Check your account email address ×

The US is building a bike trail that runs coast-to-coast across 12 states

Ran into a guy loading his mtn bike onto his Scooby Doo. This parking lot is connected to by dual use snowmobile / hiking trails. Early this fall, no snow.

I walk up to him to tell’m no bikes  and he starts off by saying ‘jezus, damn people all over the place hiking in the middle of the trail. WTF ! “ he says. I show him the signs that specifically show what you can and can’t do on the trails. Can’t miss’m. On the huge gate that was closed.

10 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

here in NH with speed limits they like to either sit where speeds of 80+ is safe writing speed tickets or in the parking lot or the gas station writing exhaust and reg tickets.   Maine will set up once in awhile at a corner for unsafe riding which i agree with otherwise jsut at a road crossing for reg check.  

Oh, I didn’t mind them at the trailheads and crossings, I just don’t see any reason for them to be out cruising the trails.  Most of ours sit by the lack where the bars are...for obvious reasons, and I’m good with that also.

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Oh, I didn’t mind them at the trailheads and crossings, I just don’t see any reason for them to be out cruising the trails.  Most of ours sit by the lack where the bars are...for obvious reasons, and I’m good with that also.

i have zero issue with enforcing registration and pipe laws.   I think the speed enforcement done in NH is shit and it's why many stopped riding here.  my last NH trip was 2010 or 11.  I will reg my SxS here though as we did a good job creating a system in the northern third of the state with a mix of fed and local money and reg dollars.  

Just now, Angry ginger said:

i have zero issue with enforcing registration and pipe laws.   I think the speed enforcement done in NH is shit and it's why many stopped riding here.  my last NH trip was 2010 or 11.  I will reg my SxS here though as we did a good job creating a system in the northern third of the state with a mix of fed and local money and reg dollars.  

You guys out there have trails like super highways. Low speed limits would be silly, IMO.

Just now, Zambroski said:

You guys out there have trails like super highways. Low speed limits would be silly, IMO.

TBH thats what most take pictures of but there is plenty of windy narrower trails but still not necessary to have a 45 limit in NH.  NH and VT tend to be tighter than Maine.  Northeastern Maine trails are often on 30 foot wide logging road beds with just some tighter connecting trails.  Northwestern maines a bit tighter and southern Maine being similar to NH and VT

1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

The rails to trails in Wisconsin has lead to ex-railheads being used as pipelines to additional side trails with lots of curves and hills. There’s 4 such examples within riding distance of me. 2 more if you count mountain bikes trails. It’s never been better for biking. The two local bike shops are having the best sales and service years ever. 

You should pack up your bald head and everything you own into a u-haul and move to the utopia that is North Hampton Massachusetts. You can get your morning coffee with skim goat milk and free range honey just the way you like it and everyone you meet in town is in some kind of therapy so you will have plenty to do. Bike trails in all directions, check. Middle aged men with ponytail, check. Mayor is a lesbian Democrat, check. What more could you ask for.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Not really. There are some, though, usually railroad trails  yeh, but not what you think. come into the mtn area where I’m at, and you turning and banging 500 Cat Lovers would think you are in paradise. 

Like boating, law enforcement is only really around on Saturdays and lightly maybe earlier Sundays. Heavy use straight rail type trails more likely.  If they are around weekdays they will issue warnings or just signal to slow down.

Edited by CFM

The state just in the last 2 years put 2 million in the rail to trail on our system, tons of bicycles when there is no snow, that is most of the time anymore. I've walked on the trails quite a lot, hard to believe the stuff you don't see when you are going 80 mph. and only notice when walking.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Only asking as you’re bragging about multiple sleds.  Figured you owned a bunch of old shit :lol: 

"Bragging".  Snide remark about him not owning a sled.  He replies "I don't own A sled, but owns multiple sleds".  Thereby issuing a hard fucking :owned: to said accuser.

...and here you come!

Special Olympic GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, frenchy said:

plenty of off-road trails dedicated to bikes around here and they are all user pay (require a pass to ride on them) as it should be.....

On road bikes should also be required to by tabs as well .

Use to be that way in Minneapolis 45yrs ago. My first tix ever was riding my bike to school and got a no bike license tix .

Bikes oay no gas tax no tabs yet we spend millions of our gas tax and licensing tax to build and maintain roads for them to ride on . Fucking insane 

35 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

You should pack up your bald head and everything you own into a u-haul and move to the utopia that is North Hampton Massachusetts. You can get your morning coffee with skim goat milk and free range honey just the way you like it and everyone you meet in town is in some kind of therapy so you will have plenty to do. Bike trails in all directions, check. Middle aged men with ponytail, check. Mayor is a lesbian Democrat, check. What more could you ask for.

Fucking utopia 

• Platinum Contributing Member
39 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

TBH thats what most take pictures of but there is plenty of windy narrower trails but still not necessary to have a 45 limit in NH.  NH and VT tend to be tighter than Maine.  Northeastern Maine trails are often on 30 foot wide logging road beds with just some tighter connecting trails.  Northwestern maines a bit tighter and southern Maine being similar to NH and VT

Plus a lot of northeastern maine trails in fields will have a 30-100 ft median strip between east/west ect

43 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Boulder CO is a whole lot better for biking. People are a lot nicer too. East coasters are snobs. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Boulder CO is a whole lot better for biking. People are a lot nicer too. East coasters are snobs. 

And better scenery - both natural and women, drinks, and social scene.  Had a few Boulder experiences - great place.  

Just now, SnowRider said:

And better scenery - both natural and women, drinks, and social scene.  Had a few Boulder experiences - great place.  

Boulder has the MPT for bombing the town. Or there’s access to the climb up to the mountains for some crazy mtn biking. There’s also some great trails around Red Rocks. Ride through the day and then take in a concert at the premier rock concert venue of the world. Doesn’t get much better. :) 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
52 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

He could also dance across the rainbow crosswalk.