Check your account email address ×

New engine for Polaris?

31 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

Mother textron bought Weber a few years back. I believe the new engines in cat’s dirt side are Weber designs 

Hopefully they updated those motors because it uses ancient tech by today's standards. 

3 hours ago, Legend said:

Here is a pic of a polaris boost engine. image.thumb.png.d0bbf943d3f83964e9e86b4ebee04cf7.pngThat vid of the poo engine has no turbo. 

I understand poo wants to maximize their investment, but I just cant see how they can make a low elevation 2 stroke work. The boost right now is close to the edge of needing more than pump gas. 

My bud has a boost, and we rode all last week at 9k+ elevation. It would get moderate DET while in break in mode. Once the added oil break in was done the DET stopped. And its not like the sled used alot of oil even on break in mode. He used less than my Axys 800. 

Now someone puts a tune on them ( and tunes are coming soon) at low elevation.....I doubt it would make it WOT for more than 5 seconds. 

The config in the promo vid doesn't look anything like that rendition so perhaps its a 900 something? I don't understand why a turbo version wouldn't work down low? It has all the necessary protections to prevent det. Wastegate, knock sensor, and some other gizmo that varies the boost level/fuel delivery based on temp, exhaust gas pressure, and altitude. I think it could live down low just fine. Although there may be some disappointment with power delivery not meeting the same expectations as it does up high. But back to my point, I don't see any new stuff coming from Polaris in the area of snowmobile 4S. 

8 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Ah, I see what you're saying. Swissauto did the development work for Weber. Makes sense. Are Weber motors used any longer? Seems like they died a pretty quick death after Polaris dropped them. 

Textron bought weber and used a variation of that engine in the stampede and havoc sxs's which have since died off.   Maybe we will see another variation of it come back in a cat sled or sxs in the future?

7 hours ago, spin_dry said:

The config in the promo vid doesn't look anything like that rendition so perhaps its a 900 something? I don't understand why a turbo version wouldn't work down low? It has all the necessary protections to prevent det. Wastegate, knock sensor, and some other gizmo that varies the boost level/fuel delivery based on temp, exhaust gas pressure, and altitude. I think it could live down low just fine. Although there may be some disappointment with power delivery not meeting the same expectations as it does up high. But back to my point, I don't see any new stuff coming from Polaris in the area of snowmobile 4S. 

The psi of boost would have to be low, like 3 psi.  Thats way out of the efficiency range. The power curve wouldnt be as good.

More boost and you have scrap metal. 

If Poo wants to make 180hp at sea level, its cheaper for them to build a BB than to use the turbo 850. They will make more $$$ charging 20K for a 180hp BB than 20K for a  180hp turbo. 

Edited by Legend

On 2/15/2022 at 9:51 AM, Highmark said:

Doesn't sound like a 4 stroke.  Burandt and the guys who run the Carl's Cycle 900 kit claim its almost like the Poo engine was designed with a slightly bigger bore in mind.

That is definitely a 2 stroke. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Anler said:

That is definitely a 2 stroke. 

Yes, has a tuned pipe/expansion chamber. 

Edited by Highmark

• Platinum Contributing Member

Honestly I really don't see Poo coming with something bigger than the 850 however they were one upped by Doo on the production turbo and smart suspension by a year so who knows. 

That video could be just to throw people off and the new engine being a 4 stroke however I don't see that either.   

Even though it most often ends in disappointment I've always loved this time of year waiting for the new releases.  :bc:

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

Polaris just sent me some stickers as a thank you for snowchecking my machine.

Got the same package and just kinda laughing to myself at that "gesture" ... I mean, what's a guy supposed to expect after waiting 2+ months for a snow check to show up?  STICKERS!!! :ylsuper:

• Gold Member
10 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Got the same package and just kinda laughing to myself at that "gesture" ... I mean, what's a guy supposed to expect after waiting 2+ months for a snow check to show up?  STICKERS!!! :ylsuper:

Yeah I saw some guys on HCS griping about getting stickers but no sled. Kinda hard not to see their point.

But hey! I got my sled AND my stickers!  :bc:

• Like 2