Check your account email address ×

heating elements 2010 XRS 800r

Kivalo

• Gold Member

Found out the fun way the breaks needed to be bled. Now I'm replacing the handlebar and etc. The new heating element has 3 wires whereas my old one had 2. Dootalk threads say to use the two wires that match what I have and tape up the odd wire. Does this sound right to the brain trust here?

I think the 3 wires give it 2 elements with a common ground.

So you might have say 1.2 ohms between a hot wire and the ground. You should get 1.2 ohms from the second hot wire and the same ground. 

If you go between both hots you would have 2.4 ohms. 

You wand to use a 1.2 ohm cct  and not the 2.4 ohm cct as it will not generate any heat.

So you could wire both hots together and hook it to the +12 v wire and then connect the ground to ground. This would be full power. It you only wire one of the hot wires it would be 1/2 power.

17 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

Found out the fun way the breaks needed to be bled. Now I'm replacing the handlebar and etc. The new heating element has 3 wires whereas my old one had 2. Dootalk threads say to use the two wires that match what I have and tape up the odd wire. Does this sound right to the brain trust here?

Wait...what is "the fun way" LOL.

Best to consult the instructions from the handwarmer company but, typically, both hot wires wired together then the ground.

16 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Best to consult the instructions from the handwarmer company but, typically, both hot wires wired together then the ground.

Sounds like the same way he learned you need to strap your boat down real good before you trailer it.

• Haha 1

• Gold Member
34 minutes ago, Wildboer said:

Sounds like the same way he learned you need to strap your boat down real good before you trailer it.

Well, you're not wrong.  :bc:

• Haha 1

• Gold Member
52 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Ripping through a field, went to apply the break for the upcoming road crossing and the brake lever went right to the bar. Squeezed it several times and it came back but it was too late. The ditch and then subsequently the road bent my bars, broke the control box for my headlights and grip warmers and I got some road rash in the left side panel and I cracked the windshield. Then I broke the front grab bar/bumper when I was loading it. I guess I tweaked it and didn't realize it. Could have been worse for sure.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

What household stuff can I use to keep my grip from slipping? I don't feel like driving down to the autoparts store tonight.

I just clean the bars good and use an air compressor to get the grips on. Usually they'll hold good enough from the tension as long as you don't use any lubrication to get them on the bars. Been a while since I've changed a set of grips though.

• Gold Member
Just now, Wildboer said:

I just clean the bars good and use an air compressor to get the grips on. Usually they'll hold good enough from the tension as long as you don't use any lubrication to get them on the bars. Been a while since I've changed a set of grips though.

Yeah Ive heard that too, just wanna make sure.

I recently installed grips and what worked good was spraying the inside of the grip with a little brake clean then quickly sliding them on. Had enough lubrication to make installation easy then quickly dried and left no residue while also helping the rubber adhere to the element.

Also for my 08 switchback, I went to the dealer for an element. They tried to sell me a universal kit for $100. I gave them the factory part number for the element and they had a couple in stock for $40. Came with the factory plug an everything. Didn't have to fuck around to change my stuff to accommodate the universal kit plug ends.

Edited by Tomas.
  • Like 1

• Gold Member
46 minutes ago, hayward said:

Jeebus that don't look good.  You're body break the bars or landing on the road?

Most of that I took apart in the garage to get at various parts of the sled. The bars were bent, the electrical parts on the bar got fucked and the steering is a little out of whack and the road rash were pretty much the only damage. I didn't get hurt at all.

1 hour ago, Wildboer said:

:lol:

1 hour ago, Kivalo said:

Ripping through a field, went to apply the break for the upcoming road crossing and the brake lever went right to the bar. Squeezed it several times and it came back but it was too late. The ditch and then subsequently the road bent my bars, broke the control box for my headlights and grip warmers and I got some road rash in the left side panel and I cracked the windshield. Then I broke the front grab bar/bumper when I was loading it. I guess I tweaked it and didn't realize it. Could have been worse for sure.

Yeah, could’ve been much worse.  Suck city!  Glad you made it through though.  The best stories are the ones that almost had death in them.  :bc:

3 hours ago, Wildboer said:

Confusious is right.  And I just replaced a heater on a 07 REV stock was 3 wires, high, low, and ground.  I did what was stated above, the hot grips didn't come with any instructions.

On 2/4/2021 at 5:48 PM, Kivalo said:

What household stuff can I use to keep my grip from slipping? I don't feel like driving down to the autoparts store tonight.

Fingernail polish. Color doesn,t matter. To bad you weren,t wearing a helmet cam to record your no brake episode you mentioned above. Audio and video would of been awesome.  

2 hours ago, Kivalo said:

Whoever decided to put the fuel pump below the carbs knowing all the shit that has to come off in order to get to the pump can kiss my fucking ass!

Doo sucks ass to do anything to absolutely the worst.