Check your account email address ×

Florida retiree wrestles puppy from jaws of alligator

In a dramatic encounter recorded by surveillance cameras, a Florida man chased an alligator under water and rescued his 3-month-old puppy from the jaws of death.

Richard Wilbanks, 74, of Estero ran into his backyard pond, wrestled the gator above surface, and pried its jaws open to free Gunner, his Cavalier King Charles spaniel.

"We were just out walking by the pond," Wilbanks told CNN, "and it came out of the water like a missile. I never thought an alligator could be that fast. It was so quick."

He said adrenaline or instinct kicked in, and "I just automatically jumped into the water."

Holding the alligator wasn't so tough, but prying open the jaws was "extremely hard," he said.

Wilbanks said his hands were "chewed up," and he went to a doctor for a tetanus shot.

video of the incident here

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/florida-retiree-wrestles-puppy-from-jaws-of-alligator-1.5199243?cid=sm%3Atrueanthem%3Actvnews%3Apost&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0ZehnVfI_70pvof1WjZA4YezebTLaQjPxHvw_Cx4Txd7A7MBreHZuPh08

• Platinum Contributing Member

Saw that on the news a couple days ago.....didn't realize the guy was 74....not bad reaction to jump in the water like that. 

About the same age as p550.....I wonder if he could wrestle a gator like that?   But from what I hear on this site, he's a bit more adept at handling snakes.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Saw that on the news a couple days ago.....didn't realize the guy was 74....not bad reaction to jump in the water like that. 

About the same age as p550.....I wonder if he could wrestle a gator like that?   But from what I hear on this site, he's a bit more adept at handling snakes.

Trouser snakes

• Haha 1