Check your account email address ×

The 2017 Iron Dog Thread

2 minutes ago, ckf said:

Will they be riding through the night or laying over somewhere?

All of the teams will take another layover this evening.  Many will push to Galena or possibly Kaltag.  Some will stop in Ruby, the first village they get to on the Yukon River.  It all depends oh how their sleds are doing and what time of the day it is when they reach the Yukon.

Teams are required to take 28 hours of layover on their northbound run to Nome.  The front runners have taken 14 hours so far.  They have 14 more hours to take before the get to Nome.  If the front runners reach the Yukon with 3 hours of daylight left they may try to push to Unalakleet before taking their next layover.  Then they would likely take 8hrs in Unalakleet.  Get back on the clock at about 3am and race across the coast to White Mountain where they would take their final 6hrs of layover.  Then sprint the 90 milers to Nome Tuesday afternoon.  There is a $6000 prize for the fastest team from White Mountain to None so lots of teams are gonna push it hard right there.  

The layovers are all part of their individual strategy and where the sun is on the horizon.  Driving into a setting sun slows you down.  If you are limping along with a wounded sled it's best to just take a layover and wait for parts to show up.  Once off the layover they can fix the sled and be back up to race speed.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Back Country Rebel said:

All of the teams will take another layover this evening.  Many will push to Galena or possibly Kaltag.  Some will stop in Ruby, the first village they get to on the Yukon River.  It all depends oh how their sleds are doing and what time of the day it is when they reach the Yukon.

Teams are required to take 28 hours of layover on their northbound run to Nome.  The front runners have taken 14 hours so far.  They have 14 more hours to take before the get to Nome.  If the front runners reach the Yukon with 3 hours of daylight left they may try to push to Unalakleet before taking their next layover.  Then they would likely take 8hrs in Unalakleet.  Get back on the clock at about 3am and race across the coast to White Mountain where they would take their final 6hrs of layover.  Then sprint the 90 milers to Nome Tuesday afternoon.  There is a $6000 prize for the fastest team from White Mountain to None so lots of teams are gonna push it hard right there.  

The layovers are all part of their individual strategy and where the sun is on the horizon.  Driving into a setting sun slows you down.  If you are limping along with a wounded sled it's best to just take a layover and wait for parts to show up.  Once off the layover they can fix the sled and be back up to race speed.  

Are there any mandatory layovers or is it up to each team where and for how long they layover?

10 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Great thread Tom. :bc:   Go Team Maine!  Sounds like a great adventure....except for the -40 part. :lol: 

The Maine teams are doing really well again this year.  Lessard is currently in 9th place and Dow is in 11th.  They are running strong with what appears to be very few problems.  

3 minutes ago, ckf said:

Are there any mandatory layovers or is it up to each team where and for how long they layover?

McGrath is the only mandatory layover location.  Teams have to use 14hrs of layover before they leave McGrath.  There are several check points that aren't official layover places.  If a team breaks down near one of these check points they have to get back to the checkpoint if they need parts to make the repairs.  Parts can only be delivered to a team at an official check point.  You can't just airdrop parts to a team in the middle of the trail somewhere.  

Clarification:  A team can make repairs anywhere on the trail.  If they need parts that they aren't carrying with them the parts can only be delivered to a checkjpoint.  

Yesterday when Team 6 Brad George hit the rock and broke off the A-Arms he was 30 miles from the next check point.  Robbie rode to Rohn where their plane air dropped the a-arms and shock.  Robbie then took the parts back to brad and fixed his sled.  

Edited by Back Country Rebel
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, hayward said:

Love this thread!  Thanks Tom.  What's with this "skidoo" shit as current sled nowadays?  I miss your vintage racing threads BTW.

Well I race an old SkiDoo and I really want a new SkiDoo with the fancy electric start system.  Does that count at all?  

1 hour ago, ckf said:

I've always used HJC because parts are easy to find if you break something.

What do you think, Ron? Of course they are because :acs:

same but they suck in comparison,  i was running an HJC IS-max and it was cold and noisy bought this and it's almost perfect,  1/2-1 lb lighter and it would be perfect.  Have yet to need to even plug it in although i did get the elec shield just in case.    

• Like 1

Just an update on something that went down in McGrath this morning.  When Team 16 went on the clock and tried to refuel their sleds all the pumps at the fueling station were frozen.  Took race officials quite a while to get things thawed out.  Meanwhile the clock was ticking for Team 16.  I think we will see a time adjustment at their next layover point.  I'm hearing that team 16 will get to leave 19 minutes early to make up for the time they lost refueling in McGrath.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Back Country Rebel said:

Just an update on something that went down in McGrath this morning.  When Team 16 went on the clock and tried to refuel their sleds all the pumps at the fueling station were frozen.  Took race officials quite a while to get things thawed out.  Meanwhile the clock was ticking for Team 16.  I think we will see a time adjustment at their next layover point.  I'm hearing that team 16 will get to leave 19 minutes early to make up for the time they lost refueling in McGrath.

Damn that is cold.  I thought last year was cold when my trailer froze up because the propane quit flowing.

Looks like Team 8, Team 41 and Team 16 are all through Ruby headed down the mighty Yukon River.  The three separated by about 9 minutes.  If this time holds then that means Team 16 is still in the lead by about 10 minutes once they get their 19 minutes back.  

These guys will be pinging at 80-90MPH at times over the next 45 minutes.  

16 minutes ago, Back Country Rebel said:

Well I race an old SkiDoo and I really want a new SkiDoo with the fancy electric start system.  Does that count at all?  

That about sums it up.  You still throwing that old motoski around on the lakes, eh?  You kick'n ass and taking names again this year?  We need that thread back on here too!

• Like 1

Team 37 scratched a few hours ago in McGrath.  I don't know the cause but it may have been because of the nasty temps last night and this morning

Just heard Team 10 scratched as well.  This is one of the top Polaris teams.  These guys were very well prepared.  As soon as I hear what took them out I will let everyone know.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Back Country Rebel said:

Team 37 scratched a few hours ago in McGrath.  I don't know the cause but it may have been because of the nasty temps last night and this morning

Just heard Team 10 scratched as well.  This is one of the top Polaris teams.  These guys were very well prepared.  As soon as I hear what took them out I will let everyone know.  

You don't post to FB and tell everyone 'Mechanical'....lol!  Dang guys know better than that! :)

This just in.  Team 5 had a head on collision with another team coming out of the Poorman Checkpoint.  Jerrods sled is totaled and he may have broken bones.  Plane just left for McGrath to pick up someone with broken bones in Poorman.  They said the collision was with one of the Team Maine guys but both Maine teams are moving toward the yukon at speed.  I will keep ya posted as I hear more.

Edited by Back Country Rebel

54 minutes ago, Back Country Rebel said:

This just in.  Team 5 had a head on collision with another team coming out of the Poorman Checkpoint.  Jerrods sled is totaled and he may have broken bones.  Plane just left for McGrath to pick up someone with broken bones in Poorman.  They said the collision was with one of the Team Maine guys but both Maine teams are moving toward the yukon at speed.  I will keep ya posted as I hear more.

Any more news on the crash?

13 minutes ago, ckf said:

Any more news on the crash?

The check point in Poorman us a couple hundred yards off the actual Iron Dog trail.  It's one way in and the same way out.  My understanding is Jerrod Vaughn of Team 5 was coming out of the check point and he collided with one of the Team 39 riders.  Jerrods sled was wiped out and he has a couple of broken bones but nothing life threatening.  I'm thinking an arm or something.  My understanding is the checker contacted IDHQ in McGrath and they dispatched a plane to go get Jerrod.  I know Team 5 has a Sat Phone they can text with so that is another way they could have called for help.  

The second half of Team 5 is now headed to Ruby with the other teams traveling to the Yukon River. 

• Like 1

The plane was able to make it in and pick up Jerrod Vaughn and get him to a doctor.  He just landed in Galena.  Not sure if they can patch him back together there or just stabilize him for a flight to Anchorage tomorrow.  For now he is safe and warm.  This is very good news.

• Like 5