Check your account email address ×

TO Boat Show - anyone going?!?

odot1

I avoid the weekends at all cost. Way too crowded for my liking. I'm going with my brother and nephew on the 27th and will be there when the doors open. Fridays are bad enough. I would have preferred mid week but my nephew has to work Mon to Thu that week.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 02sled said:

I avoid the weekends at all cost. Way too crowded for my liking. I'm going with my brother and nephew on the 27th and will be there when the doors open. Fridays are bad enough. I would have preferred mid week but my nephew has to work Mon to Thu that week.

Yeah...would like to avoid the weekend as well...but sadly the only time I can fit it in.. 

5 hours ago, smokin george said:

We are thinking of going on Sat but all pending on whether we trailer farther north to go riding. I'd like to check out the new boats not that I'm going to buy one but rather kill a few hours then go for dinner in the city

Yeah...def not buying a new boat there...but whets the appetite and helps us zone in on what we really want/need this coming season.

The TO boat show is now basically $130k wakeboard boats, fishing boats, sailboats, and runabouts.  And the mini-yachts have lineups just to look inside them. 

Show was a lot better during the performance boat heyday....... There might be one performance boat there this year. 
Looking forward to Miami!

I won't be going then. A go fast boat is my next purchase, just trying to decide if I should go with twins or a single. Looking at a 30' in a twin or 26 or 27 if I go with a single.

My BIL had a 26' Baja with the 600 in it. That would be my preferred choice but they are almost impossible to find.

Uh-oh, here come the comments from Stoney and UTS about below-average Bajas, how they're not performance boats...... :)

Go single in that size range.  Even a 30' with twins is MURDER to work on.  Lol.  Remove engine number one's exhaust and manifold to remove engine number two's starter......

I love twins, but maintenance is a bitch, and everything will be literally...... double.  Gas not quite, but close. 

Blue motors (Merc HPs) are nice, and powerful, but have some drawbacks.  Longevity will be reduced, parts are more spendy, burn 91 octane, etc., etc. 

But in all seriousness, if you want a single and speed, get Magnums or blue power.  Mine is a 454 Mag, but should have been a 502 Mag. Runs about 62 on GPS.  Pump 87 octane, which is nicer when you're pumping 350 litres. 

502 is just as reliable, and a 5 mph gain in my boat. 

Blue motors were available, and pushed the boat over 70, but more dough.... hydraulic steering is really a necessity, etc.  And don't forget, if you're getting into the 600 range, Bravos won't cut it.  But with 400-450 hp, they're tough and will last, especially if you're good with it. 

My theory with twins, has always been if I want to get into them, might as well get a 38+....... 

Edited by Puzzleboy

A lot of people tell me not to get a Baja but the thing is I like the look of the Outlaw the most. I don't like the way Fountains sit in the water and the Donzi's ZX or ZR I don't like the back ends.

Cigerette's are nice but are hard to find and usually out of my price range.

Cigs are big and heavy, but are good hulls.  Fountains are shorter than they're numbered because of the 2' beak.  Donzis are nice, spendiest of the bunch.  But a few of them have weird lines. 

On my second Baja, very happy with them.  Have had no hull issues.  One cockpit floor started to get soft (easily repaired), and replaced the wood attachments under the sunpad..... that's it.  Otherwise, just power pkg maintenance stuff (solenoids, bellows, gimbal, routine maintenance). 

People avoid Bayliners like the plague.... and yet everyone I know who has one, has had zero hull issues.  Come for a ride in the Spring; see what you think. 

21 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Sounds like you got SPS. Real men don,t need speedboats.

21 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

The TO boat show is now basically $130k wakeboard boats, fishing boats, sailboats, and runabouts.  And the mini-yachts have lineups just to look inside them. 

Show was a lot better during the performance boat heyday....... There might be one performance boat there this year. 
Looking forward to Miami!

18 hours ago, Fozzy said:

I won't be going then. A go fast boat is my next purchase, just trying to decide if I should go with twins or a single. Looking at a 30' in a twin or 26 or 27 if I go with a single.

My BIL had a 26' Baja with the 600 in it. That would be my preferred choice but they are almost impossible to find.

Heck go with triples. There are a couple of brothers on our lake. About a 30 ft centre console with triple 300's on the back. They each have one.

A couple of friends have Hydrostreams and love them for go fast. Tuff boats are usually at the boat show with their 100 mph boat.

Edited by 02sled

54 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Heck go with triples. There are a couple of brothers on our lake. About a 30 ft centre console with triple 300's on the back. They each have one.

A couple of friends have Hydrostreams and love them for go fast. Tuff boats are usually at the boat show with their 100 mph boat.

The center consoles seem to be the trend right now but not what I want. The 26' Baja Outlaw with the 600 is what I am after. I know there is one in Ottawa and keeping an eye out for it so I can make him an offer.

Think I know who you're talking about; they are neighbors? Cool boats but a bit extreme for those waters. Once below lock 45 they'd be in their element.

Tuff builds a nice ride. $$$ but well built, perfect for blasting Muskoka lakes.

I have a hydrostream too.

2 hours ago, 02sled said: