Check your account email address ×

The Trump campaign played a song about rich kids dodging the Vietnam War draft -- which the president did 5 times

Mainecat

The Trump campaign played a song about rich kids dodging the Vietnam War draft -- which the president did 5 times

Source: Business Insider

The Trump campaign played a song about rich kids dodging the Vietnam War draft — which the president did 5 times — at a Michigan rally

President Donald Trump's campaign played a song about rich people dodging the Vietnam War draft — which Trump did five times — as the president disembarked his plane for a rally in Michigan. 

The 1969 song "Fortunate Son," by Creedence Clearwater Revival, blared as Air Force One arrived to crowds of Trump supporters at MBS International Airport in Freeland, Michigan, on Thursday. 

The song is sung from the perspective of young men drafted to fight in the Vietnam War who didn't have the powerful connections to avoid going. 

As the lyrics say: "Some folks are born silver spoon in hand / Lord, don't they help themselves, no ... It ain't me, it ain't me / I ain't no millionaire's son."

Read more: https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-michigan-rally-plays-fortunate-son-song-avoiding-vietnam-war-2020-9

Dumb asses

• Platinum Contributing Member

Great song but Fogerty is just a bit disingenuous when talking about it.

The thoughts behind this song - it was a lot of anger. So it was the Vietnam War going on... Now I was drafted and they're making me fight, and no one has actually defined why. So this was all boiling inside of me and I sat down on the edge of my bed and out came "It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no senator's son!" You know, it took about 20 minutes to write the song.[8]

Fogerty received his draft notice for military service during the Vietnam War in 1966.[14] The same day he received the notice, he went to a local United States Army Reserve recruiter, who signed him up immediately for training as a supply clerk.[14] Fogerty believes the recruiter dated the paperwork to take effect before the draft letter arrived.[8] During his time in the Army Reserve, Fogerty attended training at Fort Bragg, Fort Knox, and Fort Lee.[14] He completed his active duty for training in July 1967, then served as a part-time reservist until being discharged in 1968.[14]

Fucking song has been getting played at presidential rallies, football games, NASCAR events, and countless other large gatherings.......for over 50 years.  Because its a great song.  But now some Trump hating turd wants to make hay about it.  Jesus Rich, walk away.  Get some fresh air today.  Go volunteer at a soup kitchen.  Do something.  :lol:  

1 minute ago, DriftBusta said:

Fucking song has been getting played at presidential rallies, football games, NASCAR events, and countless other large gatherings.......for over 50 years.  Because its a great song.  But now some Trump hating turd wants to make hay about it.  Jesus Rich, walk away.  Get some fresh air today.  Go volunteer at a soup kitchen.  Do something.  :lol:  

I picture him with nothing to do, just sitting around stewing about trump all day, and it makes me chuckle.

:lmao: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Great song but Fogerty is just a bit disingenuous when talking about it.

The thoughts behind this song - it was a lot of anger. So it was the Vietnam War going on... Now I was drafted and they're making me fight, and no one has actually defined why. So this was all boiling inside of me and I sat down on the edge of my bed and out came "It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no senator's son!" You know, it took about 20 minutes to write the song.[8]

Fogerty received his draft notice for military service during the Vietnam War in 1966.[14] The same day he received the notice, he went to a local United States Army Reserve recruiter, who signed him up immediately for training as a supply clerk.[14] Fogerty believes the recruiter dated the paperwork to take effect before the draft letter arrived.[8] During his time in the Army Reserve, Fogerty attended training at Fort Bragg, Fort Knox, and Fort Lee.[14] He completed his active duty for training in July 1967, then served as a part-time reservist until being discharged in 1968.[14]

So even the songs that trump plays are phony. 

• Haha 1

Any pictures of the massive crowds that attended?  :lol:

Joe Biden sneaks in to Michigan for a closed meeting with UAW.......walking through crowd of none.  Must be pretty easy being on the Biden detail. 

56 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Ending Song from the movie "Battleship"

• Platinum Contributing Member
33 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

WGAF,  clinton was president 20 years ago.  

No shit...these Cult Toadies  really have a hard time staying focused on the here and now!🤣

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

5 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

And many here swiftboated Kerry for his service.

Fuckin idiots

Kerry's own comrades did it to him. 

"The facts are that 250 of Kerry's former shipmates, including 17 of the 24 officers in his division, signed a public letter saying he's not fit to be the commander-in-chief," said retired Rear Adm. Roy Hoffmann, who commanded the fleet of swift boats during Kerry's tour of duty.

Hoffmann is one of the most outspoken veterans to oppose Kerry's candidacy. During a May 4 press conference announcing the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, he called Kerry a "loose cannon" because of his actions in Vietnam.

Edited by XCR1250

5 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Kerry's own comrades did it to him. 

"The facts are that 250 of Kerry's former shipmates, including 17 of the 24 officers in his division, signed a public letter saying he's not fit to be the commander-in-chief," said retired Rear Adm. Roy Hoffmann, who commanded the fleet of swift boats during Kerry's tour of duty.

Hoffmann is one of the most outspoken veterans to oppose Kerry's candidacy. During a May 4 press conference announcing the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, he called Kerry a "loose cannon" because of his actions in Vietnam.

Maybe they were deep state lackeys? :lol:

Of the approximately 3,600 Swift boat sailors who served in Vietnam, the names of some 200 appeared on the group's statement against Kerry; most did not serve at the same time or in the same place as Kerry.[7] Of those who served in Kerry's boat crew, only Stephen Gardner joined SBVT.[8] He was not present on any of the occasions when Kerry earned his medals, including his Purple Hearts. Gardner appeared in two of the group's television advertisements. All other living members of Kerry's crew supported his presidential bid, and some frequently campaigned with him as his self-described "band of brothers". Kerry crew members have disputed some of SBVT's various allegations, calling them "totally false" (Drew Whitlow), "garbage" (Gene Thorson), and "a pack of lies" (Del Sandusky).[9][10][11][12][13]Several members of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth (SBVT) served in the same unit as Kerry, although Gardner was the only one to serve on Kerry's boat.[14] A number of Kerry's SBVT critics were present on accompanying Swift Boats at one of the combat events for which Kerry was decorated with the Bronze Star Medal and a third Purple Heart.[15] Another SBVT member, Dr. Louis Letson, was the physician who claims to have treated Kerry for his first Purple Heart wound.[16] Larry Clayton Lee was the sole SBVT member to participate in the event for which Kerry was awarded the Silver Star.[17] No SBVT member participated in events related to the award of Kerry's second Purple Heart.

In addition to questioning the merit of many of Kerry's service awards, SBVT decried his post-Vietnam anti-war activity and disputed the truthfulness of his subsequent testimony about the conduct of the American military as demonstrated in that war. Many political observers saw this as reflecting the "true reason behind the Swift Boat campaign."[18][19] All of the allegations referencing Kerry's Vietnam service and awards were made during Kerry's 2004 presidential campaign while Kerry's post-Vietnam anti-war activity had long been a subject of controversy.

Defenders of John Kerry's service record, including nearly all of his former crewmates, have stated that SBVT's allegations are false.[4][5][6][20]

• USA Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

And many here swiftboated Kerry for his service.

Fuckin idiots

Mainecat..... the John Kerry/Jane Fonda of Vietnam

John Kerry got his 3 purple hearts in record time and got out, he did more fighting with his officers over the awarding of the medals than he did in actual service.  I can admire him for being in the service but what he did to get out and how he spoke of it when he did makes me think he can go fuck himself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kerry_military_service_controversy

Your pretty outspoken about pretty much everything, tell us how you missed out on the war....

• Thanks 1