Check your account email address ×

Galaxy tab A as GPS

On 10/5/2021 at 10:37 AM, CFM said:

Those $25 used Garmin units you can’t save tracks while driving, can you ? That’s the biggest feature needed here because of lakes/ponds/rivers……for coming back at night. I have a mapping Garmin i’ve used for about 12yrs now, and even used they are a ton of $$$.

Polaris app on your phone will track your ride . I think the best part of the poo app is the group ride . Deff nice to see where every one is and real nice if a gut is hooking uo with your crew mid day etc etc 

2 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

Polaris app on your phone will track your ride . I think the best part of the poo app is the group ride . Deff nice to see where every one is and real nice if a gut is hooking uo with your crew mid day etc etc 

Really got into the group ride thing last year, especially with guys now having it with the 7s. Going to find a way to swap the Garmin out for some sort of small tablet or large phone.

• 4 weeks later...

Bought this - pretty slick. Going to use my phone and run Ride Command. It's wireless charging so I'm hoping it keeps it warm enough while riding. Will keep the Garmin with as backup in case phone doesn't like cold or the Chinese made wireless stops working. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082SQFV98/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.png.8b1ef8bcf0ae8cec761586bd09716568.png

Edited by akvanden

On 10/27/2021 at 7:45 PM, Ez ryder said:

...but it rapes your battery.  Nice option, but you need a heated bag/fast charger for it to keep up.

18 minutes ago, akvanden said:

Bought this - pretty slick. Going to use my phone and run Ride Command. It's wireless charging so I'm hoping it keeps it warm enough while riding. Will keep the Garmin with as backup in case phone doesn't like cold or the Chinese made wireless stops working. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082SQFV98/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That won't work.  Going to kill your battery fast.  Wired is a must and even then keeping up wtih the screen on isn't always possible.  I have a full quad lock setup with charger but no way it will keep up so I use it on the 4 wheelers and boat, not the sled.  On the sled I use a Garmin since I didn't get the fancy Poo display...which I miss big time.  Zooming without moving your hands is huge.  

20 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

...but it rapes your battery.  Nice option, but you need a heated bag/fast charger for it to keep up.

That won't work.  Going to kill your battery fast.  Wired is a must and even then keeping up wtih the screen on isn't always possible.  I have a full quad lock setup with charger but no way it will keep up so I use it on the 4 wheelers and boat, not the sled.  On the sled I use a Garmin since I didn't get the fancy Poo display...which I miss big time.  Zooming without moving your hands is huge.  

You worried me, so I just went and tested it out with Ride Command running with screen on. Was at 54%, left for 10 minutes, came back and it was at 62%. 

1 minute ago, akvanden said:

You worried me, so I just went and tested it out with Ride Command running with screen on. Was at 54%, left for 10 minutes, came back and it was at 62%. 

Do it at -15F and you will have a HUGELY different experience.  Before fast chargers even plugged in chargers wouldn't keep up with the cold.  I had to resort to heating the battery with a hand warmer and finally said screw this and went the route of a Garmin.

4 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Do it at -15F and you will have a HUGELY different experience.  Before fast chargers even plugged in chargers wouldn't keep up with the cold.  I had to resort to heating the battery with a hand warmer and finally said screw this and went the route of a Garmin.

3 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

The other problem with the mestou is there is  NO WAY my phone would stay in it while riding.  If you want wireless, get a Quad Lock.

:sad:

Guess I'll keep the Garmin close by.

19 hours ago, akvanden said:

You should order some of the ram mount rubber holders . They go behind mount and go over corners as a back up . I have never had a phone fall out of holder when using the extra rubber holder on my sxs . And you know my old lady riding style lol. Remind me before next meeting I think I have a extra I can give u 

• Thanks 1