc...you now have not only the fraudulent charge to go after but a lot of late payments and over drafts.  And of course the last is the fraudulent AI is more effective on those who use credit cards in a particular way. People that use only debit are harder to pick up aberrations on in general meaning the likelihood that you won't be notified of a fraudulent charge as fast as higher.  Sort of all money management 101

As for your stupid route. If you have to transfer a balance to your account to use your debit card, you might as well just use a credit card.  Having a separate account for debit is fundamentally mimicking credit.  Absurd extra work to avoid getting a couple percent back on your purchases

Edited by Deephaven
  • Like 1

1. Have debit card hold under a $200 dollar balance.

2. Open second account. Second account holds the remaining money.

3. Transfer funds as needed from 2. to 1.

4. Fraud will never take over $200.... and realistically $0, since most will cover fraud.

(4a. Our one CC sends a text anytime a charge is made over $50. Fraud is easy to overcome.)

13 minutes ago, Snake said:

1. Have debit card hold under a $200 dollar balance.

2. Open second account. Second account holds the remaining money.

3. Transfer funds as needed from 2. to 1.

4. Fraud will never take over $200.... and realistically $0, since most will cover fraud.

(4a. Our one CC sends a text anytime a charge is made over $50. Fraud is easy to overcome.)

Or skip all the work on the debit bullshit and just use your credit card.  So much more logical.

1 hour ago, SkisNH said:

Didn't you start the thread on rising consumer debt?...weird that you would promote the very tools that contribute to the problem.  

I also promote the ownership of another tool. Firearms. It’s been said by some that they kill people. So there’s that. 

2 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Or skip all the work on the debit bullshit and just use your credit card.  So much more logical.

You're talking to a guy who takes his monthly pension payment out every month and sticks it in his safe at home because he's afraid to leave it in his financial institution. 

But yet he says he doesn't sweat over the small things.

Edited by Steve753

1 minute ago, Steve753 said:

You're talking to a guy who takes his monthly pension payment out every month and sticks it in his safe at home because he's afraid to leave it in his financial institution. 

What's Snakes excuse then?

All the extra work to avoid using a credit card.  Lol.  Credit cards are free money and make life super easy.  I use their dumb balance transfer routine on my Venmo account because I refuse to attach any payment method to my bank account and to have Venmo paid with a credit card you have to manually transfer to it.  Such a pain in the ass.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

But yet he says he doesn't sweat over the small things.

You want the whole world to know as much about you as possible, be my guest.

Credit card debt gets reported. Debit cards do not.

Even if you pay off your balance every month, you still have a reportable balance. Think charging $3k a month on your card then paying it off every month doesn't affect it?

You sure are concerned about everyone else's financial processes....

Just now, Snake said:

You want the whole world to know as much about you as possible, be my guest.

Credit card debt gets reported. Debit cards do not.

Even if you pay off your balance every month, you still have a reportable balance. Think charging $3k a month on your card then paying it off every month doesn't affect it?

You sure are concerned about everyone else's financial processes....

Not concerned. Find your ritual funny though.