Check your account email address ×

Has Anybody Drove A 4.7 Ram

This is the same thing I researched last week.  The wife's 1500 ram with the 5.7 has 208,000 on it, and hunting for an upgrade.  We found a 2018 with 5,000 miles but only has the 4.7, for 27,000.  And all around it are trucks with the 5.7 and anywheres from 25,000 - 45,000 miles, for 31-36,000 bucks.  That's a hell of a difference in price.  I suppose the 4.7 would be swell enough as we don't tow with it, but damn, her old 5.7  has been such a good motor we hate to change.

Our budget is around that 25,000 max, but man there ain't nothing out there worth a shit for 25,000 and under.  Its rather disgusting.

18 minutes ago, hayward said:

This is the same thing I researched last week.  The wife's 1500 ram with the 5.7 has 208,000 on it, and hunting for an upgrade.  We found a 2018 with 5,000 miles but only has the 4.7, for 27,000.  And all around it are trucks with the 5.7 and anywheres from 25,000 - 45,000 miles, for 31-36,000 bucks.  That's a hell of a difference in price.  I suppose the 4.7 would be swell enough as we don't tow with it, but damn, her old 5.7  has been such a good motor we hate to change.

Our budget is around that 25,000 max, but man there ain't nothing out there worth a shit for 25,000 and under.  Its rather disgusting.

Used pickup markets don't make any sense, that is why 06 lbz duramax's are still going for over $20k in nice shape...

If you're looking at the price range for used, what are new trucks going for? In 17 I could buy a new Ram sport from my buds dealership for $32,500 with the Hemi with rebates and I bought my Tundra for $33,500, but that was a great deal right at the end of August when 18s were rolling on the lot

Edited by GGNHL

• Platinum Contributing Member
14 minutes ago, hayward said:

I hear you for sure as it’s the same situation around here.

5 minutes ago, GGNHL said:

Used pickup markets don't make any sense, that is my 06 lbz duramax's are still going for over $20k in nice shape...

If you're looking at the price range for used, what are new trucks going for? In 17 I could buy a new Ram sport from my buds dealership for $32,500 with the Hemi with rebates and I bought my Tundra for $33,500, but that was a great deal right at the end of August when 18s were rolling on the lot

The used Tundras around here are insane...2010 Limited with over 200,000 on  the clock are going for 16,000. Here are a couple others near me.

B92BC3AA-EA8B-4B95-9D1E-D5DFA11E6077.thumb.png.b7a74952e2b39591980d6eae1090046a.png

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

The used Tundras around here are insane...2010 Limited with over 200,000 in the clock are going for 16,000.

There is a large forestry company in this state that uses base model tundras for work trucks, they beat the shit out of them for 200k miles on dirt roads then they still get $14k for them on trade at the dealer, don't know how that makes any sense but makes me feel better about keeping mine til 200k if I choose:lol:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GGNHL said:

Used pickup markets don't make any sense, that is my 06 lbz duramax's are still going for over $20k in nice shape...

Yeah that's the problem.  If a body has a budget for 25,000, and all you're buying is 8 years worth of salt and cinder damage, how many more years is the truck gonna last?  Say without body work costs, another 5 maybe?  That's 5 grand/year cost without any other expenses on that truck.  A new one maybe 38,000 at the right time, take care of it and get 13 years out of it, now youre talking 3,000/year.

Makes no sense really to buy used I guess.

I gotta put the price of hay up....:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Found a great deal on a 19 F150 a guy bought and then decided he wanted a Benz and traded it in. No idea why they didn't just sent it to an affiliated ford store bet they could have gotten 5k more CPO.  I looked at an idetically equipped cpo with the 2.7 for 5k more with work more miles  the CPO warranty is with about 1000 for the 100k powertrain warranty.  Got more in trade for my mustang  than private sale buyers were offering in August.  Crazy market  who the fuck wants a vert in October.  Saved me 375 in storage fees as well.  CarMax is paying more than I could get private party on my explorer as well. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

Found a great deal on a 19 F150 a guy bought and then decided he wanted a Benz and traded it in. No idea why they didn't just sent it to an affiliated ford store bet they could have gotten 5k more CPO.  I looked at an idetically equipped cpo with the 2.7 for 5k more with work more miles  the CPO warranty is with about 1000 for the 100k powertrain warranty.  Got more in trade for my mustang  than private sale buyers were offering in August.  Crazy market  who the fuck wants a vert in October.  Saved me 375 in storage fees as well.  CarMax is paying more than I could get private party on my explorer as well. 

What motor?

52 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

3.5 eco   6 year 100k mile warranty on it and I'll get a catch can.  

I don't think you need it on the  Gen 2 Eco. The first Gen 11-17 I believe had a few longevity issues.  

2 hours ago, Kev144 said:

I don't think you need it on the  Gen 2 Eco. The first Gen 11-17 I believe had a few longevity issues.  

most DI engines seem to need catch cans regardless of manufacturer.  I figured now into gen 2 they will be better.   I suppose I could just run it- warranty is till May 2026 on it.  

• Gold Member
58 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

most DI engines seem to need catch cans regardless of manufacturer.  I figured now into gen 2 they will be better.   I suppose I could just run it- warranty is till May 2026 on it.  

Don’t the gen 2’s such as the 19 have both port and direct injection now.  I don’t think a catch can is needed on a 19

On 9/24/2020 at 7:31 AM, Jimmy Snacks said:

I hear you for sure as it’s the same situation around here.

They are fucking rediculous. I bought a 18 f-150 4x4 amonth ago. 13k on the clock $31k > If you told me 3 yrs ago I would be willing to pay $31 for a used 150 I would have told you your fucking nuts. Now Im fucking nuts.

• Haha 1

On 9/24/2020 at 6:23 AM, Jimmy Snacks said:

I found a damn nice 2500 HD with an 8.1/Allison combo...clean, super low miles but cuz wants over 20,000 for it.

I had one of those with dual exhaust.  Long bed extra cab. Would break loose hitting 2nd gear. Super fun truck. 10 mpg loaded or empty or pulling a 4 place.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, s pump said:

the fuck is a catch can?

it catches the mist of evaporated oil that comes through the pcv. It collects into the catch can and liquifies. Without a catch can it would collect on the intake valve. Without port injection to wash off the collected oil, it forms deposits and yada yada the valve doesn't close properly and engine runs like shit. 

Using a good oil with low noack helps. 

Edited by Legend