Check your account email address ×

How will Trump policies affect trade?

If he goes ahead with 35-45% tariffs on China then basically the gloves are off.

He also wants to renegotiate Nafta and won't ratify TPP.

If he also bails on the Paris climate agreement then things will get interesting. 

Why wouldn't the signatories to the Paris deal put Tariffs on goods from Countries that are not part of the agreement? I've thought for years we should have very strong legislation on manufacturing to protect our environment but force other places (india and China ) to manufacture under the same conditions or face high tariffs. With so many countries signing on in Paris, it makes for a very large trading block that the US could conceivably be left out of.

Timing is pretty decent too. Alternative energy is staring to become competitive. 

I'm pretty sure China is in a lot better bargaining position than they were 15 years ago. They have a growing middle class.

What would happen if Trump plays hardball with everyone on all of the above?

I don't know how tough Trudeau will be but considering his old man was a bit of a Dick to the U.S. at times, maybe his son will play the same kind of games. If Trumps wants to attack the easy stuff like lumber, he'd be an idiot not to renegotiate the stuff that isn't a great deal for Canada.

I didn't vote for Trudeau but now I'm glad he is in power and not Harper.

Why wouldn't the signatories to the Paris deal put Tariffs on goods from Countries that are not part of the agreement? I've thought for years we should have very strong legislation on manufacturing to protect our environment but force other places (india and China ) to manufacture under the same conditions or face high tariffs.

I think this is the reason so many in the US are sick of trade deals and climate agreements.  It handicaps the nations that follow the rules as compared to say India and China.

Trump is considering an oil billionaire and a North Dakota lawmaker for top posts as he moves to roll back President Barack Obama's environmental and energy policies and allow unfettered production of oil, coal and natural gas.

I dont agree with this at all. I think solar and wind are the future in the US.

Tarrifs should be only used on countries that do not pay fair wages, have strict environmental and human rights  similar to the US, Canada, France, UK etc.

2 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Trump is considering an oil billionaire and a North Dakota lawmaker for top posts as he moves to roll back President Barack Obama's environmental and energy policies and allow unfettered production of oil, coal and natural gas.

Tarrifs should be only used on countries that do not pay fair wages, have strict environmental and human rights  similar to the US, Canada, France, UK etc.

They are a complete failure in Ontario.  

2 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Why exactly don't you agree with it as long as EPA regulations are followed?

12 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Why exactly don't you agree with it as long as EPA regulations are followed?

Trump wants to abolish the EPA and has said so many times. So no laws the US becomes a third world country.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/myron-ebell-trump-epa_us_582ab3e4e4b0c4b63b0e5577

4 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

You should look at the wind and solar in Ontario and see how good it's been for us. It's part of the green energy plan. It has resulted in;

soaring electricity costs - giving us the highest rates in North America

More than 8 per cent of Ontario households were in arrears with their electricity bills at the end of 2015, owing more than $172.5 million. The Ontario Energy Board reports 566,902 homes were in arrears last year. Hydro One Networks, the electricity distribution arm of Ontario’s giant transmission utility, was owed $105,583,215 by 225,952 customers who were in arrears, which is up more than 1,750 households from 2014. Toronto Hydro had the second largest number of clients in arrears, with 60,528 households owing $13,194,511 last year. The Ministry of Energy says there are about 4.6 million residential electricity customers, or households, in Ontario.

Wind is a fluctuating (intermittent) source of energy and is not suited to meet the base load energy demand unless some form of energy storage is utilized (e.g. batteries, pumped hydro).

The manufacturing and installation of wind turbines requires heavy upfront investments – both in commercial and residential applications

The construction of a wind turbine produces significant carbon. Much more than it will reduce in energy generation before it needs to be "refurbished"

Wind turbines are a threat to wildlife (e.g. birds, bats) killing many thousands annually, This potentially does more eco damage than it could possibly ever offset.

Noise is regularly reported as a problem by neighboring homes. Many have now reported suffering from headaches and tinnitus.

How wind turbines look (aesthetics) is a legitimate concern for many people

5 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Trump wants to abolish the EPA and has said so many times. So no laws the US becomes a third world country.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/myron-ebell-trump-epa_us_582ab3e4e4b0c4b63b0e5577

Jesus.  You've hit your head again.....no chance the EPA is going away.  

28 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Yep....it's your head.  Don't bleed out.

35 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

then start a company to make these products...just stay out of the taxpayer's pockets.

3 minutes ago, Sludgey said:

Also Trudeau is going to be severely out matched here

Yup... the woman he sent to Paris to represent us left for home on the verge of tears when one district of Belgium was not on board and for France it was an all or nothing agreement.

Last-ditch efforts to salvage Canada's trade deal with the European Union appear to have collapsed Friday, as International Trade Minister Chrystia Freeland walked out of talks with the regional government of Wallonia.The region has been blocking the deal that was supposed to be signed next week. "Canada worked really hard, and me personally, I worked very hard," she said in French, expressing Canada's disappointment — as well as her own — at this turn of events."It's become evident for me, for Canada, that the European Union isn't capable now to have an international treaty even with a country that has very European values like Canada. And even with a country so nice, with a lot of patience like Canada." We have decided to return home. I am very sad. It is emotional for me," she told reporters. "The only good thing I can say is that tomorrow morning I will be at home with my three kids."

Isn't it just great for someone representing your country gets all emotional and is almost in tears when things don't work out as hoped. Really shows your strength.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Free and fair trade.   There can be a balance.   Trade should always take an America first stance.....if its not just as good for us as them then no fucking deal.  

Part of the trade equation is stopping the double taxation on income earned outside the US.  Corp tax rates should be equal to if the product was sold in the US.

Dems just fucking love when two govts get to tax corporations.   

Edited by Highmark

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Free and fair trade.   There can be a balance.   Trade should always take an America first stance.....if its not just as good for us as them then no fucking deal.  

Part of the trade equation is stopping the double taxation on income earned outside the US.  Corp tax rates should be equal to if the product was sold in the US.

Scooch over a bit, I'm sitting next to you on this ride.  You can put your hand on my knee.

6 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Trump promised tariffs?

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

along with the horse drawn buggy and candles.

6 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Trump promised tariffs?

Completely depends on the situation.

For example I would focus on balance first.   If our economy is x and say China is y then the trade coming in needs to reflect that.   If not a tariff can be applied so its more balanced.  

Take TPP.   If we are only going to take goods in from one of them and they will not be taking an equal (based off economy) back then a tariff is applied the next few years.  

We are a nation of consumption, no way its every going to be perfect but we need to be able to sell our goods in the places we take them from at least to a size of economy balance.

Edited by Highmark

15 minutes ago, Sludgey said:

Canada should not be involved in international carbon schemes period.

Wrong... we just need better representation. The U.S. needs to do a better job on air pollution. A huge amount of the pollution we deal with comes from American coal fired plants blowing north.

2 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Wrong... we just need better representation. The U.S. needs to do a better job on air pollution. A huge amount of the pollution we deal with comes from American coal fired plants blowing north.

Not saying its not true but you got any links to that claim?

17 minutes ago, Highmark said:

So now you are proposing that the U.S. dictate to a foreign country their internal taxation laws for earnings in their country. You do realize that although they may be part of a parent company they are all separate legal entities. I,e. IBM. They have separate legal entities around the globe.