Check your account email address ×

Tara Reade's ex-neighbor says Reade told her about Joe Biden sexual assault allegation in the 1990s

Hey @jtssrx  as seen at CNN.

Tara Reade's ex-neighbor says Reade told her about Joe Biden sexual assault allegation in the 1990s

(CNN)A former neighbor of Tara Reade, a woman who has accused Joe Biden of sexual assault, has come forward to say that Reade told her about the alleged assault in the mid-1990s. The account, purportedly told to the neighbor within a few years of the alleged incident, marks the first detailed and on-the-record corroboration of Reade's allegation against the presumptive Democratic nominee for president.

Lynda LaCasse told CNN in a phone interview Monday that she remembers stepping out of her two-bedroom home in Morro Bay, California, to sneak in a cigarette break away from her children. It was 1995, perhaps even early 1996, based on her recollection. LaCasse said she often sat outside on her stoop smoking Virginia Slims, and that on this particular day, she cried as she discussed with Reade a custody battle for her kids.

Reade began to cry too, LaCasse said.

"She started talking about Joe Biden. And I didn't really know much about Joe Biden," she said. LaCasse said that Reade told her that when she was working in Washington some years prior, Biden "had pushed her up against a wall and he put his hand up her skirt and he put his fingers inside of her, and she was dealing with the aftermath of that."

Business Insider first reported on LaCasse and her recollection of this conversation with Reade.

The Biden campaign has denied Reade's allegation that Biden sexually assaulted her in 1993 when she was an aide in his Senate office. Asked for comment about LaCasse's account, the Biden campaign referred to a statement previously released by deputy campaign manager Kate Bedingfield.

"Vice President Biden has dedicated his public life to changing the culture and the laws around violence against women. He authored and fought for the passage and reauthorization of the landmark Violence Against Women Act. He firmly believes that women have a right to be heard -- and heard respectfully," Bedingfield said. "Such claims should also be diligently reviewed by an independent press. What is clear about this claim: it is untrue. This absolutely did not happen."

The allegation comes as Biden is preparing to take on President Donald Trump in the general election. More than a dozen women have leveled allegations against Trump, ranging from unwelcome advances to sexual harassment and assault. Trump has denied those allegations.

For some of Biden's supporters and surrogates, questions related to Reade's allegation have presented a challenging balancing act -- of expressing support for Biden's candidacy and character while not dismissing a sexual assault allegation. Democrats in particular have vocally championed the #MeToo movement in recent years, advocating that all accusers to be fully heard and recognized. And gender dynamics are expected remain at the forefront of the 2020 race, as Biden begins his search for a female running mate. Some of the women widely expected to be on Biden's shortlist of vice presidential nominees, including Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar, have recently been asked about the allegation; Biden's allies have pointed to his decades-long advocacy for women and victims of abuse, including his work on the Violence Against Women Act.

LaCasse told CNN that in her conversation with Reade in the 1990s, she suggested that Reade file a police report. Reade responded that she had already had a conversation with her own mother about this topic. LaCasse said that she didn't clearly remember other details of this exchange. For example, she said she might have referred Reade to a women's shelter at the time, but said she wasn't sure if she had.

"But remembering somebody putting their hands up your skirt -- that's something you don't forget," LaCasse said.

But it was something she had forgotten -- or at least, put out of her mind for years, LaCasse said. After the mid-1990s, she said she and Reade were not in touch, and it was only a few years ago that they reconnected around the time that Reade's mother died. And according to LaCasse, it was last year when Reade brought up Biden that LaCasse told her that she remembered their conversation about the alleged sexual assault.

More recently, after Reade appeared on a podcast and went public with her allegation of sexual assault, LaCasse said she let her ex-neighbor and friend know that she would be willing to publicly say that Reade had confided in her years ago.

CNN verified through public records searches, photos and an examination of Reade's past government identification that LaCasse and Reade were once neighbors.

Now 60 years old, LaCasse describes herself as "very anti-Trump" and a "very strong Democrat" with "strong political leanings." She liked Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren the most during the Democratic primaries, she said, and in the general election, she plans to vote for Biden, whom she said she always viewed as an "OK guy."

"I don't know that I have any choice," she said about her plan to vote for Biden in November. "I'm not going to vote for Trump."

The rest of the story:  https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/28/politics/tara-reade-neighbor/index.html

2 hours ago, hayward said:

A true friend, and a die-hard democrat,  she's still voting for Biden regardless.   :lol:

As I've been saying since Trump got elected, the rules for getting elected have changed, past accusations, being morally corrupt, etc. has zero impact on electability.

22 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

As I've been saying since Trump got elected, the rules for getting elected have changed, past accusations, being morally corrupt, etc. has zero impact on electability.

Presidents have always been morally corrupt,  now we just see it more.  

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

Presidents have always been morally corrupt,  now we just see it more.  

Of course, but in the last election we saw the evangelicals and the rest of the moral majority embrace a shameless and morally bankrupt man; indeed the rules have changed :thumbsup:

Just now, Mileage Psycho said:

Of course, but in the last election we saw the evangelicals and the rest of the moral majority embrace a shameless and morally bankrupt man; indeed the rules have changed :thumbsup:

But, I thought “all women deserve to be believed” and your party was the morally correct choice?

Oh well.  It’s nice to see you defending your party’s absolute hypocrisy....by blaming the other party for your own integrity and moral faults.

:lol:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

But, I thought “all women deserve to be believed” and your party was the morally correct choice?

Oh well.  It’s nice to see you defending your party’s absolute hypocrisy....by blaming the other party for your own integrity and moral faults.

The rules have changed, do you have a problem with that?

18 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Their morals must change as the rules do.

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Liberal rules haven’t changed at all.  You are all just admitting to them now.

Nice none answer, I'll remember that when you ask me a question.....then again I have never been afraid to answer a question.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Nice none answer, I'll remember that when you ask me a question.....then again I have never been afraid to answer a question.

Your acceptance of the rules (as you’ve made them up) is the only thing that’s changed.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

We're desperate for a leader, what more can we expect?:dunno:

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 hours ago, Mainecat said:

What a weak accusation. Stay tuned more to come.

Just wondering where this crap was when he was VP

Sealed away in his Senate file..:thumbsup: