Check your account email address ×

Supreme Court blocks nationwide vaccine and testing mandate for large businesses, allows health care worker vaccine mandate to take effect

20 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Kavanaugh let us down today on the federal mandates for health care workers that take federal funds.

Justice Samuel Alito, joined by conservatives Clarence Thomas, Neil Gorsuch and Amy Coney Barrett, dissented.
"Neither CMS nor the Court articulates a limiting principle for why, after an un-explained and unjustified delay, an agency can regulate first and listen later, and then put more than 10 million healthcare workers to the choice of their jobs or an irreversible medical treatment," Alito wrote.
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

let us down,  yes the supreme court should be more partisan not about the law.   SMH

Tell me, how can you mandate something that at this point clearly shows it isn't working, and where you can still catch and spread it while being fully vaccinated?

Not even talking about all the known side affects either. If anyone is OK with this B.S. they are as dense and blind as they come.  

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

let us down,  yes the supreme court should be more partisan not about the law.   SMH

Well doesn't it come down to your own interpretation of the law/constitution whether or not you agree with the SC?  I'm sure there are rulings we all disagree with.  In the end what they say goes.  :news:

Edited by Highmark

46 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

You never replied back about Mayo firing 700 workers and it being no big deal.  

Our governor is spending $40 million to bring in 350 workers for 2 months.  This is on top of letting covid positive and asymptomatic nurses stay on the job.

ST. PAUL, Minn. (WCCO) – Minnesota will spend $40 million in federal pandemic relief funds to hire more health care workers to help hospitals challenged by staffing as the Omicron variant spreads rapidly, Gov. Tim Walz announced Wednesday.

Walz said the state is looking to bring up to 350 more workers, mostly nurses, to work 60-hour weeks for the next two months. The state is working on a contract with a national staffing firm to bring in the new employees, who will be placed at different hospitals across the state based on need.

10 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

You never replied back about Mayo firing 700 workers and it being no big deal.  

Our governor is spending $40 million to bring in 350 workers for 2 months.  This is on top of letting covid positive and asymptomatic nurses stay on the job.

it is no big deal,  it's 1% what was there maybe 50-100 nurses out of the whole group.  Business including he mayo has a right to choose whether they want people vaccinated-  i don't agree that they should do it at the gov level but people way smarter than you and I on the subject of what the government can and cannot do let it stand in the healthcare environment.

I want the SC to make decision based on law not politics.   the political divide in this country is out of control at this point,  we don't need it there too.  

23 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

it is no big deal,  it's 1% what was there maybe 50-100 nurses out of the whole group.  Business including he mayo has a right to choose whether they want people vaccinated-  i don't agree that they should do it at the gov level but people way smarter than you and I on the subject of what the government can and cannot do let it stand in the healthcare environment.

I want the SC to make decision based on law not politics.   the political divide in this country is out of control at this point,  we don't need it there too.  

You realize they were one, let me emphasize that again, ONE vote away from this mandate being thrown out for healthcare workers taking Medicare/aid.  6-3 on the mandate for private employers.

Smartest people in the land.  :lol:

Edited by teamgreen02

8 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

people way smarter than you and I on the subject of what the government can and cannot do let it stand in the healthcare environment.

Just now, jtssrx said:

Cavanagh and Roberts siding with the left and the federal employees at hospitals mandate is total bullshit 

I always like to read the decisions of both the majority and minority in close cases like this. 

A few years ago I hear John Roberts (in person) say how he hated these 5-4 decisions. Sure you do John, sure you do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

You realize they were one, let me emphasize that again, ONE vote away from this mandate being upheld.

Smartest people in the land.  :lol:

OK.   that's why a barely right tilted SC is good but the last thing we need is a few more batshit righties or lefties added.  current splits about perfect.  Awesome that Trumps justices who were so cheered by the right lean more middle than expected.   Shows they actually are willing to look at law not politics.  

IMO had the science in reality  been what was sold a year ago the fed mandate would have been upheld as it was for smallpox.  only reason it is not is the vax does not stop transmission,   if it did it would have almost certainly been constitutional. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

OK.   that's why a barely right tilted SC is good but the last thing we need is a few more batshit righties or lefties added.  current splits about perfect.  Awesome that Trumps justices who were so cheered by the right lean more middle than expected.   Shows they actually are willing to look at law not politics.  

IMO had the science in reality  been what was sold a year ago the fed mandate would have been upheld as it was for smallpox.  only reason it is not is the vax does not stop transmission,   if it did it would have almost certainly been constitutional. 

Decision here.  https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/21a244_hgci.pdf  I'll pull out a few pieces and post them. 

I think it is important people read the actual cases and decisions instead of making an opinion based on a 60 second piece on the nightly news.

The Solicitor General does not dispute that OSHA is limited to regulating “work-related dangers.” Response Brief for OSHA in No. 21A244 etc., p. 45 (OSHA Response). She instead argues that the risk of contracting COVID–19 qualifies as such a danger. We cannot agree. Although COVID– 19 is a risk that occurs in many workplaces, it is not an occupational hazard in most. COVID–19 can and does spread at home, in schools, during sporting events, and everywhere else that people gather. That kind of universal risk is no Cite as: 595 U. S. ____ (2022) 7 Per Curiam different from the day-to-day dangers that all face from crime, air pollution, or any number of communicable diseases. Permitting OSHA to regulate the hazards of daily life—simply because most Americans have jobs and face those same risks while on the clock—would significantly expand OSHA’s regulatory authority without clear congressional authorization.

The dissent contends that OSHA’s mandate is comparable to a fire or sanitation regulation imposed by the agency.
See post, at 7–9. But a vaccine mandate is strikingly unlike
the workplace regulations that OSHA has typically imposed. A vaccination, after all, “cannot be undone at the
end of the workday.” In re MCP No. 165, 20 F. 4th, at 274
(Sutton, C. J., dissenting). Contrary to the dissent’s contention, imposing a vaccine mandate on 84 million Americans
in response to a worldwide pandemic is simply not “part of
what the agency was built for.” Post, at 10.

A couple other notable paragrahps.

In looking for legislative support for the vaccine mandate, the dissent turns to the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, Pub. L. 117–2, 135 Stat. 4. See post, at 8. That legislation, 8 NATIONAL FEDERATION OF INDEPENDENT BUSINESS v. OSHA Per Curiam signed into law on March 11, 2021, of course said nothing about OSHA’s vaccine mandate, which was not announced until six months later. In fact, the most noteworthy action concerning the vaccine mandate by either House of Congress has been a majority vote of the Senate disapproving the regulation on December 8, 2021. S. J. Res. 29, 117th Cong., 1st Sess. (2021).

It is not our role to weigh such tradeoffs. In our system of government, that is the responsibility of those chosen by the people through democratic processes. Although Congress has indisputably given OSHA the power to regulate occupational dangers, it has not given that agency the power to regulate public health more broadly. Requiring the vaccination of 84 million Americans, selected simply because they work for employers with more than 100 employees, certainly falls in the latter category. 

15 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

Four justices clearly thought it was unconstitutional and Kavanagh a Trump appointment should be siding with the constitution not a federal agency that’s not even aloud to exist bases on the constitution. Roberts is a political hack

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

Four justices clearly thought it was unconstitutional and Kavanagh a Trump appointment should be siding with the constitution not a federal agency that’s not even aloud to exist bases on the constitution. Roberts is a political hack

Actually, and to be honest, any judge that feels that any of these mandates are even remotely Constitutional should be removed from their position….head first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

Wrong.

14 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Actually, and to be honest, any judge that feels that any of these mandates are even remotely Constitutional should be removed from their position….head first.

Robert Barns said the justification for this is hospitals regularly mandate vaccines for workers and this mandate has a well defined medical and religious exception. So those that don’t want it will be able to object. 

I agree with you these mandates should be struck down across the board regardless of exceptions. 

7 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

Robert Barns said the justification for this is hospitals regularly mandate vaccines for workers and this mandate has a well defined medical and religious exception. So those that don’t want it will be able to object. 

I agree with you these mandates should be struck down across the board regardless of exceptions. 

Simply put, when the Biden appointee was caught stating that using businesses to enforce their will is a great “walk around [the Constitution]” should have ensured all of this idiocy should be tossed.

Also, leave it to the libtwats to make millions religious and even make up thousands of new religions in the process.  How “progressive”!!!

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

Can anyone think of any other thing gov or your employer can force you to put in your body that doesn't stop you from getting or spreading what the vaccine is for that could cause you adverse side effects or even death?   I don't care how remote the chance. 

Think about it this way.   Why didn't the govt just mandate it you were over 60 or had certain co-morbidities you had to take the vaccine?  You know basically the only people dying from this virus.    

The COVID vaccines are not like other "forced vaccinations" like to go to school.   In those cases those vaccines are sterilizing meaning you actually can't get the virus period and have decades of testing data. 

Edited by Highmark