Check your account email address ×

Gapes and Wails

Rod

@Bontz I think you were trying to get the turbo/clutching topic going with Ben in another thread, do you want to weigh in now? 

Anyways bud just thought I'd let you know it's being discussed now. I'd love to hear what you and your crew feel about this :bc:

On 10/24/2023 at 9:42 AM, Bontz said:

A thread like this coming from the guy who claims there's no need for clutching changes when adding horsepower ... priceless :lol:

:ashamed:

13 minutes ago, HSR said:

Stock = fast

Stock plus added boost = faster

Stock/added boost and clutching = fastest

Does this sum it up for everyone :dunno:

Not really , my slingshot with stock clutching was as fast or faster than the speedwerx and bmp sleds in my group that were fully set up and clutched. That’s trail setups with 4 stage tunes and pump premium. 

Edited by f7ben

I’m sure with plenty of tinkering good clutch guys can make anything faster. There’s always gains and compromises to be had clutching anything. A good clutch setup at 7700 is still going to be a good setup at 8700 though. That’s the whole point. 

Edited by f7ben

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

That’s the whole point. 

IMHO the whole point is so guys can gain power and see some moderate gains over stock. I'd bet if you asked anyone selling them if more gains could be seen through clutching they would all answer,absolutely.

None of them claim that you won't see gains with clutching, just that it isn't needed unless you want to see max improvement.

There's guys out there that can make anything faster with clutching/gearing.

16 minutes ago, HSR said:

IMHO the whole point is so guys can gain power and see some moderate gains over stock. I'd bet if you asked anyone selling them if more gains could be seen through clutching they would all answer,absolutely.

None of them claim that you won't see gains with clutching, just that it isn't needed unless you want to see max improvement.

There's guys out there that can make anything faster with clutching/gearing.

Well specifically the tune I ran on my z1 and my buddies z1 was very sensitive to changes from stock weights. If it didn’t pull 82-8300 rpm on the hit the tune immediately dumped fuel and timing and the sled wouldn’t get out of its own way. When I put the tune in my buddies sled he had a set of speedwerx weights that were the same grams as stock but slightly more aggressive profile. Sled would not run , immediate popping and backfiring when you pinned it. Bought a set of stock weights after emailing D&D and the sled was an animal. 

I had the same tune in my sled. My secondary rollers shit out so I threw a clutch off an m1000 on it. The tune hated the straight 36 and whatever spring was in that clutch. Would not run. Got the stock clutch back on it and bam, sled was a rocket again. 

When they say they designed that tune for the stock clutch setup they are not lying. It runs 17-18lbs boost and nobody else can make more that 15-16 on pump without major det. That’s because they let it spin big rpm. Much snappier and when you’re talking 260+ Hp every last half sled length doesn’t matter. 

35 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Well specifically the tune I ran on my z1 and my buddies z1 was very sensitive to changes from stock weights. If it didn’t pull 82-8300 rpm on the hit the tune immediately dumped fuel and timing and the sled wouldn’t get out of its own way. When I put the tune in my buddies sled he had a set of speedwerx weights that were the same grams as stock but slightly more aggressive profile. Sled would not run , immediate popping and backfiring when you pinned it. Bought a set of stock weights after emailing D&D and the sled was an animal. 

I had the same tune in my sled. My secondary rollers shit out so I threw a clutch off an m1000 on it. The tune hated the straight 36 and whatever spring was in that clutch. Would not run. Got the stock clutch back on it and bam, sled was a rocket again. 

When they say they designed that tune for the stock clutch setup they are not lying. It runs 17-18lbs boost and nobody else can make more that 15-16 on pump without major det. That’s because they let it spin big rpm. Much snappier and when you’re talking 260+ Hp every last half sled length doesn’t matter. 

Sounds like they are almost as sensitive as some of the members of FS,,,,,,,,,almost :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Need to take more pics rather than on Snapchat lol

my oldest boy is 15 and he’s almost finished his top to bottom service rebuild on his 97 Mach 1 

he just wanted help putting the crank in because he’s never done that before but after than he nicely told me to go away lol

he did his ring gaps and everything. See how it runs soon I guess 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

I mean,...that's kinda badass..lol.. Congrats..:bc:

The firebird still tucked away in a corner somewhere ?

Thank you 

I still have the bird but it’s hibernating, or being really neglected if you want to call it that 

• Like 2