Yamaha Sidewinder

Yamadoo

2 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Sub 100 miles.... Lol.  118 mph stock on radar.  And a first year engine is bound to have some issues. 

The anti-Doo sentiment is strong with you three.  When the Doos start spontaneously combusting (always a concern with any Cat), we'll be worried. 

there is one in the thread that caught fire.  i like the doos, dont get me wrong but large amounts failing sub 100 miles.  Take a read. http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1347514-850-issues/

Not sure about "large amounts" going by one web forum, but like I said, I think there will be teething problems with any all-new engine. Apparently the Summit that caught on fire was fucked with plenty by the owner (mods, etc.)...... but who knows. 

Maybe he ran over a Sidewinder turbo laying on the trail

A buddy of mine had a 1200 fail after a few miles, brand new.  And the 1200 is a pretty proven motor.  If it's man-made, it CAN fail. 

Just now, Puzzleboy said:

Not sure about "large amounts" going by one web forum, but like I said, I think there will be teething problems with any all-new engine. Apparently the Summit that caught on fire was fucked with plenty by the owner (mods, etc.)...... but who knows. 

Maybe he ran over a Sidewinder turbo laying on the trail

A buddy of mine had a 1200 fail after a few miles, brand new.  And the 1200 is a pretty proven motor.  If it's man-made, it CAN fail. 

I 100% agree with you but you are ragging on side winders failing and they are new this season, yet here is doo failing and you say teething problems.  is it not the same?  

6 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

This is/was a Sidewinder thread about how great they were.  Maybe we need a separate 850 shit talk thread.  :)

And the Doo engine is completely new. 

ok, since trail is gone you shall be now known as the new one way.. :bc: 

• Like 1

I read 6 pages into that thread Kev. Mostly guys complaining about late deliveries.  And a few choice bits.  Does sound like at least one crank failure though.  Not a good thing if you're the owner.  :(  But the 6:49 post kinda sums it up.  LoL

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:49 AM

I wonder how long it will take for the arctic cat guys to read this thread and start posting that ALL the 850's are blowing up

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:39 PM

I have an issue with my 850 renegade. I drove it in the field, and it just rips. My issue is we have no trails open to get the full feeling of it. Which I'm sure will be awesome. This sled is the real deal. Quit worrying about 1 sled that caught fire, and possibly 2 that blew up. That failure percentage is nothing compared to the ones that are running top notch
Edited by Puzzleboy

direct from the thread. 

Okay, so 24 pages later we have

(4?) Blown motors from hydro lock, kinked oil lines, bad wiring harness and a couple other issues

(2-3?) Fires from bad wiring harnesses

Many Hot clutches / belts 

Coolant bottle can break from a knee to the right side panel with e-start and no retrofit (ski doo added the pull start brace as a recall)

Coolant burping problems causing overheat

1 bad starter

1 ate a zip tie

1 bad voltage regulator

1 noisy brake rotor

1 vibrating windshield

A bunch of crappy panel connectors (I can verify this one)

Left side panel can not rub up against a tree and not crack (I can verify this one also)

i see you posted what you wanted to see :lol: I am not bashing, we all know poo has had many issues as well.  but call a spade a spade :bc: 

Edited by Kev144

And Rotax manufactured 7500 850s this production run.  I see you failed to post THAT!  :lmao:Or that the clutch/belt issues were due to owners slopping 2-stroke oil when they refill, or manufacturer preservative that was not cleaned by dealers.  Blown motor from a wiring harness?  That's a new one......

I looked at the one "fire" picture.  Could see nothing, and the girl said "wiring damage".  So a fuse didn't blow and insulation melted.  FIre, fire!

Anyway, if they are bad, Doo better step up.  But with a couple verified failures in 7500 engines..... that's still better than airliner turbofans. 

But yeah, we know everything posted online is true. 

• Platinum Contributing Member

6 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

ok, since trail is gone you shall be now known as the new one way.. :bc: 

Doo's with blown motors/cracked bulkheads = minor flaw on small percentage,

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161224/03c4426079ffe8cc8338d6eaa0ceb01e.jpghttp://www.dootalk.com/forums/uploads/monthly_12_2016/post-72228-0-84316800-1481551821.jpg

Cat's with loose bolts = Entire sled is a piece of shit, 100% fail

I just read the last page..... guys talking about acceptable failure rates and gauge reprogramming.  Crickets.....

Believe me, I would be an unhappy owner if I was the guy with the crank failure.  But it is gonna happen unfortunately.  But I hope that ANY brand does not have systemic, plaguing issues.  Stay tuned......

So out of 7500 engines built, we've seen pictures of 2 with problems.  And something like a crank failure is likely due to something like a bad forging.  Like I said, even turbines have these kinds of manufacturing issues. 

How many Cat turbos are falling off, on a much smaller production run?  If a SB has been issued, it's all of them. 

And a problem like that is just the same old shitty quality control. 

Never said Doos are flawless.  Look at my buddy's 1200. 

Won't be steel, but is probably a newer AL casting.  But I think previous models were too.  A forging or a machining,while stronger with the same part geometry, is likely cost prohibitive. 

Just now, Kev144 said:

didnt doo switch to a more cast iron type bulkhead on the new chassis? 

Edited by Puzzleboy

• Platinum Contributing Member
58 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

LOL, yeah, the bulkheads will crack when you hit rocks.  That's Doo's fault.....

A vehicle designed for off road use is going to hit the odd rock along with stumps and god knows what else that's hiding under the snow.

Doo' history is making the bulkhead the weak link as opposed to say the A-arms or spindle.

Don't worry, the aftermarket will design braces to hold them together.

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

A vehicle designed for off road use is going to hit the odd rock along with stumps and god knows what else that's hiding under the snow.

Doo' history is making the bulkhead the weak link as opposed to say the A-arms or spindle.

Don't worry, the aftermarket will design braces to hold them together.

Puzzler is too scared to early since ride because he knows the carnage that will ensue if he gets a hold of a rock or fallen branch. TIn cans. :bc:

Edited by Reevester

2 hours ago, Reevester said:

Puzzler is too scared to early since ride because he knows the carnage that will ensue if he gets a hold of a rock or fallen branch. TIn cans. :bc:

http://www.snowandmud.com/ski-doo-rev-gen-4-a/109319-skidoo-850-a.html

37 pages  

Blown belts and $5K bulkhead repairs look to be the worst of the problems. :bc:

They're actually designed for on-trail use, but yeah, I've hit plenty myself.  I've owned 2 xps, and 2 XRs.  Have pounded the living piss out of 3 of them, and the 4th shortly.  And if you don't believe that, come ride with me any time.  Haven't bent a thing.  Broken a few springs though. 

Guys blaming Doo for hitting a submerged boulder running powerlines is a tad absurd.    But yeah, the Interwebs don't lie. 

And turbos aren't falling off of Cats, either.  :lmao:

Edited by Puzzleboy