Hand Signals...

If I'm with a group and leading, I'll probably do your stupid hand signals if and when it's safe to do so.

When I'm riding solo, which I do quite often... no more hand signals from me.  That should be the 'standard' for solo riders... imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doomxz600 said:

Had a guy crossing the trail to tell me to slow down. His wife was a few miles back, SMH

Maybe he should slow down so his wife isn't a few miles behind him, fuck that guy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, lights are interesting :) ... However, as  I ride with mitts,  my sled has Whelen Strobe lights flashing during day light hours.....   hoping reflections will be seen by negligent riders cutting  corners, riding left of center.  As, I'm often alone I try to be visible.

Very limited hand signals for ⚠️ warnings etc 🤔 for contingent disaster avoidance may 😳 warrant risks...

Two hands makes for safer control of any sled.  

Edited by ICG
Spelling

1 hour ago, SkisNH said:

Still a fan of the ride light...it let's people know and you do t have to let go of the bars. 

:thumb:. Factory installed and legally mandated as a safety item , like head lights, tail lights....would add a comfort level..

Better yet!!  360 degree Anti Collision Avoidance Radar as modern aviation uses.  Operators would receive real time updates of approaching sleds. This could be approaching, and or anti collision avoidance.

32 minutes ago, ICG said:

:thumb:. Factory installed and legally mandated as a safety item , like head lights, tail lights....would add a comfort level..

Better yet!!  360 degree Anti Collision Avoidance Radar as modern aviation uses.  Operators would receive real time updates of approaching sleds. This could be approaching, and or anti collision avoidance.

We can joke about hand signals and ride lights, but safety is an important issue in our sport. We pulled 3 people out of the ditch on Friday. 2 had blown corners....timing is everything,  had another rider been there it would have been bad...if the lead rider had already past maybe he would have slowed down...

I don't know what the answer is either, but I would rather try something than throw up my hands and say oh well...nothing g I can do about it. 

• Like 2

Almost nothing until some horrific death involving a political family member happens.

Until reckless driving is treated similarly to highway statutes + enforced,  negligent attitudes will exist.

Maybe some remember the 30 pack racks on the back of a sled, and drinking was a common sight.

On 2/15/2022 at 6:47 PM, SkisNH said:

We can joke about hand signals and ride lights, but safety is an important issue in our sport. We pulled 3 people out of the ditch on Friday. 2 had blown corners....timing is everything,  had another rider been there it would have been bad...if the lead rider had already past maybe he would have slowed down...

I don't know what the answer is either, but I would rather try something than throw up my hands and say oh well...nothing g I can do about it. 

Hand signals and ride lights wouldn’t have helped them not blow a corner. I don’t really see the point of a ride light. The giant head light in the middle of the sled is a pretty good warning system 

33 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

Hand signals and ride lights wouldn’t have helped them not blow a corner. I don’t really see the point of a ride light. The giant head light in the middle of the sled is a pretty good warning system 

The ride light let's them know riders are following....they choose not to go into the turn out of control.

4 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

The ride light let's them know riders are following....they choose not to go into the turn out of control.

Ride lights are a false since if security. What if the switch gets bumped? They as effective as a head light. If you are blowing corners, you are going to fast and no combo of lights, flags, rev limiters, snow trackers is going to help you 

I signal unless I meet someone in a corner holding the right edge of the trail - if it warns the people coming at me there’s other riders behind me and they take a little more care it’s totally worth it to me.  I saw WAAAAY to many people cutting corners this weekend, and not just lead guys.  If throwing up a couple fingers makes them take notice for a few tenths of a mile until my crew passes them, then it was worth the effort.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

If throwing up a couple fingers makes them take notice for a few tenths of a mile until my crew passes them, then it was worth the effort. (Same as the ride light)

Agreed 100%

Edited by SkisNH
  • Like 1