Check your account email address ×

How true is this

1 hour ago, Anler said:

I raised a family and bought several houses working in the trades. Not sure why young people don't appreciate the opportunity to have a valuable skill that can give you a pretty good life. 

My dad was pissed when at 14 I told him I wanted to take over his company when he retired (construction). “You’re going to work in an office and wear a white shirt and tie” he said.

He was right about the job, but I just did the construction in my spare time (fixing up houses) because it’s what I really enjoyed doing. :lol: 

8 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Wrong I know some die hard Trumpers who are Jim.

Remember republicans rely on fed handouts too.

Oh , bullshit, you don’t know anyone outside the nursing home 

• Haha 1

My 24 year old nephew was over for supper. He was lucky enough to get a full time job with our Township Public works as a laborer. Decent pay,,pension,,medical bennys,he can walk to work.All of us were stoked when he got it relatively unskilled. At supper he told me that this job isn't his life and he wants to do soemthing to make a difference.I told him it will make a difference to his standards of living and bank account. He said he wanted more,I wasked what,,,he said not sure. I flipped my wig then on him.I put a roof over his head and food on his table for his last year of high school so I have a little influence. He's sheepish around me now.

2 hours ago, Anler said:

I raised a family and bought several houses working in the trades. Not sure why young people don't appreciate the opportunity to have a valuable skill that can give you a pretty good life. 

Don’t forget the MAGA sleds we bought with that union money. 

• Gold Member
5 hours ago, Anler said:

Because there entire life they were told by the teachers they needed to go to college or they’ll be a loser working at McDonald’s. 

5 hours ago, Cold War said:

👍

I can’t even tell you the last time a young person has stopped in and said I want to learn how to do this .  I mean, I will pay you while you learn the trade.  
No takers!  

Been a while here too. The owner and I were just talking about this Friday no one’s coming in for a job not even the drunken guy that goes to a different shop every three months has come in 😂. I guess I can’t blame people for not getting in or getting out of the trade you gotta be perfectly efficient to make good money in the flat rate game and I’ve yet to hear of a hourly shop that pays more than you’d make driving a box truck these day so not exactly things that have people lining up to apply and learn the trade.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Because there entire life they were told by the teachers they needed to go to college or they’ll be a loser working at McDonald’s. 

Been a while here too. The owner and I were just talking about this Friday no one’s coming in for a job not even the drunken guy that goes to a different shop every three months has come in 😂. I guess I can’t blame people for not getting in or getting out of the trade you gotta be perfectly efficient to make good money in the flat rate game and I’ve yet to hear of a hourly shop that pays more than you’d make driving a box truck these day so not exactly things that have people lining up to apply and learn the trade.

Yep…starting to see that “you must go to college” mantra change around here thankfully. East Jordan Schools which is 14 miles from me has a very good welding program and seem to embrace the idea of skilled trades and vocational programs as an option for students.👍🏼🇺🇸

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Yep…starting to see that “you must go to college” mantra change around here thankfully. East Jordan Schools which is 14 miles from me has a very good welding program and seem to embrace the idea of skilled trades and vocational programs as an option for students.👍🏼🇺🇸

WElders are another occupation in short supply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

WElders are another occupation in short supply.

Yep…It was good to see all the kids in that program.👍🏼🇺🇸

• Gold Member
3 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

That’s good to hear. 👍 They got rid of wood shop class shorty after my grade went through it. later we were allowed to bus 30mins away to another school to do diesel mechanics and welding all skills I still use today can’t say that for most the other crap they taught in high school 😂 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Yep…It was good to see all the kids in that program.👍🏼🇺🇸

That Moran place in Onaway that builds the Mackinaw island ferries had so much trouble finding welders they decided to start their own school for it. Not sure how it’s working out but I thought that was a great idea, for them and the community.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

That’s good to hear. 👍 They got rid of wood shop class shorty after my grade went through it. later we were allowed to bus 30mins away to another school to do diesel mechanics and welding all skills I still use today can’t say that for most the other crap they taught in high school 😂 

I learned things in Middle School Shop/Drafting in the late 70’s early 80’s that they don’t even teach in HS now much less Middle School.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I learned things in Middle School Shop/Drafting in the late 70’s early 80’s that they don’t even teach in HS now much less Middle School.

I learned to sew and cook in middle school. 😂

Im sure they don’t teach that anymore.  

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Cold War said:

👍

I can’t even tell you the last time a young person has stopped in and said I want to learn how to do this .  I mean, I will pay you while you learn the trade.  
No takers!  

the one spot where the workforce is really missing people and the "people don't want to work" mantra really rings through is in the 16-24 age group where workforce participations been falling dramaticlaly for 20+ years.  I don't really get that.  At that age almost everyone is capable fo working and should be.  10 percent drop meanwhile the 55+ has ising dramatically as people can't afford to retire.  I'd guess recent stock market drop if it continues through summer will see even more in the 55+ group come back into the workforce.  

workforce.PNG

5 minutes ago, Cold War said:

I learned that too!👍🏼🤣

We also celebrate our young adults when they graduate and receive their degree from college like it's some kind of holy grail. When our young adults graduate tech school or get a license in the trades...............big fucking deal and hardly a peep. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cold War said:

nope its silly.  my kids went to the same jr high i did and all that was gone when they got there.  They went from 'jr high" to middle school curriculum which apparently means eliminating anything that all could really use for skills like cooking sewing and shop.  all of which i enjoyed in school

Just now, snoughnut said:

We also celebrate our young adults when they graduate and receive their degree from college like it's some kind of holy grail. When our young adults graduate tech school or get a license in the trades...............big fucking deal and hardly a peep. 

cost me 80k for the boy to walk across the stage saturday i should be celebrated.  

done.jpg

• Like 2

• Gold Member
14 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

the one spot where the workforce is really missing people and the "people don't want to work" mantra really rings through is in the 16-24 age group where workforce participations been falling dramaticlaly for 20+ years.  I don't really get that.  At that age almost everyone is capable fo working and should be.  10 percent drop meanwhile the 55+ has ising dramatically as people can't afford to retire.  I'd guess recent stock market drop if it continues through summer will see even more in the 55+ group come back into the workforce.  

workforce.PNG

That’s not really a surprise with them pushing college like they have been. Most under 24 are in college racking up student loans. I went to school with plenty of kids who weren’t allowed to work if they were in school because the parents said the needed to focus on learning not working.

• Gold Member
7 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

cost me 80k for the boy to walk across the stage saturday i should be celebrated.  

done.jpg

On the bold that is the problem kids are given everything by the parents these days and you wonder why the numbers of them working has gone down.

congratulations to him though 👍 

2 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

That’s not really a surprise with them pushing college like they have been. Most under 24 are in college racking up student loans. I went to school with plenty of kids who weren’t allowed to work if they were in school because the parents said the needed to focus on learning not working.

should still be working while in school.   amazing the number of kids who don't.  both my kids had to get jobs as HS freshman and oh have worked througout college.   right now my sons in the only period he has not had a job in 8 years and thats because he doesn't start his job until June 21.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

On the bold that is the problem kids are given everything by the parents these days and you wonder why the numbers of them working has gone down.

congratulations to him though 👍 

UNH is about 130k all in.   I had put aside 4 years state college tuition when the kids were born,  the rest was on them.  His body would nto let him do physical job after 3 acl tears but i'd have certainly supported a trade in his case witout that issue.  Or better yet military to figure out life for a few years without paying 30k+ year for that.  

Edited by Angry ginger
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

should still be working while in school.   amazing the number of kids who don't.  both my kids had to get jobs as HS freshman and oh have worked througout college.   right now my sons in the only period he has not had a job in 8 years and thats because he doesn't start his job until June 21.  

My daughter got her BS a few weeks back and starts Nursing School in the fall…thankfully she likes to work and is fairly independent…she is staying in Marquette again this Summer and while I miss her it has worked out well for all of us.👍🏼

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

My daughter got her BS a few weeks back and starts Nursing School in the fall…thankfully she likes to work and is fairly independent…she is staying in Marquette again this Summer and while I miss her it has worked out well for all of us.👍🏼

Son starts a job at Fidelity in a few weeks assuming he passes his piss test.   nice thing is they will pay back 15k of his student loans as well so combined with Biden bucks he should be debt free before 30.   

Daughter has not come home in 2 summers,  shes headed to Italy weds and i'll prob go see her as shes passing through Boston on the way to Florence which should be the only time i see her this summer.  

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 8:56 AM, Mainecat said:

Wrong I know some die hard Trumpers who are Jim.

Remember republicans rely on fed handouts too.

Name 2 Jim's you know who voted for Trump? 

Edited by Ez ryder

9 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Was talking with a customer few weeks back . Her kid is getting out of nursing school in a few weeks . Has her job lined up . Fucking nuts she is pulling 100k first yr out .

Guess she works every Fri to mo day for 2 yrs with her contract .

We built a bathroom in the basement because she is moving home for a yr to pay off her school before buying a house .