Check your account email address ×

Yamaha Sidewinder

Yamadoo

50 minutes ago, Stoney said:

The 8 should have....100 more cc's, but far too often, the 8's did not!

The 1.5" track really did slow it down a lot on the top.....even Poncho changed his SP from the 1.5" to 1"....

Yep....good memory.  That 1" made that sled really work well.  I never saw the need for the big paddle track on that sled.

1 hour ago, Puzzleboy said:

The Mach is likely more comfortable.  We're talking the 2005-2007 Machs, which were essentially a Rev chassis.  A lot of guys feel the Rev was more comfortable than the XP.  And they handled great. 

A new Sidewinder won't even turn without changing the skis..... what does that tell you?  A sidewinder might "pound the trails", but will pound you as well.  Shit chassis, heavy, good motor, shit build.  That's a SW.  I can't see Yamaha putting up with this for long. 

My MachZ was a good ride, my wife loved it as well, it was so stable, heavier than the 06 MXZ, but it didn't have twitchy front end feel.  I would have keep it but having three new sleds and two drivers it didn't make much sense.  The only knock was the shitty front shock spring combo on the 05, in 06 they fixed it with a better shock spring combo.   

• Platinum Contributing Member
32 minutes ago, Poncho said:

My MachZ was a good ride, my wife loved it as well, it was so stable, heavier than the 06 MXZ, but it didn't have twitchy front end feel.  I would have keep it but having three new sleds and two drivers it didn't make much sense.  The only knock was the shitty front shock spring combo on the 05, in 06 they fixed it with a better shock spring combo.   

At the time I was deciding between the new '05 MachZ and the new 900 Fusion. I made a bad decision....lol

One day we had the radar out and I was making passes to see what the 900 would do, 95, 96, 97....that was it. My kid ran down the track with his 03 F5 before I could stop him and the guy holding gun started laughing. He said your kid just ran 102.....lol

Yes, Puzzler, the '03 Rev was revolutionary. No denying that.

I bought an '05 anniversary Fusion in '06 from a dealer liquidation.

Did the clutching and set it up for the 080 belt and it was fine.

It would run down the lake right beside my buddy's '06 Apex Gt all day.

Should have seen the look on his face the first time...priceless.

I put over 6000 miles on it and the guy I sold it to is still running it.

Must have got a good one I guess. :dunno:

Edited by psledhead

2 minutes ago, psledhead said:

LOL....from all accounts that I know, you were definitely one of the lucky ones!

19 minutes ago, psledhead said:

There were a few guys who seemed to have gotten good ones. Mine never ate belts but the vibrations were terrible. My hands were constantly numb. pieces fell off it, tail lights didn't work, and the constant recalls (OMG). I believe it made 12 or 13 trips to one dealer or another in the 2 years I owned it and once it got towed out of the bush when the main wiring harness came apart.

I paid $11300 for it in Nov of '04 and got $5200 on trade in the fall of '06 when I bought an '07 600 Switchback for 10700. I was so happy to be rid of that pos. When I dropped it off, the primary was covered in oil. The dealer threw it in an auction cause he didn't want anyone coming back on him for it and I believe he got $4000 for it.

Yep.  Who invented the rider-forward chassis again?  :)  I can't believe it's design was not patentable.......  A ski is, but a whole new chassis design was not?  

Polaris soon after had the stubby seat; that was their first "rider forward" design.  I'd say the Fusion department was in charge of the stubby seat's aesthetics.....

3 hours ago, Stoney said:

That BRP had the better spy's and were faster to get their product on the snow first.... :)

BRP just has a product that is priced right (skis)....perhaps the only thing that is....

Stubs.jpg

3 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Yep.  Who invented the rider-forward chassis again?  :)  I can't believe it's design was not patentable.......  A ski is, but a whole new chassis design was not?  

Polaris soon after had the stubby seat; that was their first "rider forward" design.  I'd say the Fusion department was in charge of the stubby seat's aesthetics.....

Stubs.jpg

ball sack special.  took some solid engineering to build that.....

1 hour ago, Puzzleboy said:

Too bad there's no fix for the aesthetics of a Fusion..... WTF were they thinking? 

Polaris was so far behind they just threw a hood that fit over it and tossed it on the market. The RMK/Switchback model that came later was much better looking and it allowed them to "dump" the Fusion after 2 years yet keep the chassis by using the RMK bodywork across the line.

All they really dumped was the 855/755 motors and the Fusion name.

20 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Polaris was so far behind they just threw a hood that fit over it and tossed it on the market. The RMK/Switchback model that came later was much better looking and it allowed them to "dump" the Fusion after 2 years yet keep the chassis by using the RMK bodywork across the line.

All they really dumped was the 855/755 motors and the Fusion name.

Nice ball sack kick......I had an 08 IQ700....nice name....lol. It was a nice riding sled all the same and reliable....which for the win is everything.

2 minutes ago, Poncho said:

Nice ball sack kick......I had an 08 IQ700....nice name....lol. It was a nice riding sled all the same and reliable....which for the win is everything.

My neighbour had an '08 IQ700 and it burned down on him twice in 5000 kms. Once while he was riding up in Cochrane. His opinion on that sled would differ from yours.

1 minute ago, Puzzleboy said:

James Bond 007 sled FTMFW. 

And the F7 Firekitten fighter plane motif. 

I was shopping for (and later bought) a Rev 600 in Feb of '03. A lot of dealers were sold out of the standard 600's but several had those 007 versions sitting on the floor. I priced one at one dealer and I think it was over $10000 they wanted. May have been $11000. I know it was a big premium. Not one of the better looking sleds if you ask me.

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

My neighbour had an '08 IQ700 and it burned down on him twice in 5000 kms. Once while he was riding up in Cochrane. His opinion on that sled would differ from yours.

Shit Tim every sled, sled owner, sled person, sled part you know or have owned has either exploded, burned down, seized or blown a head gasket......do you think it's you????.....it's unlikely I will have you up for a flight in my plane......lol

6 minutes ago, Poncho said:

Shit Tim every sled, sled owner, sled person, sled part you know or have owned has either exploded, burned down, seized or blown a head gasket......do you think it's you????.....it's unlikely I will have you up for a flight in my plane......lol

Not all have been bad...lol

My 03 Rev 600 was a great sled for me. I put 7000kms on it before it was stolen after 2 years. Those motors had bad pistons though. There was some coating that faked off or something. My buddy has his fixed at 9000 kms.

My 07 600 CFI Switchback was good to me other than the injectors went bad at around 7000 kms and it took a month to get it fixed. Warranty covered it. Rode it just over 11000 kms then couldn't get any money for it. There were plenty of motor problems with those too but mine was fine.

Di's 07 F6 was ok. Fuel tank cracked (which there is a recall for now). The wiring harness rubbed through shorted to the block.

Her '12 Vector has been real good. Its at 8000 kms now.

That IQ700 burned down twice while under warranty which was a 2 year I believe. Not sure if they ever found out what happened. It was stolen a few years ago. He said that was the best thing that could have happened to that sled.

19 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Not all have been bad...lol

My 03 Rev 600 was a great sled for me. I put 7000kms on it before it was stolen after 2 years. Those motors had bad pistons though. There was some coating that faked off or something. My buddy has his fixed at 9000 kms.

My 07 600 CFI Switchback was good to me other than the injectors went bad at around 7000 kms and it took a month to get it fixed. Warranty covered it. Rode it just over 11000 kms then couldn't get any money for it. There were plenty of motor problems with those too but mine was fine.

Di's 07 F6 was ok. Fuel tank cracked (which there is a recall for now). The wiring harness rubbed through shorted to the block.

Her '12 Vector has been real good. Its at 8000 kms now.

That IQ700 burned down twice while under warranty which was a 2 year I believe. Not sure if they ever found out what happened. It was stolen a few years ago. He said that was the best thing that could have happened to that sled.

You are still not getting in the airplane.....:)

Edited by Poncho

56 minutes ago, Poncho said:

You're still not getting in the airplane.....:)

Edit that before Puzzler sees it.

I'm not an airplane kinda guy so we're all good.

Edited by Blackstar