Check your account email address ×

Anyone have Ram boxes on their truck?

Sksman

While looking at new trucks saw one with Ramboxes on it.  First said no way.  Then after thought maybe and now considering it.

i work in sales to construction companies.  Sites can be muddy and wet.  Boots and safety gear goes in back seat often.   Rambox for me could hold alot of the clutter.

i know you loose bed width.

Has anyone had them?

Or a friend have them?

2 hours ago, Sksman said:

While looking at new trucks saw one with Ramboxes on it.  First said no way.  Then after thought maybe and now considering it.

i work in sales to construction companies.  Sites can be muddy and wet.  Boots and safety gear goes in back seat often.   Rambox for me could hold alot of the clutter.

i know you loose bed width.

Has anyone had them?

Or a friend have them?

I don't like the looks of them nor did I see the need for them. In your case, and many others, I can understand why people choose them.

You don't necessarily lose any width, just the space in front and behind the wheel well as far as I know? I still think a sheet of plywood will fit in there no problem? 

• Platinum Contributing Member

i have them. love them.

booster cables, windshield washer fluid, rachet straps, snow brush, some rags, All the crap that used to clutter my floor and back seat.

11 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

i have them. love them.

booster cables, windshield washer fluid, rachet straps, snow brush, some rags, All the crap that used to clutter my floor and back seat.

Exactly what i was looking at.

Even with regular bed and toneau cover i still end up with extra stuff in back seat that i could easily loose in side boxes.  

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

i have them. love them.

You drive a Dodge?!?!? Thought you were a Ford guy.

I am sure they are great if you leave the back open or install tunnel cover.....I usually install cap for my dog that goes in the back, so useless to me.

On 2/19/2017 at 4:24 PM, Stoney said:

You drive a Dodge?!?!? Thought you were a Ford guy.

I am sure they are great if you leave the back open or install tunnel cover.....I usually install cap for my dog that goes in the back, so useless to me.

Yes, I have a '12. I've been driving it for a year. I like it but I am a Ford guy at heart. I'll be going back to a Ford in a couple of years if I stick to my plan.

IMG_20151110_110947.thumb.jpg.01ab160462a841c89d60a08bc383e14a.jpg

20 hours ago, Sksman said:

Its amazing that everyone i have talked to with Ram boxes or most i have read about on internet who has them love them yet you go on most lots and there are no trucks or maybe one with them.

Honestly, this truck came with them but I thought its just a gimmick, not going to get used. But like I said, I have the stuff I regularly use on the driver's side and the less used on the other. Works great for me.

The only draw back I see really is that with them you can't have a cap or a tonneau cover on the box. To me that would be a deal breaker. Things in the box are not secured if you stop in a parking lot and exposed to the weather. I always put a cap on my truck.

57 minutes ago, 02sled said:

The only draw back I see really is that with them you can't have a cap or a tonneau cover on the box. To me that would be a deal breaker. Things in the box are not secured if you stop in a parking lot and exposed to the weather. I always put a cap on my truck.

That would suck if you could not use a tonneau cover, but a cap would likely not require them as most are used by contractors with much more internal storage needs. 

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, I have a '12. I've been driving it for a year. I like it but I am a Ford guy at heart. I'll be going back to a Ford in a couple of years if I stick to my plan.

IMG_20151110_110947.thumb.jpg.01ab160462a841c89d60a08bc383e14a.jpg

Honestly, this truck came with them but I thought its just a gimmick, not going to get used. But like I said, I have the stuff I regularly use on the driver's side and the less used on the other. Works great for me.

That looks good considering is a write off-salvage.Puzzle clean the title?lol

4 minutes ago, gtserider said:

That looks good considering is a write off-salvage.Puzzle clean the title?lol

He charges up the ass for it but he gets the job done.

Before pic.

IMG_20150312_134721.thumb.jpg.7d8dead237fedd95ee51017499b1b052.jpg

2 hours ago, 02sled said:

You can get Toneau covers for the box.  Hard or soft.  Folding, roll up.  

No caps that i am aware of.

They are not for everybody.  My first thought was i cant get my atv in the truck.  But since 2011 when i bought atv i have never put it in the back of my truck anyways.  I have a trailer for it.

Now to find the right truck at right price for me.

Kinda hard to put a sled in there..... although we did figure Gary for a cap guy. 

5 hours ago, 02sled said:

Good job on the repair Tim, but those boxes are nasty lookin'....... I'm sure they're practical though. 

And the 2 tone paint and chrome have to go...... looks like Gary's snowblower. 

Wrap that bitch with your corporate stuff!

Edited by Puzzleboy

7 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Kinda hard to put a sled in there..... although we did figure Gary for a cap guy. 

Our sleds go into the hybrid trailer. I opened the wallet since I'm not so cheap that I would choose to put the sled in the back of the truck. I kind of figured your pockets would be deep enough for an enclosed trailer rather than the dirty ride in the back of the truck.

10 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Good job on the repair Tim, but those boxes are nasty lookin'....... I'm sure they're practical though. 

And the 2 tone paint and chrome have to go...... looks like Gary's snowblower. 

Wrap that bitch with your corporate stuff!

Sorry but I still like chrome. The blacked out trucks are ok, just not my taste.

And I did ask the body guys to monotone it in the burgundy and they didn't want to.

I don't see what the problem is with the Ram box as far as look. I like it.

Was just an example; namely, that caps limit a truck's utility (and make it a bit ghey).  You might as well just buy an SUV.  Which is what I did, once I realized I need a pickup about 1% of the time. 

Our sleds go into the hybrid trailer. I opened the wallet since I'm not so cheap that I would choose to put the sled in the back of the truck. I kind of figured your pockets would be deep enough for an enclosed trailer rather than the dirty ride in the back of the truck.

47 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Was just an example; namely, that caps limit a truck's utility (and make it a bit ghey).  You might as well just buy an SUV.  Which is what I did, once I realized I need a pickup about 1% of the time. 

My wife had 4 Explorers over the years and I personally didn't enjoy driving them even though they were loaded Explorer Limiteds. I found them small and comparably uncomfortable even though one of them even had vibrating seats. I've been driving pickups since 75 and haven't any plans to change. Briefly I considered an Expedition but couldn't see myself loading it up with some of the stuff I put in the back of the truck.

I can lift the cap off the truck in minutes if I really need to. So far I've been able to put everything in the truck I've wanted to with the cap on. Even my snowblower. :)

Explorers were essentially a Ford Ranger with a cap on them, and weren't known for comfort.  Although Stevie would have felt right at home in the vibrating seat.....

So your snowblower, and you with a helmet can fit under that cap?  That's some cap.....

21 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Explorers were essentially a Ford Ranger with a cap on them, and weren't known for comfort.  Although Stevie would have felt right at home in the vibrating seat.....

So your snowblower, and you with a helmet can fit under that cap?  That's some cap.....

I just said the snowblower fit under the cap nothing about me.

The Explorer was the #1 selling SUV for a very long time until people started looking more to the smaller "compact" SUV's which I'm just not fond of. I guess it was comfortable enough but compared to my King Ranch Pickup I felt it wasn't roomy aka comfortable enough for my liking. The wife's Explorers were all the Limited versions which didn't skimp on the creature comforts. The vibrating seats were a free bonus. We had ordered the Explorer and it had just arrived at the dealer. The GM called and asked if we would mind if they added vibration to the front captains seats. It seems there was a company nearby that provided the vibration feature for motor homes and wanted to be a supplier for Ford. They were installed, a bunch of execs from Ford came and sat in the seats while they went through the about 10 different vibration modes and we got the vibration for free. It was added to the factory seats. Nice bonus and was really good on a long drive.