Check your account email address ×

Folks with their Green Energy

Wind energy company kills 150 eagles in US, pleads guilty

A wind energy company has been sentenced to probation and ordered to pay more than $8 million in fines and restitution after at least 150 eagles were killed over the past decade at its wind farms across the U.S.

By MATTHEW BROWN Associated Press
April 6, 2022, 1:44 PM

WireAP_3c095161b9bb40da902d3c8142d25159_

3:32

On Location: April 6, 2022

Catch up on the developing stories making headlines.
The Associated Press

BILLINGS, Mont. -- A wind energy company was sentenced to probation and ordered to pay more than $8 million in fines and restitution after at least 150 eagles were killed over the past decade at its wind farms in eight states, federal prosecutors said Wednesday.

NextEra Energy subsidiary ESI Energy pleaded guilty to three counts of violating the Migratory Bird Treaty Act during a Tuesday court appearance in Cheyenne, Wyoming. It was charged criminally in the deaths of nine eagles at three of its wind farms in Wyoming and New Mexico.

In addition to those deaths, ESI acknowledged the deaths of golden and bald eagles at 50 wind farms affiliated with ESI and NextEra since 2012. The birds died in eight states, prosecutors said: Wyoming, California, New Mexico, North Dakota, Colorado, Michigan, Arizona and Illinois.

The birds are killed when they fly into the blades of wind turbines. Some ESI turbines killed multiple eagles and because the carcasses are not always found, officials said the number killed was likely higher than the 150 birds cited by prosecutors in court documents.

NextEra's plea deal comes amid a push by President Joe Biden for more renewable energy from wind, solar and other sources to help reduce climate changing emissions. It also follows a renewed commitment by federal wildlife officials under Biden to enforce protections for eagles and other birds under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, after criminal prosecutions were halted under former President Donald Trump.

It’s illegal to kill or harm eagles under federal law.

The bald eagle — the U.S. national symbol — was removed from protection under the Endangered Species Act in 2007, following a dramatic recovery from widespread decimation due to harmful pesticides and other problems. Wildlife officials say more than 300,000 bald eagles now occupy the U.S., not including Alaska.

Golden eagles have not fared as well, with populations considered stable but under pressure from wind farms, collisions with vehicles, illegal shootings and poisoning from lead ammunition. There are an estimated 31,800 golden eagles in the Western U.S., according to a study released last week by leading eagle researchers from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and other entities.

More than 2,000 golden eagles are killed annually due to human causes, or about 60% of all deaths, the researchers said. The study concluded that golden eagle deaths “will likely increase in the future” because of wind energy development and other human activities.

Companies historically have been able to avoid prosecution under the century-old Migratory Bird Treaty if they take steps to avoid bird deaths and seek permits for those that occur. ESI did not seek such a permit, authorities said.

The company was warned prior to building the wind farms in New Mexico and Wyoming that they would kill birds, but it proceeded anyway and at times ignored advice from federal wildlife officials about how to minimize the deaths, according to court documents.

“For more than a decade, ESI has violated (wildlife) laws, taking eagles without obtaining or even seeking the necessary permit," said Assistant Attorney General Todd Kim of the Justice Department’s Environment and Natural Resources Division in a statement.

ESI agreed under a plea deal to spend up to $27 million during its five-year probationary period on measures to prevent future eagle deaths. That includes shutting down turbines at times when eagles are more likely to be present.

Despite those measures, wildlife officials anticipate that some eagles still could die. When that happens, the company will pay $29,623 per dead eagle, under the agreement.

NextEra President Rebecca Kujawa said collisions of birds with wind turbines are unavoidable accidents that should not be criminalized. She said the Juno Beach, Florida-based company —which bills itself as the world's largest utility company by market value — is committed to reducing damage to wildlife from its projects.

“We disagree with the government's underlying enforcement activity,” Kujawa said in a statement. “Building any structure, driving any vehicle, or flying any airplane carries with it a possibility that accidental eagle and other bird collisions may occur.”

Edited by XCR1250

4 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Millions of people do.

Well that’s because they were programmed to care from birth. It’s just a stupid bird and they are like sky rats. Everywhere 

1 minute ago, HSR said:

As many as 36 have been counted at our garbage dump.Small town too.

I see them everywhere here....6 weeks ago I’m in an island in the Gulf of Mexico and there’s one in a tree above me....fucking sky rats. Seagulls are just as interesting lol

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

I see them everywhere here....6 weeks ago I’m in an island in the Gulf of Mexico and there’s one in a tree above me....fucking sky rats. Seagulls are just as interesting lol

They're just a fucking scavenger like a turkey vulture but without the Woolie haircut. 

51 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

You want to see an interesting seagull. Toss the cocksucker a alka seltzer.

Isn’t that supposed to kill them?? Not that there’s anything wrong with that. :lol:

Stupid eagles!!! Soaring around thinking they’re so special.  Can see a mouse from a mile away, but can’t see a big ass windmill right in front of them?  

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

One windy day, if true. BFD. :news:

What happens when the wind doesn't blow or blows as strong as it did this one day? My gut tells me, because it is from Yahoo News, it is just likely more fake news/propaganda.

Nuclear power, despite what your article reads, does not release greenhouse gases to the atmosphere. That is fake news. 

Nuclear power plants produce no greenhouse gas emissions during operation, and over the course of its life-cycle, nuclear produces about the same amount of carbon dioxide-equivalent emissions per unit of electricity as wind, and one-third of the emissions per unit of electricity when compared with solar.

UK to build 8 nuclear reactors amid new energy strategy.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/uk-build-nuclear-reactors-amid-energy-strategy-83928424

https://stopthesethings.com/2020/03/16/the-great-wind-delusion-why-wind-power-is-worse-than-useless/

https://www.city-journal.org/wind-power-is-not-the-answer

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 minutes ago, irv said:

One windy day, if true. BFD. :news:

What happens when the wind doesn't blow or blows as strong as it did this one day? My gut tells me, because it is from Yahoo News, it is just likely more fake news/propaganda.

Nuclear power, despite what your article reads, does not release greenhouse gases to the atmosphere. That is fake news. 

Nuclear power plants produce no greenhouse gas emissions during operation, and over the course of its life-cycle, nuclear produces about the same amount of carbon dioxide-equivalent emissions per unit of electricity as wind, and one-third of the emissions per unit of electricity when compared with solar.

UK to build 8 nuclear reactors amid new energy strategy.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/uk-build-nuclear-reactors-amid-energy-strategy-83928424

https://stopthesethings.com/2020/03/16/the-great-wind-delusion-why-wind-power-is-worse-than-useless/

https://www.city-journal.org/wind-power-is-not-the-answer

Irv relax.....those numbers are from the EIA which is pretty much standard reference...it isn't fake news. And it also never stated nuclear power as creating greenhouse gases. I don't know where you read that. I have no issue with nuclear or oil for that matter

7 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Irv relax.....those numbers are from the EIA which is pretty much standard reference...it isn't fake news. And it also never stated nuclear power as creating greenhouse gases. I don't know where you read that. I have no issue with nuclear or oil for that matter

They lumped it all in alluding that Nuclear also produces greenhouse gases.

Wind turbines generated more than 2,000 gigawatt-hours of electricity in the U.S. on Tuesday, March 29, more than was provided by nuclear and coal power plants that day. Wind power, which is renewable and does not release greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, still trailed the electricity produced by natural gas, but it was the first time in U.S. history that wind turbines outperformed nuclear and coal power.

This "green energy" climate change/global warming scam is just that, a scam. I worked in Nuclear 36 yrs so I've heard my share of doom and gloom and other B.S. stories over the years and this is just another one. 

Thankfully, like I linked above, many places, despite how they slammed Nuclear every chance they could, have now seen the light. Billions and billions were wasted, however, unnecessarily on their anti-nuclear movement. 

Edited by irv

2 minutes ago, irv said:

They lumped it all in alluding that Nuclear also produces greenhouse gases.

Wind turbines generated more than 2,000 gigawatt-hours of electricity in the U.S. on Tuesday, March 29, more than was provided by nuclear and coal power plants that day. Wind power, which is renewable and does not release greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, still trailed the electricity produced by natural gas, but it was the first time in U.S. history that wind turbines outperformed nuclear and coal power.

This "green energy" climate change/global warming scam is just that, a scam. I worked in Nuclear 36 yrs so I've heard my share of doom and gloom and other B.S. stories over the years and this is just another one. 

Thankfully, like I linked above, many places, despite how they slammed Nuclear every chance they could, have now seen the light. Billions and billions were wasted, however, unnecessarily on their anti-nuclear movement. 

I didn't really get that impression of   everything lumped together but I guess you could read whatever you want into it. I was just surprised at how much wind power has progressed over the years.

And if they really do put Farms off the coast ,there is almost always wind there..... I'm certainly not against that and getting power from a variety of sources is not necessarily A Bad Thing

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

I didn't really get that impression of   everything lumped together but I guess you could read whatever you want into it. I was just surprised at how much wind power has progressed over the years.

And if they really do put Farms off the coast ,there is almost always wind there..... I'm certainly not against that and getting power from a variety of sources is not necessarily A Bad Thing

this

17 hours ago, f7ben said:

The eagle is the perfect representation of the USA. A predatory scavenger living off the rotting corpses of those that came before it. 

:lol: You really should be writing some of these quips down :lol: 

2 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

At what cost??? I'm not either but when they are completely razing carbon absorbing/oxygen producing forests, without speaking of the wildlife habitats they are destroying, I get a little angry. 

If you haven't yet, watch Planet of Humans if you think this "green energy" movement is all about saving the planet. The only thing "green" about it is the "green" these crooks are putting in their pockets. https://www.fraserinstitute.org/article/wind-and-solar-power-the-myth-of-green-energy

54 minutes ago, irv said:

At what cost??? I'm not either but when they are completely razing carbon absorbing/oxygen producing forests, without speaking of the wildlife habitats they are destroying, I get a little angry. 

If you haven't yet, watch Planet of Humans if you think this "green energy" movement is all about saving the planet. The only thing "green" about it is the "green" these crooks are putting in their pockets. https://www.fraserinstitute.org/article/wind-and-solar-power-the-myth-of-green-energy

I'll try to check out that link later but I don't know about that movie if Michael Moore has anything to do with it personally I think he's a scumbag