Check your account email address ×

Waiting for a fukkin storm!!!

2 hours ago, Fireball 440 said:

I have an old friend who lives a few blocks from me he does grass in the summer and snow in the winter. He's a one man show.  He has 2 '90's Ford Rangers, 2 blowers, and 2 shovels.  He makes his way, all residential 50x100 lots.  He's been doing this for 15 years and he works 2 days a week at a grocery store.  Summer he just has 2 mowers and 2 trimmers, 2 leaf blowers it's all you need for residential city lots.  I do know he has a Wild Thing chainsaw  :lmao:

i'm jealous,  all i have is a wood shark

25 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

my snow moving arsenal, '14 Ram 1500 Boss poly, '04 Dakota(bought new) Curtis poly and '01 Kubota BX2200 for stacking snow if needed

IMG_20171225_105557458 (2).jpg

DSCN0169 (2).JPG

DSCN0166 (2).JPG

:thumbsup:

22 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

Did you get any plowing pics?

I didn't. I was out in the dark moving snow.

I'm working on a bunch of them............might get them tomorrow, or next day.

Fukkin dink.   

• Platinum Contributing Member

while we are talking snow plows, anyone ever seen one of these backblade plows in action? I haven't ever seen one. My employee says there is one company in town who has 2 of them.

12 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

while we are talking snow plows, anyone ever seen one of these backblade plows in action? I haven't ever seen one. My employee says there is one company in town who has 2 of them.

I saw somewhere a guy had one, unsure of brand, but it would randomly open and change positions. 

19 hours ago, Fireball 440 said:

None of you amateurs have a stake in the game when Fireballs out moving snow in my 30 year old 1/2 ton with true dual exhaust pushing a 30 year old Western 8 foot straight blade with a Harbor Freight 2500lb ATV winch controlling up/down movement.  :badass:

plow truck2.jpg

I'm your huckleberry. 

1995 300 six f150. All my hydraulics work though.

20190202_125158~2.jpg

Edited by Big Crappie
  • Like 1

the original frink snow plow was started by carl frink in new york state. i have several of there 11ft dustpans. the newer plows are everst american. as far as carbide edges all my trucks plow town roads and i prefer to not be changing edges every couple storms. with carbide a set of edges on the plow may go most of the winter while changing the wings edges 4  times 

I don't know about snow-plowing as a business. I don't know what an outfit CLEARS at the end of the year. 

Any idea?

I think it's a troublesome business.

If I had to plow for a living right now, I would declare bankruptcy, disability, and apply for welfare, assistance, food stamps, donations, charity, and anything that could keep me out of a plow truck.

After two hours of plowing this place, I've had more than enough of snow-plowing fun. 

34 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

I don't know about snow-plowing as a business. I don't know what an outfit CLEARS at the end of the year. 

Any idea?

I think it's a troublesome business.

If I had to plow for a living right now, I would declare bankruptcy, disability, and apply for welfare, assistance, food stamps, donations, charity, and anything that could keep me out of a plow truck.

After two hours of plowing this place, I've had more than enough of snow-plowing fun. 

It blows. Thats what it is like. This last storm was 10 hrs of pushing pig shit. Shit slopped around everywhere but in front of the plow. Then I het some asswipe that never moved their car.

Like I said , it blows.

9 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

It blows. Thats what it is like. This last storm was 10 hrs of pushing pig shit. Shit slopped around everywhere but in front of the plow. Then I het some asswipe that never moved their car.

Like I said , it blows.

How many plows ya' runnin' ? 

I have a friend that just lost their plow guy.............GUY JUST GAVE IT UP, SICK OF IT.

I find that I get " DOPEY " after plowing for a bit. Of course I'm older, and that contributes to it, but I think the back and forth motion, stop and go, stress over all the hazards constantly there, it debilitates and fatigues you to some degree. 

I could NEVAH plow for more than two hours nowadays.  

1 minute ago, Polaris 550 said:

I have a friend that just lost their plow guy.............GUY JUST GAVE IT UP, SICK OF IT.

I find that I get " DOPEY " after plowing for a bit. Of course I'm older, and that contributes to it, but I think the back and forth motion, stop and go, stress over all the hazards constantly there, it debilitates and fatigues you to some degree. 

I used to plow with an ATV and that will wear you out.  The RZR is much better.  The truck is most comfortable.  Small driveways the RZR will do a better job and faster than the truck ever will.  Usually when I use the RZR I will have like 3 minutes of cleanup with a shovel, with the truck I'll be out after with the blower opening up walkways and doorways.

1 minute ago, Fireball 440 said:

I used to plow with an ATV and that will wear you out.  The RZR is much better.  The truck is most comfortable.  Small driveways the RZR will do a better job and faster than the truck ever will.  Usually when I use the RZR I will have like 3 minutes of cleanup with a shovel, with the truck I'll be out after with the blower opening up walkways and doorways.

Yup, before I bought the BOSS for the truck, I considered just getting a plow for the quad.

Then I thought it over and figured I'd be freezin' my ass off out there, and the place was just too big for a quad plow.

In a big storm, I have to use the truck, the snow blower, shovel, and a roof rake. At least 2 1/2-3 hours. 

I ain't lookin' forward to that..........at all.    

22 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

I just sub for a bud. Do 3 commercials in Nashua. Those I dont mind. The next day I help cleanup section 8 in lowell. That's where I hit the car. Thinking of telling him no more Lowell for me.

12 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

I just sub for a bud. Do 3 commercials in Nashua. Those I dont mind. The next day I help cleanup section 8 in lowell. That's where I hit the car. Thinking of telling him no more Lowell for me.

Yeah, not easy money, that's for sure. 

I would think the bullshit in Lowell is enough to make ya' give that up. 

while not an easy business to be in, the key is to keep over head down, my Dakota was my primary residential truck for 15 years it has made me a lot of coin, I bought the Ram with 20k on the clock and installed the Boss as a spare, if I plow once or twice a week I am good to go, planning on being done in the next 3 years, 30+ years is enough and am not going to upgrade anymore equipment

1 minute ago, 01mxz800 said:

while not an easy business to be in, the key is to keep over head down, my Dakota was my primary residential truck for 15 years it has made me a lot of coin, I bought the Ram with 20k on the clock and installed the Boss as a spare, if I plow once or twice a week I am good to go, planning on being done in the next 3 years, 30+ years is enough and am not going to upgrade anymore equipment

My buddy makes out better with his sanding than plowing.

3 minutes ago, ckf said:

I sold my sanding equipment when I quit doing commercial I was going to try making a pre-treating brine tank a few years ago but never did, on average there is usually around 10-15 plowable events in our area and only commercial properties want that not my resi's

5 minutes ago, ckf said:

Salting is where most guys make their money around here.

For most commercial and residential contracts, the plowing gets quoted on a seasonal basis and salting is quoted per time.  It takes a lot less time to salt and if you can control the amount of material you put down you can make yourself a good profit. Combine that with many times you salt (most contracts will say "at contractor's discretion". Many of the big companies are now importing their own bulk salt supply to get cost of material as low as possible. Some have set up a bulk business and sell and load salt to the small guys.

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Salting is where most guys make their money around here.

For most commercial and residential contracts, the plowing gets quoted on a seasonal basis and salting is quoted per time.  It takes a lot less time to salt and if you can control the amount of material you put down you can make yourself a good profit. Combine that with many times you salt (most contracts will say "at contractor's discretion". Many of the big companies are now importing their own bulk salt supply to get cost of material as low as possible. Some have set up a bulk business and sell and load salt to the small guys.

I used to buy my salt in bulk as I have several salt mines within 30 miles of me but I do my plowing by the trip and no longer do seasonal contracts anymore, on a high snow winter contracts can bite you in the ass