Check your account email address ×

Yamaha Sidewinder

Yamadoo

Poncho is completely correct.  And agreed, it all depends on the day and relative conditions.  Another day it might run 99..... it's all relative. 

Well, I was off by 5 mph.   Tim doesn't seem to realize that sleds were running those speeds years ago with no turbos.

His excessive artificial displacement masturbation sessions are clearly affecting his vision, and memory.  Just like they said it would.  Because he cares so deeply about being "King O' The Lake", I fear for what may happen should he lose a drag race on Kevlar lake to any sled, under any circumstance.  Something will get thrown/broken, sled will be sold on Kijiji the next day, old lady smacked around, etc.....

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 hours ago, Poncho said:

2005 Mach Z 123 mph on ice, buddies 2006 Mach Z 122 mph, same day side by side....that's important because the speeds change by day and time......if we both were on snow those speeds would be 20 less....... I don't care about the speed....that video  that Tim posted would have real value if that Sidewinder was stock and ran against a stock 850 Perry or a XCR 800.  I can clutch my XCR800 to run with a stock SW, but it would defeat the purpose of having an XCR.....

anyway who the fuck cares.....just show me factory races, no modded shit. 

Did that lake run down hill?    LOL

I did see an '05 Mach Z run 121 on ice 12 years ago. The owner said it was stock, wink wink, and was still in break in mode.

My stock '01Tcat ran 118 on ice and that was plenty for me. I seen the kind of money guys had in their Tcats to make them go 125+.

I saw a Mach Z go 125 on the radar gun, right out of the box as well. LOL

To bad the were plug eaters and crank destroyers.

My 3 buddies that owned them way back, used to carry a dozen new plugs each, to make it thru the week-end.

We also had to tow those heavy pigs thru bumpy trails, way to often, for other issues.

Good old doo quality junk.

21 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I did see an '05 Mach Z run 121 on ice 12 years ago. The owner said it was stock, wink wink, and was still in break in mode.

My stock '01Tcat ran 118 on ice and that was plenty for me. I seen the kind of money guys had in their Tcats to make them go 125+.

Actually downwind a bit which makes a world of difference and it was cold.....I had a stock 1995 Storm run 119 on the gun, same day I ran my dads 93 Indy 500 EFI through the same run right after and it ran 93 mph.

So the machz I guess would be just as comfortable as a new sidewinder for trail/ day to day riding?

Only comparing one thing among these sleds, top speed on a lake, seems a bit narrow minded. The majority of sleds today could rip down the lake at a nice clip than pound the trails all day....vs that machz pounding you on the trails. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

I saw a Mach Z go 125 on the radar gun, right out of the box as well. LOL

To bad the were plug eaters and crank destroyers.

My 3 buddies that owned them way back, used to carry a dozen new plugs each, to make it thru the week-end.

We also had to tow those heavy pigs thru bumpy trails, way to often, for other issues.

Good old doo quality junk.

Steve's???  He had some cheater parts as I recall.  I didn't have any issues mechanically with mine, but others did.  Mostly cranks, fuel pumps and E Rave timing.  I sold my Mach in 2007 with 4600 miles to friend.....last year on Simcoe he blew out the crank, it had 8700 miles.....

6 minutes ago, Stoney said:

So the machz I guess would be just as comfortable as a new sidewinder for trail/ day to day riding?

Only comparing one thing among these sleds, top speed on a lake, seems a bit narrow minded. The majority of sleds today could rip down the lake at a nice clip than pound the trails all day....vs that machz pounding you on the trails. 

The Arctic cat chassis with the yamaha turbo... In which ever color combo you like....... Is a top end monster. I doubtful it can really shine in the trails. A lighter less hp sled with the same chassis will handle far better.

It's is and always will be a very small market for the " King of the Lake " crown.  Someone will just out $$$$ you a your in second place. 

I'm not sure who Arctic cat is really trying to compete with.

36 minutes ago, Stoney said:

You are right Stoney, had to move my 2000 XCR800 around the other day.

Did a quick ride down the road, got back and could not imagine trail riding it compared to today's iron.

And I did at the time but age and a bad back/knees would have me giving up the sport if i had to ride it today.

Now a blast down the lake makes me remember why I still have it around.

Edited by psledhead

11 minutes ago, bladefever said:

The Arctic cat chassis with the yamaha turbo... In which ever color combo you like....... Is a top end monster. I doubtful it can really shine in the trails. A lighter less hp sled with the same chassis will handle far better.

It's is and always will be a very small market for the " King of the Lake " crown.  Someone will just out $$$$ you a your in second place. 

I'm quite happy with my new Thundercat, no desire to turn up the wick in the twisties anymore.

To many close calls with Ricky Racer riding in Parry Sound & Muskoka over the last ten years will do that.

Now it is certainly fun blasting down the lakes when the opportunity presents itself.....

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bladefever said:

Yes it is, but many are happy with its trail manners, as well many other 4 strokes on the market, sure there are better lighter trail choices, but it gives you nice options both on trail and on the lake.

I don't think there is no real competitor for it, just an option for those interested, which to me appear to be quite a few.

1 hour ago, Poncho said:

Steve's???  He had some cheater parts as I recall.  I didn't have any issues mechanically with mine, but others did.  Mostly cranks, fuel pumps and E Rave timing.  I sold my Mach in 2007 with 4600 miles to friend.....last year on Simcoe he blew out the crank, it had 8700 miles.....

Both Steve and Charlie had them for a couple of years.

I forgot about the fuel pump issues, until you mentioned it. LOL

The sled I mentioned belonged to another local guy. I talked to the owner of that sled, and it wasn,t " just out of the box ", like everyone thought. Everyone cheats, some more than others. LOL

It was brand new, but had been modded before it left the dealers shop. Still, it was impressive to see it run that speed, that day, as a brand new sled. Opened a lot of eyes, and got the rumors buzzing. 

12 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

My 06 f7 with chain never lost to a mach z 1k.  Not that they aren't fast but I personally didn't lose a race to one.  

I wasn't even going to mention my F7...

Radar runs on Simcoe were fun back than....The little 700 spanking so many others....The over achiever :bc:

5 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

My 06 f7 with chain never lost to a mach z 1k.  Not that they aren't fast but I personally didn't lose a race to one.  

I had 06 F7, 05 MachZ and a 06 MXZ 800, all at the same time, all were new sleds.  In order of top speed the MachZ was always a bit faster on top  end.  My F7 was faster on top end than my buddies 03 F7 which was supposed to be the fastest F7 built.  If you were never losing to a MachZ and your was a stock F7 the MachZ you were running wasn't working correctly.  My MachZ was an 05 and my buddies Mach was an 06.  His 06 never ran correctly after about 500 miles or so.  There were a number of MachZ that didn't and were slower for sure.  The biggest, issue with the 1000 was the E Rave timing, when trying to get top rpm.  That motor lked to see 7800 - 8000RPM, when it did there no stock sleds available in 05 - 07 that could run with it at top end.

Butthurt noted. 

Tim still can't believe stock Doos were running 125 12 years ago.... Blackstar placed on suicide watch. 

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Edited by Puzzleboy

The Mach is likely more comfortable.  We're talking the 2005-2007 Machs, which were essentially a Rev chassis.  A lot of guys feel the Rev was more comfortable than the XP.  And they handled great. 

A new Sidewinder won't even turn without changing the skis..... what does that tell you?  A sidewinder might "pound the trails", but will pound you as well.  Shit chassis, heavy, good motor, shit build.  That's a SW.  I can't see Yamaha putting up with this for long. 

3 hours ago, Stoney said:

I spanked an F7 routinely with my ZX 800.  Owner said it was due to it's "paddle track".... which was only 1.5".  :) It was stock, but so was my ZX. 

Radar runs on Simcoe were fun back than....The little 700 spanking so many others....The over achiever :bc:

Edited by Puzzleboy

2 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

The Mach is likely more comfortable.  We're talking the 2005-2007 Machs, which were essentially a Rev chassis.  A lot of guys feel the Rev was more comfortable than the XP.  And they handled great. 

A new Sidewinder won't even turn without changing the skis..... what does that tell you?  A sidewinder might "pound the trails", but will pound you as well.  Shit chassis, heavy, good motor, shit build.  That's a SW.  I can't see Yamaha putting up with this for long. 

Perhaps, but this is coming from team Yellow....I am sure some might say otherwise, but goes both ways.

My bad too, when I think of the machz, I am thinking of older chassis, not the one that was in the Rev platform....

Just like the issues with the Doo, I am sure the issues with the SW handling are stretched just a tad.....I wonder how the T-Cats with the Cat skis handle compared to the SW, not that the Cat skis are all that great.

4 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

I spanked an F7 routinely with my ZX 800.  Owner said it was due to it's "paddle track".... which was only 1.5".  :) It was stock, but so was my ZX. 

The 8 should have....100 more cc's, but far too often, the 8's did not!

The 1.5" track really did slow it down a lot on the top.....even Poncho changed his SP from the 1.5" to 1"....

Well, team green, team blue, and other team blue ALL copied the REV, so what does that tell you?   Haven't met any that would say otherwise. 

SW's and Thundercats handle ok, once BRP parts are installed.  :)

Just now, Stoney said:

Perhaps, but this is coming from team Yellow....I am sure some might say otherwise, but goes both ways.

My bad too, when I think of the machz, I am thinking of older chassis, not the one that was in the Rev platform....

Just like the issues with the Doo, I am sure the issues with the SW handling are stretched just a tad.....I wonder how the T-Cats with the Cat skis handle compared to the SW, not that the Cat skis are all that great.

I agree, lugs will definitely slow a sled down.  But we were talking 1.5", not a 3" mountain track.  1.25" or bigger is the new norm....

Just now, Stoney said:

The 8 should have....100 more cc's, but far too often, the 8's did not!

The 1.5" track really did slow it down a lot on the top.....even Poncho changed his SP from the 1.5" to 1"....

11 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

I agree, lugs will definitely slow a sled down.  But we were talking 1.5", not a 3" mountain track.  1.25" or bigger is the new norm....

yes, bigger lugs and longer tracks has become the new norm.....personally I have gone from 1" to 1.25" to 1.5" to 1.75", and seen top end drop each time, but do not care anymore, as 80 to 90 mph is just fine for me these days, but as many will agree, the rate at which the newer sleds get to those speeds has improved so much. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Well, team green, team blue, and other team blue ALL copied the REV, so what does that tell you?   Haven't met any that would say otherwise. 

SW's and Thundercats handle ok, once BRP parts are installed.  :)

That BRP had the better spy's and were faster to get their product on the snow first.... :)

BRP just has a product that is priced right (skis)....perhaps the only thing that is....

Edited by Stoney

50 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

It was a SnoPro, you better of "spanked" him top end. 

The F7 1"er was a fast little sled for real.