Check your account email address ×

Carbide ski runners on C&A Pro skis

Are all carbides created equal?  example.  Are the mounting studs all mounted the same distance apart or is each manufacturer and aftermarket brand have different spacing?

I'll be ordering new carbides for my '11 GSX1200LE that has C&A Pro3 skis on it, do I need to get carbides specifically for these skis?

carbide.jpg

20 hours ago, Zambroski said:

No, not created equal.  You must buy the runner that will fit your skis or, modify either the ski or the runner.  

Thank you Zam I'm ordering Woody's 6" now. 

Edit - I ordered 4" not 6". Nose heavy sled with no studs.

Edited by Fireball 440
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Anler said:

I'm thinking about trying the ace bar next. Every pair of shapers I've owned ends up having carbide segments missing. 

After markets skis are the solution.  THEN carbides.  People that think fancy “boutique” carbides will solve aggressive handling problems are neat-o to listen to on the trails.

”Yuh...these Bergrtums are the shit man......then, when Inuse this fancy adjustable carbide adjuster turny thingy....”

*me making sure I don’t get stuck behind them.

13 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

After markets skis are the solution.  THEN carbides.  People that think fancy “boutique” carbides will solve aggressive handling problems are neat-o to listen to on the trails.

”Yuh...these Bergrtums are the shit man......then, when Inuse this fancy adjustable carbide adjuster turny thingy....”

*me making sure I don’t get stuck behind them.

I've owned lots of aftermarket skis and the shaper bar segments have always been a problem. I've had one pop off mounting brand new ones on my usis

Just now, Fireball 440 said:

I had thought about it.

What skies have you had luck with on the 1200?

Pilots with less carbide than you’d think. The 1200 steers pretty heavy as is. This cna junks are gonna wear you out and might even kill you in the right conditions 

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Pilots with less carbide than you’d think. The 1200 steers pretty heavy as is. This cna junks are gonna wear you out and might even kill you in the right conditions 

It does steer heavy, not Yamaha heavy but yes heavy. Maybe I'll trade them off for some pilots during the season.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Fireball 440 said:

It does steer heavy, not Yamaha heavy but yes heavy. Maybe I'll trade them off for some pilots during the season.

Try Curve XS skis

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fireball 440 said:

I had thought about it.

What skies have you had luck with on the 1200?

put 6.9 pilots on.   Lots of the aftermarket skis steer way to heavy.  Had a buddy bitching about the slydogs on mine after riding it because it was 100x heavier than pilots but I found 5.7 pilots to be junk.  

7 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

put 6.9 pilots on.   Lots of the aftermarket skis steer way to heavy.  Had a buddy bitching about the slydogs on mine after riding it because it was 100x heavier than pilots but I found 5.7 pilots to be junk.  

5.7 pilots are great groomed trail skis

12 minutes ago, f7ben said:

5.7 pilots are great groomed trail skis

when the snow is hard i would agree,  the minute it becomes chopped up, loose or slushy they are not.  The 6.9 pilot gives up nothing to the 5.7 and performs better in more conditions. 

• Like 1

The keel length on the ski (including the carbides) is what makes the steering.  Width and outside keels are for float, tracking and stability in hard banks. When people complain about hard steering in aftermarket skis....it's because they've chosen a ski with too much keel....and/or they don't know how to set up their sleds.  It's really not any aftermarket ski is better.  Same as it's not one suspension tune is the best for everyone.  There's a bit of a science behind it and one should go into it seriously (and honestly) about what they need for their type of riding.

Ski Performance | Hardcore Sledder

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

The keel length on the ski (including the carbides) is what makes the steering.  Width and outside keels are for float, tracking and stability in hard banks. When people complain about hard steering in aftermarket skis....it's because they've chosen a ski with too much keel....and/or they don't know how to set up their sleds.  It's really not any aftermarket ski is better.  Same as it's not one suspension tune is the best for everyone.  There's a bit of a science behind it and one should go into it seriously (and honestly) about what they need for their type of riding.

Ski Performance | Hardcore Sledder

couple of the guys ran the XTX on their freerides/backcountries.  that did not last long given their handling characteristics.  I rode one Gade with XT's and that was terrible but as you said with the keel depth not unexpected.  End of the day I found DS2's were great overall skis after running slydogs on my 05 Rev gade and 09 XP gade.   I put them on my 16 XRS the day I got it and they were stock on my 2 freerides.  

32 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

when the snow is hard i would agree,  the minute it becomes chopped up, loose or slushy they are not.  The 6.9 pilot gives up nothing to the 5.7 and performs better in more conditions. 

Agreed

7 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

If I can adjust a little less ski pressure out of it will be much better.

A "little"?  I assume your center shock is adjustable?  You can drop the limiters a hole also...or drill one in between and try that.

Just now, Angry ginger said:

couple of the guys ran the XTX on their freerides/backcountries.  that did not last long given their handling characteristics.  I rode one Gade with XT's and that was terrible but as you said with the keel depth not unexpected.  End of the day I found DS2's were great overall skis after running slydogs on my 05 Rev gade and 09 XP gade.   I put them on my 16 XRS the day I got it and they were stock on my 2 freerides.  

I went from Razors to XT's and never looked back.  My sleds aren't easy riding anyway and are set up for my purpose.  The XT's are not for the casual riders for sure.  Pretty brutal at touristy speeds.  I think Doo's pilot R's are about the best stock skis out there.  Any stock ski on Cat is garbage.  "bout the same with Polaris.