Check your account email address ×

Gun Shop Owner Dies During CCW Class

6 hours ago, f7ben said:

Its no different than a drivers license .....half the morons on the fucking road have no business operating a motor vehicle

how ironic you said that with your track record with motor vehicles.......just sayin'

28 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

how ironic you said that with your track record with motor vehicles.......just sayin'

I have never been involved in a motor vehicle accident that involved more than me and I've driven 100's of thousands of miles....now kindly fuck off faggot

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

We agree on this. Just stop by Cabelas and watch the idiots swing the muzzle around or watch a guy scope a crosshairs on a shopper across the store. Fuckin nit wits.

a 8 hour gun safety class should be federally mandated in this country. Toss in a common sense test too.

As long as there is a equally difficult, costly, and lengthy course to vote.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
26 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Biggest miss on the site so far

Voting is far the most deadly and costily admendment in the constitution.   Far more deadily then the second.

26 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

If dumb didnt vote the Republican party would have a decent candidate right now.....so maybe testing voters might be a good idea

who would that be?

Weren't you thinking Jeb was a great choice?

My wife was talking seriously about getting an handgun. Many family members carry. I have never felt the need, and just not bothered. She took a course, so I figured if she was serious about it, I should take one as well, get the permit, and some knowledge if there was going to be a gun in the house. Went to a course offered one evening by a local cop. Talked about different types of handguns, some about rifles, safety subjects and the like. Passed around some 'practice guns (orange tips), and passed out cetificates. I never held a loaded weapon, or shot one, but jeld a certificate that I could take  to get a permit. 

I don't think I got nearly enough knowledge to be able to go buy one and take it home, never took it any farther. My Brother-in-law and nephew were there with me, they got permits, bought guns, and I know my nephew carries. Neither has ever fired them. The whole thing makes me very uncomfortable, strikes me as an accident waiting to happen. They feel like they are safer with it on their hip, my guess is that it is just the opposite. 

11 minutes ago, Catalina said:

My wife was talking seriously about getting an handgun. Many family members carry. I have never felt the need, and just not bothered. She took a course, so I figured if she was serious about it, I should take one as well, get the permit, and some knowledge if there was going to be a gun in the house. Went to a course offered one evening by a local cop. Talked about different types of handguns, some about rifles, safety subjects and the like. Passed around some 'practice guns (orange tips), and passed out cetificates. I never held a loaded weapon, or shot one, but jeld a certificate that I could take  to get a permit. 

I don't think I got nearly enough knowledge to be able to go buy one and take it home, never took it any farther. My Brother-in-law and nephew were there with me, they got permits, bought guns, and I know my nephew carries. Neither has ever fired them. The whole thing makes me very uncomfortable, strikes me as an accident waiting to happen. They feel like they are safer with it on their hip, my guess is that it is just the opposite. 

What State do you live in?

We spent a whole day there.

Half the day was classroom, the other half range.

My wife has no plans to carry, but I thought the course would be worthwhile .

He went over a range of different  topics ............Home security, self defense, the legality and personal responsibility of using your weapon at home & in public.

Spent one on one  time with those who had no gun experience at the range.

24 minutes ago, Catalina said:

I'd check in to a local range for some instruction.  Even if they do not offer a type of structured program, the owner/operator will be more than happy to point out some folks there that would do just about anything to help you.  Seek ex-military personnel if possible.

You are correct in that it could very well be an accident waiting to happen.  Timidness or being under confident with a firearm can be just as dangerous as being overconfident. The only difference is competency. I'm not sure which one scares me more at times....I've seen "bunglers" from both sides.

I would get with a local range and get some practice and more training before I would purchase anything. Not in a particular rush, I have never felt that it is something I need to have, or really want to have in the house. Nothing against those who do, it's just my choice.

I live in MA, and know of places where I could get some training and experience if I choose to.

My point really is that I believe the training was inadequate in my case, and that others with the same level of training are getting permits, buying weapons, and carrying them. Not sure how that ia safer than not having anything when you look it on balance.

I am sure that some courses are excellent.  

1 minute ago, Catalina said:

I would get with a local range and get some practice and more training before I would purchase anything. Not in a particular rush, I have never felt that it is something I need to have, or really want to have in the house. Nothing against those who do, it's just my choice.

I live in MA, and know of places where I could get some training and experience if I choose to.

My point really is that I believe the training was inadequate in my case, and that others with the same level of training are getting permits, buying weapons, and carrying them. Not sure how that ia safer than not having anything when you look it on balance.

I am sure that some courses are excellent.  

I appreciate your desire to be more well trained.....but.....I think you are over thinking this a bit. After being shown how to safely operate a pistol and being instructed on the basics of how to safely handle it the rest is on you. Buy a gun that fits you well ....get some range time in. Talk to some guys at the range if that is your option for shooting and watch some vids and do some reading. Most of it is common sense and I assume you are not an idiot.

6 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I appreciate your desire to be more well trained.....but.....I think you are over thinking this a bit. After being shown how to safely operate a pistol and being instructed on the basics of how to safely handle it the rest is on you. Buy a gun that fits you well ....get some range time in. Talk to some guys at the range if that is your option for shooting and watch some vids and do some reading. Most of it is common sense and I assume you are not an idiot.

And I think there are certainly better pistols for "newbies" to be carrying.  Revolvers top my list.

I would surely get some training before I would carry on a regular basis, and agree that the course is not intended to include everything that you need to know. But, there are people who simply do the basic course, get a permit, go buy a weapon, ammo and holster - clip it on, and they are good to go. 

I think that is a bit scary, leaves too much chance for a mistake. 

When I took the course, It did seem to me that a revolver would be my first choice. Old school I know, but I think it's easier to know when it is or is not loaded. I seem to read about too many accidents where someone didn't know there was a bullet in the chamber with disastrous results. 

As I said, for me, I don't have a strong desire to own one, and don't have any plans to move ahead anytime soon. Don't have a problem with anyone who does, as long as they know what they are doing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Catalina said:

I would surely get some training before I would carry on a regular basis, and agree that the course is not intended to include everything that you need to know. But, there are people who simply do the basic course, get a permit, go buy a weapon, ammo and holster - clip it on, and they are good to go. 

I think that is a bit scary, leaves too much chance for a mistake. 

When I took the course, It did seem to me that a revolver would be my first choice. Old school I know, but I think it's easier to know when it is or is not loaded. I seem to read about too many accidents where someone didn't know there was a bullet in the chamber with disastrous results. 

As I said, for me, I don't have a strong desire to own one, and don't have any plans to move ahead anytime soon. Don't have a problem with anyone who does, as long as they know what they are doing. 

If I were to carry (legally), I'd have a revolver.  It's like a shotgun used for home protection..."get out of jail free card".  Or at least a lot less hassle in doing so.  A single action revolver is safe, easy to maintain, and delivers all the fire power anyone will need in a public situation.  If you need more than 5 or 6 rounds...it's time to run.  If you ever kill someone with it, like a shotgun during a home invasion, it is considered a "sensible" and "honest" use of force.  I kill some one with a modified HK USP or any other "scary, complicated black weapon" well, it sure looks like I couldn't wait for someone to step over the line..and "the line" will be in question.

Nothing is more comical (and nerve racking) to see some fat fuck with his muti-magazine holster and Glock in the food mart.  I start looking around to make sure I accidentally didn't wonder into Chicago.  :lmao:

I wouldnt advocate for someone to regularly carry until they have fired a requisite amount of rounds at a range or somewhere with some instruction. 1000rds or so should be adequate.

22 hours ago, f7ben said:

Its no different than a drivers license .....half the morons on the fucking road have no business operating a motor vehicle

Specially clowns who manage to destroy cars in single car accidents :guzzle: 

19 minutes ago, Momorider said:

Specially clowns who manage to destroy cars in single car accidents :guzzle: 

shut up stupid .....I bet you've never been able to pass a drivers exam.....far too dumb