Where in the freak are all the sleds?!

What the hell?  I’ve been doing normal perusing for months but, it’s clear the used market is bone ass dry and the ones that are there are fetching a nice and hilarious penny.  It’s crazy!  I blame easy finance terms for $16k sleds for the most part but, it’s clear Covid really jerked up supply.  There is no end to this gift of fear we’ve all been given!  Hooray!

4 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Hardly anything or any deals out there even for summer time when I usually buy my sleds. Usually you can get a great deal during summer not many out there this summer.

It appears the ones selling right now have somehow tucked gold bars under the seats.  I just LOL.  But then again, what if they are getting what they are asking?  I mean, 2017 with 3000 on the Speedo for $10k?  I’m gonna go flush $5k down the toilet then go wrench on my lawnmower for a few days and call that even.

• Gold Member
8 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

It appears the ones selling right now have somehow tucked gold bars under the seats.  I just LOL.  But then again, what if they are getting what they are asking?  I mean, 2017 with 3000 on the Speedo for $10k?  I’m gonna go flush $5k down the toilet then go wrench on my lawnmower for a few days and call that even.

It’s crazy, I gotta imagine people aren’t paying these asking prices. Who knows though lot of “free” money out there right now and new sled prices are insane so 10k maybe don’t look so bad idk.

Been watching for that summer deal that is not showing this year as well.  Found a PAIR of sleds for a decent price if that's what I was looking for.

Perhaps those waiting for a new one just aren't willing to part with the old until they have the new in hand.  I know that's what I would be doing.

• Like 1

Seems like every day I hear of someone getting more than asking price for a house and people are inexplicably paying it.  I know a snowmobile dealer locally that sold out to a multi-location outfit because he says there are tough times on the horizon for dealers.  Lack of both new and trade ins will make it tough to stay in business.

and, now an analogy:  when landing an airplane, there are often little burbles near the ground that will push the airplane left or right, let it sink or give it a little extra lift at the worst possible time.  The wrong thing to do is fight it directly.  Obviously, the airplane needs to stay lined up with the runway.  But, what’s not obvious is that whatever caused the airplane to get kiddywampus will probably disappear just as fast as it appeared.  If you wait an extra second before trying to make a correction, you can avoid overcorrecting or pilot-induced oscillation and the airplane will straighten itself out a majority of the time.

Moral:  When things get squirrelly, just wait, don’t react right away and fight against it.  Wait.  Things will often correct themselves without too much intervention.  If the sled market is too weird, hold off doing anything drastic for a season.

My wife’s sled is a 2002, but we can’t afford pissing money away on a toy this year, much less an overpriced one.  She’s already thinking about 2022-23 season for a replacement, and so am I.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, p51mstg said:

Seems like every day I hear of someone getting more than asking price for a house and people are inexplicably paying it.  I know a snowmobile dealer locally that sold out to a multi-location outfit because he says there are tough times on the horizon for dealers.  Lack of both new and trade ins will make it tough to stay in business.

and, now an analogy:  when landing an airplane, there are often little burbles near the ground that will push the airplane left or right, let it sink or give it a little extra lift at the worst possible time.  The wrong thing to do is fight it directly.  Obviously, the airplane needs to stay lined up with the runway.  But, what’s not obvious is that whatever caused the airplane to get kiddywampus will probably disappear just as fast as it appeared.  If you wait an extra second before trying to make a correction, you can avoid overcorrecting or pilot-induced oscillation and the airplane will straighten itself out a majority of the time.

Moral:  When things get squirrelly, just wait, don’t react right away and fight against it.  Wait.  Things will often correct themselves without too much intervention.  If the sled market is too weird, hold off doing anything drastic for a season.

My wife’s sled is a 2002, but we can’t afford pissing money away on a toy this year, much less an overpriced one.  She’s already thinking about 2022-23 season for a replacement, and so am I.

Nice post.  :bc:

Also, “kiddywampus” had me lose a bit of coffee.   :lmao:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I use kiddywampus all the time. Usually draw the A waaaaaaaay out as well, for extra effect. 

I don’t know about this used sled market bs. I bought my 21 for what I thought was a pretty fair deal, albeit at Easter time, but I couldn’t get one bite on my 2006. I get it that it’s used but hell I saw ragged out Edge and Firecat chassis going for more last winter. Which reminds me, I should probably list it on fakebook marketplace again. It’s almost August. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I use kiddywampus all the time. Usually draw the A waaaaaaaay out as well, for extra effect. 

I don’t know about this used sled market bs. I bought my 21 for what I thought was a pretty fair deal, albeit at Easter time, but I couldn’t get one bite on my 2006. I get it that it’s used but hell I saw ragged out Edge and Firecat chassis going for more last winter. Which reminds me, I should probably list it on fakebook marketplace again. It’s almost August. 

If ones in the position to sell and wait things out until everything normalizes,then now is the prime time to sell.  I sold my 800 indy last winter for what I paid for it new in 2015.   I Picked up a 650 vr1 in spring  with 120 miles on it for 10k.   Should easily sell that for more and use the money towards the new 650 assault I sno checked.

Edited by Boonbocker1

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 7/21/2021 at 6:56 AM, Zambroski said:

What the hell?  I’ve been doing normal perusing for months but, it’s clear the used market is bone ass dry and the ones that are there are fetching a nice and hilarious penny.  It’s crazy!  I blame easy finance terms for $16k sleds for the most part but, it’s clear Covid really jerked up supply.  There is no end to this gift of fear we’ve all been given!  Hooray!

Road trip Z??

Screenshot_20210723-110423.png

Screenshot_20210723-110406.png

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Damn…that’s not bad right there.

If you want me to go look at it holler at me, it's about an hour away from my house..Good amount of sled for sale in NY too!!

Just now, Rigid1 said:

If you want me to go look at it holler at me, it's about an hour away from my house..Good amount of sled for sale in NY too!!

If you’ll make up that dish of famous lasagna….I’ll start heading that way! I’ll bring some nice wine if you can ditch the kids.

842E77D9-0396-46F3-B6B4-4CC41993F5B7.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

If you’ll make up that dish of famous lasagna….I’ll start heading that way! I’ll bring some nice wine if you can ditch the kids.

842E77D9-0396-46F3-B6B4-4CC41993F5B7.gif

Little warm out for lasagna and wine, how about steak tacos and margaritas!!

On 7/21/2021 at 8:21 AM, Zambroski said:

It's "kaddywampus' out here in Oregon....at least in my family, as it's about the only place I have heard it.  Funny to hear it, regardless of spelling as it's apparently an older saying cause you I don't hear many people using it

12 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

There was one in the Rochester area with 4-5k on in for $7500 or so.

I’m about to get busy with a remodel new construction so, I’m gonna go with a low mileage sled this year.  Doubt I’ll even have time to convert a SX which is what I’d prefer to do but, the XC will most likely suffice better than any other.  Just some clutching and gearing and should be good to giv’r.  

On 7/27/2021 at 9:54 AM, Zambroski said:

I’m about to get busy with a remodel new construction so, I’m gonna go with a low mileage sled this year.  Doubt I’ll even have time to convert a SX which is what I’d prefer to do but, the XC will most likely suffice better than any other.  Just some clutching and gearing and should be good to giv’r.  

image.thumb.png.1606ca3b53d5dcbfdb04453c7b82d648.png

• Like 1