Check your account email address ×

Galaxy tab A as GPS

1 hour ago, SkisNH said:

I was thinking I would put a hand warmer kit on the case...

If you keep it on and have it mounted to say the face of a bag the led should keep it warm enough to read . A hand warmer gets pretty fucking hot . The next stage guage was just a tablet and that was always readable 

• Like 1

cold will be an issue,  not bright screen , not weather proof.  If going cheap i'd use a Garmin nuvi,  i run a 7" screen one on my SxS.   seal up the edges with some silicone.  I like it better than my Montana 680 to the point i may run it on the sled as well   

17 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

cold will be an issue,  not bright screen , not weather proof.  If going cheap i'd use a Garmin nuvi,  i run a 7" screen one on my SxS.   seal up the edges with some silicone.  I like it better than my Montana 680 to the point i may run it on the sled as well   

Ive been looking on Craigslist and Market place, seems like I can get a 7" screen unit for 200.0 used thoughts?

1 hour ago, SkisNH said:

Ive been looking on Craigslist and Market place, seems like I can get a 7" screen unit for 200.0 used thoughts?

i paid $65 on ebay for my Nuvi 2757 and $35 for the ram bracket.  I killed one hitting it with the power washer,  learned my lesson on removing it at end of the ride.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, snowstorm said:

i have a new england trails gps unit for my sxs they have them for sleds also. it works pretty good. its a garmin referb with there mapping

Which 7" unit are you using? 

I had a 7 inch, but it’s quite large, covered up too much on dash. Just run a 5 inch now with VVmapping, who I highly recommend for midwest trails. You can find 5 inch garmins with lifetime map updates all day long for $25.

54 minutes ago, akvanden said:

I had a 7 inch, but it’s quite large, covered up too much on dash. Just run a 5 inch now with VVmapping, who I highly recommend for midwest trails. You can find 5 inch garmins with lifetime map updates all day long for $25.

Those $25 used Garmin units you can’t save tracks while driving, can you ? That’s the biggest feature needed here because of lakes/ponds/rivers……for coming back at night. I have a mapping Garmin i’ve used for about 12yrs now, and even used they are a ton of $$$.

Edited by CFM

7 minutes ago, akvanden said:

If I run a 5 inch gps, why not use a smart phone? The only reason I was thinking a GPS or tablet was for a bigger screen. 

32 minutes ago, CFM said:

Those $25 used Garmin units you can’t save tracks while driving, can you ? That’s the biggest feature needed here because of lakes/ponds/rivers……for coming back at night. I have a mapping Garmin i’ve used for about 22 yrs now, and even used they are a ton of $$$.

I don’t use it much because I’m usually always on trails, but they do have the breadcrumb feature.

43 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

If I run a 5 inch gps, why not use a smart phone? The only reason I was thinking a GPS or tablet was for a bigger screen. 

I tried going that route using a crappy old phone, but didn’t have the best mount for it. I really became a fan of ride command last winter with all the tracking of buddies you can do, so maybe I’ll try it again?

one thing ride command won’t do it turn by turn, garmin will.

edit: one other issue I had was the charger vibrating out on cell phone. 

Edited by akvanden

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 11:37 AM, CFM said:

Those $25 used Garmin units you can’t save tracks while driving, can you ? That’s the biggest feature needed here because of lakes/ponds/rivers……for coming back at night. I have a mapping Garmin i’ve used for about 12yrs now, and even used they are a ton of $$$.

my unit has breadcrumbs.  

• Like 1

And that unit is ?

Also, since breadcrumbs, dies that mean you can save tracks ?

I have a Garnin Maos 276c i bought new 12-13 yrs ago. Been great….does a ton if stuff. Was $500 back then. A comparable model now is a schitton. I would like to know what you can load tracks onto snd what you can make tracks while driving. No freezing, waterpriif, does not need to be in a bag…As always, doing what i need/want it to do matters more than cost, but sending more than needed is never desirable. Lol.

Edited by CFM

On 10/3/2021 at 6:22 PM, SkisNH said:

Hi Guy,

Has anyone run trailmaster GPS mapping on a galaxy tablet. Tell me the pros and cons.  If I have to buy a dedicated GPS I will but I own the tablet.  

Thanks,

SkisNH

i ran it on an older cheapo garmin nuvi without issue.   cold wasnt really an issue unless it was unplugged.    :dunno:   

IMG_3885 (1).JPG

Edited by old indy
  • Like 1

• Gold Member
23 hours ago, SkisNH said:

Did you have difficulty in the cold? Or was constant power enough.

Never used it in the cold. Although I always thought the battery seemed pretty strong on that.