Check your account email address ×

Teachers and guns

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

More guns

Remember just last night you complained about throwing threads off the rails?

Why can't you state your position on the OP and argue it?

Just now, Snake said:

Remember just last night you complained about throwing threads off the rails?

Why can't you state your position on the OP and argue it?

Off rails? Lmfao….seriously? I posted more guns.

Get over yourself 

Do you think a healthy teenage male could over power most teachers and possibly take their firearm? I think so.

What if said teacher is careless one time leaving a firearm accessible to a student? 

And what other possible accidents could happen with having people who trained to be educators are now forced to be armed security guards? 

Arming teachers is a dumb idea

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

The woke teachers today are not mentally capable.  The ones we grew up with no problem.  What happened?

No one is asking anyone who doesn't want to to do it.

I guess the point I am trying to make is, as a former firearms/military weapons instructor, I could take a 95 pound 18 year old girl, and make her a safe, accurate user of firearms from the 9MM up to a fucking .50 cal. Did it with 40ish aged trainees as well.

Firearms and training go hand in hand. Want to carry in school as a teacher? Be ready to accept more training than is required to get a drivers' permit.

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

Do you think a healthy teenage male could over power most teachers and possibly take their firearm? I think so.

What if said teacher is careless one time leaving a firearm accessible to a student? 

And what other possible accidents could happen with having people who trained to be educators are now forced to be armed security guards? 

Arming teachers is a dumb idea

Most plans I see involve the weapon being in a secure location, available to the teacher when necessary. Finger print gun safe comes to mind.

As I said, no one is asking a person to carry that don't have the desire to do so.

I raised 3 (4) kids and not a one to this day can get in the gun safe.

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

Most plans I see involve the weapon being in a secure location, available to the teacher when necessary. Finger print gun safe comes to mind.

As I said, no one is asking a person to carry that don't have the desire to do so.

I raised 3 (4) kids and not a one to this day can get in the gun safe.

My wife is a substitute teacher at our high school and from what I have learned about teachers in the last 5 years I wouldn't trust them with that job. 

I think arming teachers is just a terrible idea. I can think of maybe one or two teachers my entire school career that were fit to act in an active shooter scenario. Trained police cower in fear and hide in dumpsters when shit pops off. Little old school teachers having a pistol isn’t the answer. 

Just now, Anler said:

My wife is a substitute teacher at our high school and from what I have learned about teachers in the last 5 years I wouldn't trust them with that job. 

I literally live next door to a teacher/administrator and I would literally purchase the weapon for him.

No one is asking for a platoon of teachers with ARs locked up in the office. 1 or 2 that can react in under 2 or 3 minutes of a situation, when the cops are minutes away, can make all the difference.

Just now, f7ben said:

I think arming teachers is just a terrible idea. I can think of maybe one or two teachers my entire school career that were fit to act in an active shooter scenario. Trained police cower in fear and hide in dumpsters when shit pops off. Little old school teachers having a pistol isn’t the answer. 

Just now, Snake said:

I literally live next door to a teacher/administrator and I would literally purchase the weapon for him.

No one is asking for a platoon of teachers with ARs locked up in the office. 1 or 2 that can react in under 2 or 3 minutes of a situation, when the cops are minutes away, can make all the difference.

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I'd have to agree.

Just now, Snake said:

Perhaps administrators but I still think professional security is best. As I've said Chicago has been doing it forever. It works and it's not a new concept, just new to the non urban schools

1 minute ago, Snake said:

I get it and I’m not opposed to that potentially being part of a multi pronged approach if indeed a school has someone capable. I just think legitimately securing entry and exit points is probably a better focus

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

Perhaps administrators but I still think professional security is best. As I've said Chicago has been doing it forever. It works and it's not a new concept, just new to the non urban schools

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

I get it and I’m not opposed to that potentially being part of a multi pronged approach if indeed a school has someone capable. I just think legitimately securing entry and exit points is probably a better focus

Given my rathers, I would agree with that 10 times myself. Problem is, schools are being denied (or in the process of being) denied that option.

6 minutes ago, Snake said:

Given my rathers, I would agree with that 10 times myself. Problem is, schools are being denied (or in the process of being) denied that option.

At my kids school which is where I graduated from I’d be hard pressed to enter the school during the school day. Doors are all locked from the outside. You have to be buzzed in from the main entrance. The admin office is right there and the office people can clearly see the door. 

I think it should be available to teachers if wanted with a high level of training. Lot's of teachers have been in the military and would be good candidates. Securing the schools is a better approach imo though, maybe a combination of better security, and select armed teachers. Private security could work, but I'd be worried about getting some wanna be that will run at the 1st sign of trouble. 

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

At my kids school which is where I graduated from I’d be hard pressed to enter the school during the school day. Doors are all locked from the outside. You have to be buzzed in from the main entrance. The admin office is right there and the office people can clearly see the door. 

That should be how it is everywhere, after the new town shooting here in Connecticut, it is almost impossible to get into a school without an ID and being buzzed in.Q

Edited by DriftBusta

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

The school on my former route was exactly the same.

Problem is, the buzzer from the secretary was right next to the door on the inside, with a row of 4 windows where you could look in and shoot, throw a simple rock, and gain access in 20 seconds or less.

What good is a locked door when there is 1/16 inch of glass 3 feet to your right?

Edited by Snake

12 minutes ago, Snake said:

The school on my former route was exactly the same.

Problem is, the buzzer from the secretary was right next to the door on the inside, with a row of 4 windows where you could look in and shoot, throw a simple rock, and gain access in 20 seconds or less.

What good is a locked door when there is 1/16 inch of glass 3 feet to your right?

Well that’s pretty simple to rectify. Would take all of a week and 100k to reinforce the glass to the point of slowing someone down significantly. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
51 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

The woke teachers today are not mentally capable.  The ones we grew up with no problem.  What happened?

Well Ive dated 2 teachers, one of them I am currently. both have/had cc permits. 

It's odd that some of you guys think because your a teacher you all think and feel the same way about everything. Assigning a position to a massive group of people based on their job is just strange.