Check your account email address ×

Artic cat 800 RR 1400 miles issues report

Rod

1 hour ago, jdels said:

Ok, I'll play.  04 F7.  Bought new.  Proper warm ups every time, APV oil only.  142 compression each side.  Just crossed 10,000 miles.  Two powervalve cleanings but never been touched.  Pistons and cylinder walls look perfect through the y-pipe.

IMG_9716.thumb.jpeg.7c7aa9bb23e8b0df4c1a81153fc9d909.jpegIMG_9714.thumb.jpeg.f8d3e2ff699767eab50d18c94f9a4f6b.jpeg

It's been said a million times....if only by those that know shit about sleds....ZOOK for the mother fucking win.  That is all.  End of story.  :bc:

Just now, Zambroski said:

It's been said a million times....if only by those that know shit about sleds....ZOOK for the mother fucking win.  That is all.  End of story.  :bc:

Couldn't agree more.  I keep a soft look out for a NOS longblock, just have on the shelf.

• Platinum Contributing Member
14 minutes ago, Dave said:

My 15 is not great on fuel or oil unless you putz....who does that?

My 14 and 16 has been great even ridden extremely hard.

9 minutes ago, f7ben said:

The 850 does everything better

No shit.....it should be considering how much newer it is. 

My rating is based on when it was around.   Another engine I put up there with it is the F7's. 

I'm not trying to say its better than today's mills just what it was for when it was out.

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jdels said:

Ok, I'll play.  04 F7.  Bought new.  Proper warm ups every time, APV oil only.  142 compression each side.  Just crossed 10,000 miles.  Two powervalve cleanings but never been touched.  Pistons and cylinder walls look perfect through the y-pipe.

IMG_9716.thumb.jpeg.7c7aa9bb23e8b0df4c1a81153fc9d909.jpegIMG_9714.thumb.jpeg.f8d3e2ff699767eab50d18c94f9a4f6b.jpeg

17 years old.

600 miles a year. 

Tough life.

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

My rating is based on when it was around.   Another engine I put up there with it is the F7's. 

What do you consider great?

Edited by Dave

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I'm not trying to say its better than today's mills just what it was for when it was out.

I’m just not a fan. My buddies sled shop has been filled with 800 etecs this year. Like dozens and dozens. Both 2017 free rides owned by guys I know went down this year. One with 2200 miles on it. The 850 is better on gas and oil and more reliable overall from what I can see

3 minutes ago, Dave said:

What do you consider great?

14+.   Comparing to other brands 800's that rode with me it was consistently better.  

I'm sure a stupid question but you do know about kneeling on the back of XS Doo's to put more fuel in?   

15 minutes ago, Dave said:

My 15 is not great on fuel or oil unless you putz....who does that?

both my 16's were never better on oil than the 12 was.  this poo isn't much better,  light was on at 260 miles but like the gas gauge not real accurate.  was at the fill line at 300. But I will take more oil use for more reliability all day long.  nothing was worse than my 05 600 sdi.   

My gas gauge was flashing at 100 miles but only took 8.5 gallons at 120 so happy with fuel economy.   Buddies 20 was within a few tenths of a gallon but the gauge was more accurate.    

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I’m just not a fan. My buddies sled shop has been filled with 800 etecs this year. Like dozens and dozens. Both 2017 free rides owned by guys I know went down this year. One with 2200 miles on it. The 850 is better on gas and oil and more reliable overall from what I can see

Again I'm not claiming the 850 isn't a great motor and it should be better considering the design is 6-7 years newer.   I'm just going off my experience with them.   I've owned over 25 sleds and these motors have consistently impressed me. 

Edited by Highmark

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

14+.   Comparing to other brands 800's that rode with me it was consistently better.  

I'm sure a stupid question but you do know about kneeling on the back of XS Doo's to put more fuel in?   

Yes I do...lol.

Are you trail riding or off trail....I only off trail with my 800.

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Again I'm not claiming the 850 isn't a great motor and it should be better considering the design is 6-7 years newer.   I'm just going off my experience with them.   I've owned over 25 sleds and these motors have consistently impressed me. 

I never owned one but have logged many miles with them. They were ahead of the game but reliability was really poor from what I’ve mostly seen. 

10 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I really like that 850 in my Back Country.  Has some proper snort for sure and seems pretty decent on gas and oil.  Up to almost 1500 miles on now.

Edited by DriftBusta

5 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I really like that 850 in my Back Country.  Has some proper snort for sure and seems pretty decent on gas and oil.  Up to almost 1500 miles on now.

It’s an awesome motor for sure....they absolutely sip gas when not pushed hard. My buddy took 7.9 gallons Sunday in 105 miles and we were pushing 70-100+ for miles of grade. My 260hp 4s only took 8.1 lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jdels said:

I just dug my 03 F7 out of the trailer last week after sitting for a few years. Top off the fluids add some oil to the gas and hit the trails. Runs like it always has....strong.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Dave said:

Yes I do...lol.

Are you trail riding or off trail....I only off trail with my 800.

Done both.   Been out west with my Gades and lots of trail riding.    Never paid attention out west as we only had etec's and checking mileage is just foolish.   

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I never owned one but have logged many miles with them. They were ahead of the game but reliability was really poor from what I’ve mostly seen. 

We probably had 10 plus in our riding group over the years.   Can't recall one engine issue except on a Dunn ported one.

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

We probably had 10 plus in our riding group over the years.   Can't recall one engine issue except on a Dunn ported one.

I believe it’s a function of time and plugging injectors.

• Like 1