Check your account email address ×

the new elephant in the room...

let's discuss the Polaris 9R 

haven't had much time to do my DD on their latest potential consumer catastrophe yet, so what do we in the know actually know?

impressed they brought it to market no less as I thought the road might end at 850cc

It's a crazy market right now.  Limited new sleds from Polaris and Ski-Doo.  Arctic Cat who knows what they're doing if anything.  Used sleds are insane.  Just sold my wife's (my old sled) 2021 VR1 6300 miles for what I bought it for. 

Edited by Doug

35 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Where is the 900R XCR?

I can very much see this mill coming to a flatland sled soon if it has a good track record in the mountains, don't know which one but a quick revving 7%+hp would have to be amusing in the right circumstance.  In the Snowwest video it was cool of him to compare the boost against the 9R.   How did they meet EPA I do wonder?  Years of experience, good and bad with the 800?  Clearly I have no need or desire to own one, but am impressed they tamed a mod motor enough to sell it to the general public.  

21 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I can very much see this mill coming to a flatland sled soon if it has a good track record in the mountains, don't know which one but a quick revving 7%+hp would have to be amusing in the right circumstance.  In the Snowwest video it was cool of him to compare the boost against the 9R.   How did they meet EPA I do wonder?  Years of experience, good and bad with the 800?  Clearly I have no need or desire to own one, but am impressed they tamed a mod motor enough to sell it to the general public.  

Did bike man dyno the 900@210 HP yet?

28 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Fast revving wins for me.  I don't "need" to go more than 90, but throttle response is the key to a shit eating grin.  Figure it'd pair nicely with the XCR shocks and a 1.5" 136.  Somehow I trust NA more than turbo...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Fast revving wins for me.  I don't "need" to go more than 90, but throttle response is the key to a shit eating grin.  Figure it'd pair nicely with the XCR shocks and a 1.5" 136.  Somehow I trust NA more than turbo...

I bet stock for stock that 900 will give the boost fits at sea level until someone puts a tune in it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Not greg b said:

I bet stock for stock that 900 will give the boost fits at sea level until someone puts a tune in it.

Put that mill in a bare bones XC with a heavily studded 128x14x1 track, proper clutching and gearing and head to the pond.   

9R = F7 ?

39 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

And i expect will last more miles on average as well.

Probably. I wonder how well that boost will do when someone puts some back woods, year old 87 octane in it because that’s all the place had. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deephaven said:

And i expect will last more miles on average as well.

I know which one I'd feel more comfortable purchasing used without a warranty.

2 hours ago, Not greg b said:

Probably. I wonder how well that boost will do when someone puts some back woods, year old 87 octane in it because that’s all the place had. 

Wait until they cobble one up like it's a diesel.  

Q; Who makes a cold air intake for these?

Q; What kind of can...?

Q; Who's tune puts up the biggest numbers and will it void my warranty? 

:lol:

52 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I know which one I'd feel more comfortable purchasing used without a warranty.

Wait until they cobble one up like it's a diesel.  

Q; Who makes a cold air intake for these?

Q; What kind of can...?

Q; Who's tune puts up the biggest numbers and will it void my warranty? 

:lol:

Answer to number 3 is bikeman. Their dyno is 10-15hp higher than anyone 

9 minutes ago, krom said:

they haven't figured out the crank in the 840 yet, but came out with a "new lightweight" crank for the 900....

It's better than the crank in Cat's 840 or 900 :thumbsup: Just sayin'  

25 minutes ago, krom said:

they haven't figured out the crank in the 840 yet, but came out with a "new lightweight" crank for the 900....

They figured it out. Add More loctite in the factory tent 

28 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

Yes and they came out with their own version called loctite Poo.  Supposedly 10X stronger than Red.

27 minutes ago, jdsky said:

Yes and they came out with their own version called loctite Poo.  Supposedly 10X stronger than Red.

Supposed to be brown in color and in a brown bottle 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, krom said:

Sounds like Carl's did all the r&d, top of the case is different.  Factory mod to retail public... that's the real gamble.

1 hour ago, Not greg b said:

That's were they have the Afghan refugees doing the re-assembly of the Turbos and installing the coolant hoses.

18 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Sounds like Carl's did all the r&d, top of the case is different.  Factory mod to retail public... that's the real gamble.

That's were they have the Afghan refugees doing the re-assembly of the Turbos and installing the coolant hoses.

"factory mod"

even you fell for this marketing bs???

Its a production engine.....

going to be just as "reliable" as any other factory production poo over 600 cc built in the last 20 years.....

Edited by krom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, krom said:

"factory mod"

even you fell for this marketing bs???

Its a production engine.....

going to be just as "reliable" as any other factory production poo over 600 cc built in the last 20 years.....

If it's like any of my 800's and 850 for 2012 on that's a good thing.