Check your account email address ×

Should Cops.......

• Advertising Member

Know a persons arrest record?

I served on a jury for a child molestation case.  One of the instructions was that we were not allowed to look up or read about the defendants past....no news no criminal records....nothing.

This has me wondering, what if cops didn't know of past trials and charges (only current warrants)?  Would it help some people break out of "the system?"

Thoughts?

:bc: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seatofmypants said:

I served on a jury for a child molestation case.  One of the instructions was that we were not allowed to look up or read about the defendants past....no news no criminal records....nothing.

This has me wondering, what if cops didn't know of past trials and charges (only current warrants)?  Would it help some people break out of "the system?"

Thoughts?

Yes....if someone has a history of violence they need to know 

• Advertising Member
2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Yes....if someone has a history of violence they need to know 

Entire record or just violent offences?  You can see how investigating a record could pre-dispose an officer to look harder for offences though....right?

2 minutes ago, Seatofmypants said:

Thoughts?

The thing is most cops from the same communities know who the bad asses are whether they were convicted of their crimes or not. Tons of cases get thrown out of court daily due to technicalities but it still doesn't change the fact the police know who the good guys are and who isn't. 

What you mention above as been the way the courts have operated forever. Just because a person has some offenses/charges against them that have stuck does not mean the current charges against them will also stick. Each person, despite their record, gets a fair trial and like always is innocent until proven guilty. Just the way it is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seatofmypants said:

Entire record or just violent offences?  You can see how investigating a record could pre-dispose an officer to look harder for offences though....right?

It’s an interesting thing to consider 

I believe they use to read out previous charges/convictions in court then tell the jury not to consider them as this is a new case/charge which has nothing to do with prior ones. I no longer believe they still do that but I could be wrong?

• Advertising Member
1 minute ago, f7ben said:

It’s an interesting thing to consider 

That's all I'm asking.  I know a guy here locally that has some drug charges in his past, served his time, and is now a chef.  Why should he have to answer if he has drugs in the car, when he got pulled over for rolling a stop sign?  The system seem to suck people in and bleed them dry.

• Advertising Member
Just now, irv said:

I believe they use to read out previous charges/convictions in court then tell the jury not to consider them as this is a new case/charge which has nothing to do with prior ones. I no longer believe they still do that but I could be wrong?

They didn't at the trial I was part of.  Our jury let the guy walk, I went home after and looked him up.......history of sex offences....FML

1 minute ago, Seatofmypants said:

That's all I'm asking.  I know a guy here locally that has some drug charges in his past, served his time, and is now a chef.  Why should he have to answer if he has drugs in the car, when he got pulled over for rolling a stop sign?  The system seem to suck people in and bleed them dry.

That’s what it’s designed to do 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 minutes ago, Seatofmypants said:

Well guy gets pulled over has had 5 previous dwi, guy gets caught with a bag full of tools has been arrested for breaking and entering 15 times, Habitual shop lifters should be known..Yes, a complete arrest history should be made available to people that need to know that stuff.

10 minutes ago, Seatofmypants said:

They didn't at the trial I was part of.  Our jury let the guy walk, I went home after and looked him up.......history of sex offences....FML

I hear ya loud and clear but if the evidence was lacking in your particular case then they had no choice. The law isn't perfect but it is what it is. 

Did you ever see The Star Chamber?

Edited by irv

12 minutes ago, Seatofmypants said:

I know someone who served over 200 days in jail, just so they would not be on probation after. Probation is worse than jail.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snake said:

I know someone who served over 200 days in jail, just so they would not be on probation after. Probation is worse than jail.

I know a couple guys that did the same thing..said fuck probation and I don’t blame them. 

• Like 1

• Advertising Member
11 minutes ago, $poorsledder$ said:

If you have a pistol permit and a cop pulls you over and runs your plate should it be part of the report? 

I don't believe so and I don't think it is.  However, that should be the first thing you tell them, should you be actually carrying that day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seatofmypants said:

Thoughts?

Basicly impossible as cops know most defendants from the street. 95 % of all crimes are committed by the same 4 % of people.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seatofmypants said:

I don't believe so and I don't think it is.  However, that should be the first thing you tell them, should you be actually carrying that day.

Is it the law to inform cop you are carrying in PA?