Check your account email address ×

Has Anybody Drove A 4.7 Ram

• Platinum Contributing Member
33 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

I had two of the motors but not in a Ram, One Jeep and one Dakota.  Put 170k or more on each without much fan fair. pretty easy to work on.

Thanks Cousin Carl...I’d like a 5.7 but don’t really need it and the truck is clean.👍🏼

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Thanks Cousin Carl...I’d like a 5.7 but don’t really need it and the truck is clean.👍🏼

I have a 5.7 in a ram as well.....(yea I have a mopar problem)....    I would say the 4.7 would be alright as long as heavy towing is not a daily thing.  

Just now, Carlos Danger said:

I have a 5.7 in a ram as well.....(yea I have a mopar problem)....    I would say the 4.7 would be alright as long as heavy towing is not a daily thing.  

Thanks and no heavy towing.👍🏼
BTW nothing wrong with having a Mopar

problem! 

6 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

Jimmy this is not the best option.  The 3.7 and 4.7 are iron block aluminum heads and have known issues.  Get the Hemi all day every day.

I have the 3.7 in my Dakota and it has been pretty much bullet proof and I have not been kind to it, bought it new and  have had no issues at all. I also have '14 Ram with the hemi either motors are great IMO

Edited by 01mxz800
  • Like 1

I had one in my 02 ram, good motor till I blew a radiator hose at 120k in NY State Fair traffic..It got a little hot and was not right after that,..My buddy has one with 240k on it in his Jeep and it's been solid for him..I believe the 4.7 is Mercedes motor

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I appreciate all the input...the used truck market is goofy right now and rust free lower miles trumps big HP.😉

plus they are easy to work on.  Plugs, filters even sensors are pretty easy to get at.  Brakes are simple as my ram has disc brakes at both ends. plus for what ever reason the exhaust seems to go the distance.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

I had one in my 02 ram, good motor till I blew a radiator hose at 120k in NY State Fair traffic..It got a little hot and was not right after that,..My buddy has one with 240k on it in his Jeep and it's been solid for him..I believe the 4.7 is Mercedes motor

3.7 and 4.7 are both Mercedes 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Found a good deal on a low mile clean 2012 Ram and it has a 4.7...are these motors any good...according to the interwebs they have 310 HP which is a little anemic IMO.

Why would you think 310 HP is anemic ? It,s a truck, not a race car. That,s around what the V6 turbo mustangs have, and they go good.

Edited by Frostynuts

14 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

Why would you think 310 HP is anemic ? It,s a truck, not a race car. That,s around what the V6 turbo mustangs have, and they go good.

I remember when my v8 Ford had less than 300 hp probably around 250

30 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

16 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

I remember when my v8 Ford had less than 300 hp probably around 250

I meant anemic compared to a 5.7 HEMI or 6.2 Chevy...I agree that 310 is fine.👍🏼

Back in the day I had one of these...ooofda! 🤣🤣

4FF3E914-153F-489F-941D-DFD816EB4F53.thumb.png.b0d4d5300ff82bbd349c39ed45bc9e56.png

Edited by Jimmy Snacks
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I appreciate all the input...the used truck market is goofy right now and rust free lower miles trumps big HP.😉

so hold off till Jan it will give you a excuse to fly to AZ or TX  or FL or any old person state  etc to pick up a rust free ride 

What is crazy is start searching heated seats heated wheel group  there are more in the fucking desert than the midwest 

Edited by Ez ryder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Found a good deal on a low mile clean 2012 Ram and it has a 4.7...are these motors any good...according to the interwebs they have 310 HP which is a little anemic IMO.

My mom had one for a while I think that same year, I thought it was a little gutless and only got 15mpg, but it was reliable. If you get it for the right price nothing wrong with that, I will say that you're going to need an LED light bar because those are by far the worst fucking headlights I've ever used, my Tundra's low beams are better than that trucks highs. :lol: :bc:

Edited by GGNHL
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

so hold off till Jan it will give you a excuse to fly to AZ or TX  or FL or any old person state  etc to pick up a rust free ride 

this is what i would do.  last 2 vehicles came from TX and my next one will be from somewhere south as well.   I can fly into DFW or Atlanta for $200 and it's 27 hours home with a copilot from TX or 15 solo from Atlanta.    

Edited by Angry ginger
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2020 at 4:27 PM, GGNHL said:

My mom had one for a while I think that same year, I thought it was a little gutless and only got 15mpg, but it was reliable. If you get it for the right price nothing wrong with that, I will say that you're going to need an LED light bar because those are by far the worst fucking headlights I've ever used, my Tundra's low beams are better than that trucks highs. :lol: :bc:

Yes. I have a 09 with the single beams. Worst headlights ever.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 2:27 PM, GGNHL said:

Yup. I upgraded mine to siverstar ultras and its a bit better. High beams barely go any further but are a tad wider. I just drive with low beams 

• Like 1