Check your account email address ×

Low flying military aircraft over eastern Iowa last night.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Everyone in the factory is talking about it.   It was crazy last night.  Never heard anything like it outside an airshow.   I could only see the taillights of a single plane but I suspect there were more.   My brothers house is a good 10 miles away from mine and he said it rattled his window's.   If the time was the same as the plane I seen it couldn't have been the same as it was not heading anywhere near his place until it was out of sight.  

https://www.kcrg.com/2021/04/23/loud-low-flying-jet-spotted-flying-over-eastern-iowa-thursday-night/?fbclid=IwAR0p4AWpvsAAtd7rUVDBWLljITOjSJdeMgKayAyoPBzE00egMoHuWcAbdp0

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Everyone in the factory is talking about it.   It was crazy last night.  Never heard anything like it outside an airshow.   I could only see the taillights of a single plane but I suspect there were more.   My brothers house is a good 10 miles away from mine and he said it rattled his window's.   If the time was the same as the plane I seen it couldn't have been the same as it was not heading anywhere near his place until it was out of sight.  

https://www.kcrg.com/2021/04/23/loud-low-flying-jet-spotted-flying-over-eastern-iowa-thursday-night/?fbclid=IwAR0p4AWpvsAAtd7rUVDBWLljITOjSJdeMgKayAyoPBzE00egMoHuWcAbdp0

https://www.hardcoresledder.com/threads/look-up.1856366/post-20264974

7 minutes ago, Plissken said:

:lmao:

4 - Stop the earth from spinning while you're doing it. Winds at FL300+ get pretty strong and that's because the earth is rotating. Bonus proof: Why do you think winter nights are so frickin long?

Flyboys get funny every now and then and go below legal hard deck to blast the civilians.  Fuckers.  I lived close enough to the ANG in Duluth and every so often one or two of those cocksucker would hit their afterburners below 200 feet and literally shake the ground.  They think it's just funny as hell.  I bet it scares the fuck out of people that don't know what it is.  It sounds and feels like the earth is collapsing in on you.

• Haha 1

• Gold Member
7 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I had a B52, B2, and B1 fly over my house in a triad formation a few years ago. Don’t see that everyday. 

My grandmother lived in the approach to westover mass when it was a SAC base, shit would fall off shelves when B52s came in. Loud as fuck too

31 minutes ago, Highmark said:

:lmao:

4 - Stop the earth from spinning while you're doing it. Winds at FL300+ get pretty strong and that's because the earth is rotating. Bonus proof: Why do you think winter nights are so frickin long?

Pretty sure that guy is a member here. :news:

10 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

My grandmother lived in the approach to westover mass when it was a SAC base, shit would fall off shelves when B52s came in. Loud as fuck too

This occurred a couple years back during EAA. Coolest thing in the air I ever seen. The B52 is better than 60 years old. That’s probably 4 generations of pilots. 

• Gold Member
Just now, ActionfigureJoe said:

This occurred a couple years back during EAA. Coolest thing in the air I ever seen. The B52 is better than 60 years old. That’s probably 4 generations of pilots. 

Seen a couple of things similar at air shows, legacy flights they called them. Have to dig up the pictures when I get home. 

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Flyboys get funny every now and then and go below legal hard deck to blast the civilians.  Fuckers.  I lived close enough to the ANG in Duluth and every so often one or two of those cocksucker would hit their afterburners below 200 feet and literally shake the ground.  They think it's just funny as hell.  I bet it scares the fuck out of people that don't know what it is.  It sounds and feels like the earth is collapsing in on you.

Yeah, every so often those same jets come few 100's feet above the deck over the National Forest here, I love seeing it.

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Best beat down ever. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm on the Mississippi River, in bluff country (SE Minnesota) and they make runs down the river throughout the summer months here.  It's cool to see them so low, and even more cool when you're up on top of the bluffs and it feels like you're damn near eye level with them.  Everything from F15's to C130's .... supposedly it's training to stay under radar?  Regardless, it's always neat to see.

36 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Best beat down ever. 

A classic!

31 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I'm on the Mississippi River, in bluff country (SE Minnesota) and they make runs down the river throughout the summer months here.  It's cool to see them so low, and even more cool when you're up on top of the bluffs and it feels like you're damn near eye level with them.  Everything from F15's to C130's .... supposedly it's training to stay under radar?  Regardless, it's always neat to see.

Yes.  But not of much use anymore with new tech.

3 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

How does something flat rotate?

Well I suppose one could argue lots of things flat (disk shaped) rotate.  CD's and records just to name a few.   And don't turn this into I'm a flat earther.  :lol:  

How scientists think the Earth was formed.

Every day, the Earth spins once around its axis, making sunrises and sunsets a daily feature of life on the planet. It has done so since it formed 4.6 billion years ago, and it will continue to do so until the world ends — likely when the sun swells into a red giant star and swallows the planet. But why does it rotate at all?

The Earth formed out of a disk of gas and dust that swirled around the newborn sun. In this spinning disk, bits of dust and rock stuck together to form the Earth, according to Space.com, a sister site of Live Science. As it grew, space rocks continued colliding with the nascent planet, exerting forces that sent it spinning, explained Smadar Naoz, an astrophysicist at the University of California, Los Angeles. Because all the debris in the early solar system was rotating around the sun in roughly the same direction, the collisions also spun the Earth — and most everything else in the solar system — in that direction. [Photo Timeline How the Earth Formed]

Just odd around here.   I guess it was F16's out of Madison doing night landing maneuvers.   Interesting they come this far out to practice landing.  

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Well I suppose one could argue lots of things flat (disk shaped) rotate.  CD's and records just to name a few.   And don't turn this into I'm a flat earther.  :lol:  

How scientists think the Earth was formed.

Every day, the Earth spins once around its axis, making sunrises and sunsets a daily feature of life on the planet. It has done so since it formed 4.6 billion years ago, and it will continue to do so until the world ends — likely when the sun swells into a red giant star and swallows the planet. But why does it rotate at all?

The Earth formed out of a disk of gas and dust that swirled around the newborn sun. In this spinning disk, bits of dust and rock stuck together to form the Earth, according to Space.com, a sister site of Live Science. As it grew, space rocks continued colliding with the nascent planet, exerting forces that sent it spinning, explained Smadar Naoz, an astrophysicist at the University of California, Los Angeles. Because all the debris in the early solar system was rotating around the sun in roughly the same direction, the collisions also spun the Earth — and most everything else in the solar system — in that direction. [Photo Timeline How the Earth Formed]

Venus spins opposite of the others.

Huge up tic in the flight activity lately so one of our town folk decided they need to start a petition to change the flight path on facebook. Oh man did that get slammed so hard they removed the post. I told them with the local housing market their home would sell fast and the liberal college town would be a good place to move, and my post was one of the nicer responses. 
Yep uncle sam is gearing up, must be time for a new war.

2 hours ago, Highmark said:

Just odd around here.   I guess it was F16's out of Madison doing night landing maneuvers.   Interesting they come this far out to practice landing.  

I recall reading some of the training flights in NH was a group of Air National Guard from NJ.

5 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I had a B52, B2, and B1 fly over my house in a triad formation a few years ago. Don’t see that everyday. 

They used to do low altitude B-58 flights over the farm here.  My dad and uncle still talk about it sometimes.  They have a bunch of pictures of it somewhere.  One of them the plane couldn't have been more then 100 feet off the ground.

36 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

They used to do low altitude B-58 flights over the farm here.  My dad and uncle still talk about it sometimes.  They have a bunch of pictures of it somewhere.  One of them the plane couldn't have been more then 100 feet off the ground.

They did B58 Hustlers over where I lived as a kid, when the planes visible vapor trail was almost gone in the Horizon the Sonic Boom would happen, scared the crap out of some folks.