Check your account email address ×

Voting system

With a biometric based system and encryption all the way through, including in-use by leveraging homomorphic encryption, it should be made 100% digital and accessible.  Remote voting could be done leveraging strong 2 factor authentication such as facial or voice-print recognition checked against an ID database, backed by AI to spot deepfakes.  It's all doable and wouldn't even be that hard.

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

With a biometric based system and encryption all the way through, including in-use by leveraging homomorphic encryption, it should be made 100% digital and accessible.  Remote voting could be done leveraging strong 2 factor authentication such as facial or voice-print recognition checked against an ID database, backed by AI to spot deepfakes.  It's all doable and wouldn't even be that hard.

introduce a national ID at the same time paid for by the government (like the current passport cards) National id for voting,  land and sea crossing proof of citizenship etc.   States can attach DL profiles to it as well.   Scan the NFC chip with your phone,  2 factor authentication and vote online within a set open period.  Shut if off after that system tabulates and results should be available at 11pm EST across the country.   

Part of the issue is this is not a Federal election, therefore there can not be 1 set of rules.   It is 50 states individuals elections coordinated on a certain date that are used to determine those who are voting for the office of president/VP.   Would be a constitutional change to make it anything different.  

4 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

introduce a national ID at the same time paid for by the government (like the current passport cards) National id for voting,  land and sea crossing proof of citizenship etc.   States can attach DL profiles to it as well.   Scan the NFC chip with your phone,  2 factor authentication and vote online within a set open period.  Shut if off after that system tabulates and results should be available at 11pm EST across the country.   

Part of the issue is this is not a Federal election, therefore there can not be 1 set of rules.   It is 50 states individuals elections coordinated on a certain date that are used to determine those who are voting for the office of president/VP.   Would be a constitutional change to make it anything different.  

Even with this it is still hard to stop someone from ballot harvesting from place like big nursing home or care facilities.

4 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

no system will ever be perfect but 2020 and 2000 showed us we need to do more

Well, I think they need to look at the witness signature as well.  If the same witness sign 1000's of ballots it is possible that something is fishy.  BTW, my buddy saw his dad's name next to his in our voting place and he voted in a different township.  That is an issue.

Edited by racer254

I don't know what the answer is but the timing of the results is terrible.  This count all the votes besides the D+60 and then start running up the score in the cities needs to stop.  Counting hundreds of thousands of votes after everyone else has theirs in doesn't do much for the confidence in elections.

Would like to see all the ballots due on election day at the time the polls close.  Results are final and submitted to the states a week later at 9 PM EST.  This would take a lot of pressure of the local election officials.  If there is any shenanigans going on make them due it without a target they need to hit.

Mail by mail is fine as long as someone requests the ballot.  Start processing the ballots by comparing signatures, opening envelopes, etc. before election day.  Just save the counting for after polls close.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Simple answer is to start counting absentee / mail in the day before election day . Then all ballots must be received by end of voting on election day. Any after that dont count.  For people mailing them in but not absentee , they are mailing them to their own town. Not exactly a week long ride. Is it to much to ask people to do the fucking thing 3-4 days before. If they cant then it's not important to them , so fuck them.

10 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Simple answer is to start counting absentee / mail in the day before election day . Then all ballots must be received by end of voting on election day. Any after that dont count.  For people mailing them in but not absentee , they are mailing them to their own town. Not exactly a week long ride. Is it to much to ask people to do the fucking thing 3-4 days before. If they cant then it's not important to them , so fuck them.

Exactly, there choice to vote by mail.  Their responsibility to get them there by the time the polls close.  In MN we can track ours to make sure they were received and will be counted.  Pretty simple system if you don't wait until the day of the election.

It's always the blue areas that have a hard time counting in a timely fashion...  almost like they need to wait to see how many more votes they need.  I think we should make the big cities report first, then the outlying areas.

In my little town of 10,000 we have three vote tally machines the size of a copier.  Polls close at 8 and by 9 they have given the totals.  Voter puts their ballot into the machine where it is scanned and tallied.......simple.    Everytime I see poll workers touching Ballots I have doubts......Hanging Chads anyone?

46 minutes ago, Matt said:

It's always the blue areas that have a hard time counting in a timely fashion...  almost like they need to wait to see how many more votes they need.  I think we should make the big cities report first, then the outlying areas.

or maybe it's just really really simple in that they are by and far always the most populous counties? 

• Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, frenchy said:

or maybe it's just really really simple in that they are by and far always the most populous counties? 

I know that...  You would think they'd have the best scanners and tech given their density...

59 minutes ago, Matt said:

I know that...  You would think they'd have the best scanners and tech given their density...

well it really hasn't turned into an affront to democracy until this year, so.....

Edited by frenchy

5 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

I don't know what the answer is but the timing of the results is terrible.  This count all the votes besides the D+60 and then start running up the score in the cities needs to stop.  Counting hundreds of thousands of votes after everyone else has theirs in doesn't do much for the confidence in elections.

Would like to see all the ballots due on election day at the time the polls close.  Results are final and submitted to the states a week later at 9 PM EST.  This would take a lot of pressure of the local election officials.  If there is any shenanigans going on make them due it without a target they need to hit.

Mail by mail is fine as long as someone requests the ballot.  Start processing the ballots by comparing signatures, opening envelopes, etc. before election day.  Just save the counting for after polls close.

Mail-in/Absentee voting starts October 1 and closes on October 15.  You have a 15 day window to procure and return your ballot.  Anything post-marked after that is void.  Numbers, results, etc. are not released under any circumstance.  

In-person voting runs Monday-Saturday the last full week of October.  

You can't plan around this every 4 years, sorry.

Edited by racinfarmer

28 minutes ago, frenchy said:

well it really hasn't turned into an affront to democracy until this year, so.....

I assure you, it's been irritating for years.  All the countless Walker elections and recalls waiting and waiting for Milwaukee county to get its shit together... recounts for supreme court elections...  That's just WI.  I'm sure most states have had their issues with it.

31 minutes ago, frenchy said:

That's just not true.  It seems  that only places that have trouble counting their ballots in a competent, legal and ethical manner are D controlled strongholds.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

I assure you, it's been irritating for years.  All the countless Walker elections and recalls waiting and waiting for Milwaukee county to get its shit together... recounts for supreme court elections...  That's just WI.  I'm sure most states have had their issues with it.

I remember all the bs with the Walker election.  Holy shit, what a corrupt mess.  Did people ever do jail time for all that bs?

25 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

That's just not true.  It seems  that only places that have trouble counting their ballots in a competent, legal and ethical manner are D controlled strongholds.

That's not a bug, it's a feature.