Check your account email address ×

Is my Maple tree dying?

The tree is likely 30 years old now and while looking up through the trunk area, it seems thin and a lot of the branches have split bark with some falling to the ground. Looking from a distance, it looks healthy with nice big green leaves but internally, it is the complete opposite. I am no arborist by any stretch and maybe it is due to a lack of some decent rain lately, but it does have me concerned. It is likely 40-50 feet tall.

43 minutes ago, irv said:

The tree is likely 30 years old now and while looking up through the trunk area, it seems thin and a lot of the branches have split bark with some falling to the ground. Looking from a distance, it looks healthy with nice big green leaves but internally, it is the complete opposite. I am no arborist by any stretch and maybe it is due to a lack of some decent rain lately, but it does have me concerned. It is likely 40-50 feet tall.

Sometimes they will hold leaves & water in a pocket area ...& rot there. Can drill drain holes if needed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Anler said:

You need an arborist to come look at it

I think I do? Did some digging/research and based on that, I'd say it's on its way out. Going to give it a real good drink here shortly to see what happens? Fertilizer was also recommended so I'll have to look up exactly what type/kind it needs? 

18 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

have you considered putting a wind generator on it yet?

solar panels?

Not yet but I did remove every mirror in the house and have them laying on the ground reflecting the sun up the middle. Do you think that will work? :dunno:

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

I've lost 17 Sugar Maples in my yard since 1991.

Is there any particular reason for it, Don? The one I am talking about is in our backyard so no road salt or anything else like that. It's in the corner of our yard and there has been no landscaping or anything of the sort that could cause this. 

5 minutes ago, irv said:

Is there any particular reason for it, Don? The one I am talking about is in our backyard so no road salt or anything else like that. It's in the corner of our yard and there has been no landscaping or anything of the sort that could cause this. 

Yeah, I'm not sure, most were in the back yard, 2 or 3 in the front yard..had 5 taken down this Summer, at least 2 more way in back should come down too. Some had lots of damage from Pileated Wood Peckers and may have fallen on several of my buildings.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Do you happen to see a lot ( or few ) carpenter ants roaming the outside?

No, none at all. I've looked to the best of my ability to see something obvious but I don't see a thing. 

This describes our tree pretty good: 

Maples that are declining may have paler, smaller and few leaves than in previous years. Maple dieback includes symptoms such as dead twigs or branch tips and dead areas in the canopy. Leaves that change to fall colors before the end of summer are a sure indication of decline.Feb 15, 2021

We had these black spots on the leaves the last couple years but nothing this year. The leaves look real healthy, TBH.

https://www.nature-and-garden.com/gardening/black-spots-maple.html

Just in the area that I mow there was 55 Sugar Maples, they have been dying off since I moved here 31 + years ago, 17 have been cut down and more dying. Haven't looked at the rest of my back property for a couple years but there are 100's of Maples back there.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

I've lost 17 Sugar Maples in my yard since 1991.

My bud had oak rot or oak wilt somthing like that . Shit loads of  them on his 40  . He got a bobcat loadable boiler heats the house and both shops . 

• Like 1