Check your account email address ×

Stocks tanking

3 hours ago, jdsky said:

A 70 or 80% total annual return in 2020 would be nearly impossible to achieve if you actually have a long term strategy in place that employs some hedge against risk. 

That’s not what I said, read it again.  I referenced the last two years, meaning that is the gain you could’ve realized in that period of time, two years.  And that is approximately what most of my growth focus or all equity portfolios earned in that period of time.  That is what guys like Ben left on the table.  I can’t tell you how many advisers I’ve seen in this business for 20-30 years, with lots of initials after their name, who have piss poor customer service skills, build these set it and forget it portfolios, and then the investors wonder why they’re only averaging seven or 8% a year.  

3 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

selective accounting.   plenty use the bottom of the market to talk about their 2020 gains ignoring the crash that occurred in march.    

Another guy with a piss poor reading comprehension. 

1 hour ago, poopooforme said:

This sums you up perfectly.  Cock sucking piece of shit.  I bet there are alot of people that would love to be in the same room as you when you say something like that.  I can't believe I am the first person to call you out on it.  What a terrible selfish thing to say.  

He says a lot of things that indicate a mind that is not at all healthy. Keep in mind this guy was a mental health professional before he retired. 

Edited by DriftBusta

4 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

That’s not what I said, read it again.  I referenced the last two years, meaning that is the gain you could’ve realized in that period of time, two years.  And that is approximately what most of my growth focus or all equity portfolios earned in that period of time.  I can’t tell you how many guys you’ve been in this business for 20-30 years, with lots of initials after their name, who have piss poor customer service skills, build these set it and forget it portfolios, and then the investors wonder why they’re only averaging seven or 8% a year.

He says a lot of things that indicate a mind that is not at all healthy. Keep in mind this guy was a mental health professional before he retired. 

Yes, and you instruct each of your clients not to invest in any company where they might be making money off of the misfortune or death of others. 

2 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Yes, and you instruct each of your clients not to invest in any company where they might be making money off of the misfortune or death of others. 

What a ridiculous thing to say.

22 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

That’s not what I said, read it again.  I referenced the last two years, meaning that is the gain you could’ve realized in that period of time, two years.  And that is approximately what most of my growth focus or all equity portfolios earned in that period of time.  That is what guys like Ben left on the table.  I can’t tell you how many advisers I’ve seen in this business for 20-30 years, with lots of initials after their name, who have piss poor customer service skills, build these set it and forget it portfolios, and then the investors wonder why they’re only averaging seven or 8% a year.  

That is very true but you are several % points above what most advisers can average.  Also, the size of the portfolio does not equate to better management as here you would be hard pressed to find many that could take a several 7 figure portfolio and put out better than 5%, before fees.

You seem to be doing very well for your clients, keep it up.:bc:

42 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

What a ridiculous thing to say.

Here’s what I find absolutely comical and why I no longer really play in these financial threads: The only guy on this board whose industry actually IS in financial brokering is badgered around like he’s the one that doesn’t know shit and anybody can just jump in and get licensed to do that job.  I fucking LOL.and yes, I know you aren’t sitting by the red phone giving the NYSE daily hints BUT, the brains in charge in your organization DO funnel solid info down their hierarchy and the training and info you receive daily is much, much more and much, much better and current than any of us receive.  Now yes, not all of us are retards and some of us have done well and are moderately versed in the market and can make smarter moves than most but, all in all, I’d take your advice because you are “in the know” a helluva lot more than I am.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Here’s what I find absolutely comical and why I no longer really play in these financial threads: The only guy on this board whose industry actually IS in financial brokering is badgered around like he’s the one to at doesn’t know shit and anybody can just jump in and get licensed to do that job.  I fucking LOL.and yes, I know you aren’t sitting by the red phone giving the NYSE daily hints BUT, the brains in charge in your organization DO funnel solid info down their hierarchy and the training and info you receive daily is much, much more than much, much better and current than any of us receive.  Now yes, not all of us are retards and some of us have done well and are moderately versed in market and can make smarter moves than most but, all in all, I’d take your advice because you are “in the know” a helluva lot more than I am.

People need to get more involved in their financial future, but the problem is, most are complete idiots and have no stomach for losses.  They then put blind trust in advisers with the mandate to not lose any capital, hence poor returns by design.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

That is very true but you are several % points above what most advisers can average.  Also, the size of the portfolio does not equate to better management as here you would be hard pressed to find many that could take a several 7 figure portfolio and put out better than 5%, before fees.

You seem to be doing very well for your clients, keep it up.:bc:

That blows me away.  I’d be embarrassed returning 5%, unless maybe we’re talking 2018, when the market was pretty flat. And we never quote returns before fees, only net after fees.  What I have seen in the past several years are there are plenty of independent guys out there I’ll give this industry a bad name because they don’t follow best practices or act in the best interest of their clients. I wouldn’t last five minutes here if I started fucking around and churning peoples money or worse, just ignoring their accounts.  :bc: 

22 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Here’s what I find absolutely comical and why I no longer really play in these financial threads: The only guy on this board whose industry actually IS in financial brokering is badgered around like he’s the one that doesn’t know shit and anybody can just jump in and get licensed to do that job.  I fucking LOL.and yes, I know you aren’t sitting by the red phone giving the NYSE daily hints BUT, the brains in charge in your organization DO funnel solid info down their hierarchy and the training and info you receive daily is much, much more and much, much better and current than any of us receive.  Now yes, not all of us are retards and some of us have done well and are moderately versed in the market and can make smarter moves than most but, all in all, I’d take your advice because you are “in the know” a helluva lot more than I am.

Yeah I’ve noticed that....the badgering part.  I just laugh, their loss.  We’re a fortune 400 company, and our research department and resources are at or near top of the game.  Collectively we manage 1.5 trillion dollars. I’ve never claimed that I was a financial guru, or stockpicking expert. I have only been doing this for five years now.  But I can assure you it’s not easy getting hired here and the oversight is constant.  Jones has a good reputation in the industry and they take no chances of having it compromised.  :bc: 

11 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

And wholesome stocks and investments is all that you recommend and deal in? 

Hell no. :lol:   Their performance is shit.  but if that’s what you want, that’s what I will invest you win. “What’s most important to me is whats most important to you”

4 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Hell no. :lol:   Their performance is shit.  but if that’s what you want, that’s what I will invest you win. “What’s most important to me is whats most important to you”

Ok, I’ll rephrase it in your speak....I invested in Moderna to assist the company in the noble cause of ridding the nation of the pandemic scourge. See how that works?  :lol: 

8 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Ok, I’ll rephrase it in your speak....I invested in Moderna to assist the company in the noble cause of ridding the nation of the pandemic scourge. See how that works?  :lol: 

Hey I’m happy for you!  Nothing gives me more satisfaction than to see my clients make a lot of money! Your comment earlier was taking pleasure in people getting COVID-19 which is just wrong. Moderna should be commended, and their investors rewarded. That is how it works.

33 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

People need to get more involved in their financial future, but the problem is, most are complete idiots and have no stomach for losses.  They then put blind trust in advisers with the mandate to not lose any capital, hence poor returns by design.

I agree.  I tried to do my own shit for almost a year.  I set up a really nice multi-screen home-day trading office and took a good sum of coin and and BAM!  Lost six digits faster than the speed of light!  Spent 12+ hours a day trying to figure it all out and slowly clawed most of my money back.  I’m glad I was smart enough to realize my limitations (learned I didn’t have the stomach for it) early on and glad my losses were minimal.  I trade with a moderate sum of “fun money” now but, my main portfolio is professionally managed.  I’ll make one or two trades a year and have done really well with the last few....but I’m sure as fuck not going to start believing I’ve got a grip on the market.  In fact, I took about 40% of my gains from AMZN and moved them to my broker....to protect myself, from myself!  :lmao:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I agree.  I tried to do my own shit for almost a year.  I set up a really nice multi-screen home-day trading office and took a good sum of coin and and BAM!  Lost six digits faster than the speed of light!  Spent 12+ hours a day trying to figure it all out and slowly clawed most of my money back.  I’m glad I was smart enough to realize my limitations (learned I didn’t have the stomach for it) early on and glad my losses were minimal.  I trade with a moderate sum of “fun money” now but, my main portfolio is professionally managed.  I’ll make one or two trades a year and have done really well with the last few....but I’m sure as fuck not going to start believing I’ve got a grip on the market.  In fact, I took about 40% of my gains from AMZN and moved them to my broker....to protect myself, from myself!  :lmao:

I know that I need to get more serious about my money. Really I use my company appointed 401k and that’s about it. I’m trying to get a small side business going in the next year or so and I’d like to put a good 1/3 of that money into something for the future. I am watching my 70+ year old parents struggle right now and it’s painful to watch. I don’t want to be in that position. 

16 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

In the past year, I have gotten a little shy with individual stocks, because of the volatility. I keep a little play money for some individual stuff but for the most part I just stick with what we call our focus list funds. And some of those funds are on fucking fire this year with long track records.  PRJQX is one example.  :snack: 

Edited by DriftBusta

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

In the past year, I have gotten a little shy with individual stocks, because of the volatility. I keep a little play money for some individual stuff but for the most part I just stick with what we call our focus list funds. And some of those funds are on fucking fire this year and have long track records.  PRJQX is one example.  :snack: 

I keep a few indy's around

Done great with paypal. Did real good with ford last recession. Just grabbed some coke, hoping that comes back after pandemic is over.

4 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I know that I need to get more serious about my money. Really I use my company appointed 401k and that’s about it. I’m trying to get a small side business going in the next year or so and I’d like to put a good 1/3 of that money into something for the future. I am watching my 70+ year old parents struggle right now and it’s painful to watch. I don’t want to be in that position. 

too many people don''t realize that the best thing you can do is start young even if it's not a ton of money as the time value makes such a huge difference.  I started in my 401k at 22,  started maxing it out at 26/27 and am prob at this point over saving but SS scares me so I am trying to not rely on it.   If i knew it was going to be there i could be done,  instead I turn 50 in 2021 so the government will let me put away $26000 tax free next year which I will.  Unfortunately being a crotchety fuck i'll prob live forever so need to have the money to make it happen.  

Just now, steve from amherst said:

I keep a few indy's around

Done great with paypal. Did real good with ford last recession. Just grabbed some coke, hoping that comes back after pandemic is over.

Yeah PayPal has Ben really strong.  Watching Blink and Quantumscape and fantasizing that if I had just put 100 grand into each of them a few months ago. :lol: 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

too many people don''t realize that the best thing you can do is start young even if it's not a ton of money as the time value makes such a huge difference.  I started in my 401k at 22,  started maxing it out at 26/27 and am prob at this point over saving but SS scares me so I am trying to not rely on it.   If i knew it was going to be there i could be done,  instead I turn 50 in 2021 so the government will let me put away $26000 tax free next year which I will.  Unfortunately being a crotchety fuck i'll prob live forever so need to have the money to make it happen.  

That’s pretty accurate. I started at age 21. Took some time off work for school and then got right back to work after graduating. I was told some good advice. Learn to live within your means minus 15% of your gross income. That money is either saved or invested. I thought it would be impossible at first. I was wrong. It’s very possible and one comes to adjust.

I’ve become very minimalistic since turning 50. Material stuff doesn’t do much for me any longer. I think the older one gets the more family relationships take precedence over stuff. At least it’s worked that way with me. I look at some of the other guys my age and it’s god damn frightening. They have no retirement. No pension. No hard investments that offer a revenue stream. They’ve done zero planning for their future and unfortunately the future is here.

i found in retirement that I clearly need to work. Retirement isn’t an option for reasons related to self fulfillment. But I want to be calling my own shots as far as what I do - and it needs to be rewarding. At this point I’m not working to survive, I’m working to give life some additional meaning and reward. 

Edited by ActionfigureJoe
  • Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
28 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

That’s pretty accurate. I started at age 21. Took some time off work for school and then got right back to work after graduating. I was told some good advice. Learn to live within your means minus 15% of your gross income. That money is either saved or invested. I thought it would be impossible at first. I was wrong. It’s very possible and one comes to adjust.

I’ve become very minimalistic since turning 50. Material stuff doesn’t do much for me any longer. I think the older one gets the more family relationships take precedence over stuff. At least it’s worked that way with me. I look at some of the other guys my age and it’s god damn frightening. They have no retirement. No pension. No hard investments that offer a revenue stream. They’ve done zero planning for their future and unfortunately the future is here.

i found in retirement that I clearly need to work. Retirement isn’t an option for reasons related to self fulfillment. But I want to be calling my own shots as far as what I do - and it needs to be rewarding. At this point I’m not working to survive, I’m working to give life some additional meaning and reward. 

A man needs a reason to exist.