Check your account email address ×

I stayed up late last night to watch the outcome of the presidential election, as I suspect many of you did. As in every election, there were winners and losers.  But regardless of your political affiliation, I think all Americans agree that we would like to see America thrive in the future as a vibrant democracy and a world leader. 

Here in our campus community, we will continue to strive to be a lively intellectual environment that is also a welcoming and inclusive place for our students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends. It is only in an environment that is safe and free from harassment that our primary mission of teaching, learning, research and service can take place.

We aim to express these values in practice every day. Many of our campus governance groups also recently affirmed a Campus Statement on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. I want to share it here:

“Diversity is a source of strength, creativity, and innovation for UW-Madison. We value the contributions of each person and respect the profound ways their identity, culture, background, experience, status, abilities, and opinion enrich the university community. We commit ourselves to the pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, outreach, and diversity as inextricably linked goals.

“The University of Wisconsin-Madison fulfills its public mission by creating a welcoming and inclusive community for people from every background—people who as students, faculty, and staff serve Wisconsin and the world.”

These are ideals that we aspire to, but sometimes fail to meet. While we are taking a variety of steps to address campus climate concerns, we are a long way from becoming the community we want to be.

But there is reason for hope.  Nothing happens until people get involved, and we’re seeing that:

• Student leaders are active, working for change and raising awareness.  

• Faculty are more engaged than ever in campus climate issues 

• Our staff has implemented innovative programs to support our community.

We have done much in recent years, via our Diversity Framework, and newer efforts chronicled on our campus climate site.

We must continue our efforts to build a stronger, more inclusive and interconnected community here at UW that can support one another and contribute to a path forward for the nation.

Close elections like we've just experienced can result in a range of reactions. In the coming days, I ask that students to engage respectfully in debate over current events. We're providing space for community discussions with staff on hand to listen and provide support:

• Thursday 9 a.m. to noon, Our Wisconsin Room B/C, Red Gym
  • Thursday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Landmark Room, Union South
  • Friday 8 a.m. to 10 a.m., Northwoods Room, Union South

Resources are also available through University Health Services, the Multicultural Student Center, and the LGBT Campus Center.

The more inclusive, interconnected and engaged we are as a community, the stronger and more resilient we become. These efforts are a work in process.  Each of us is always in the process of becoming more aware and more understanding of other perspectives.  This work is never finished. But more than ever, it is vital to our campus, nation and world.

To all my precious little snowflakes. 

Chancellor Rebecca Blank

Close elections like we've just experienced can result in a range of reactions. In the coming days, I ask that students to engage respectfully in debate over current events. We're providing space for community discussions with staff on hand to listen and provide support:

• Thursday 9 a.m. to noon, Our Wisconsin Room B/C, Red Gym
  • Thursday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Landmark Room, Union South
  • Friday 8 a.m. to 10 a.m., Northwoods Room, Union South

Please tell me you aren't needing a "safe place" to converse.  If you do, I'm gonna need that fucking coin.  :lol:

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Please tell me you aren't needing a "safe place" to converse.  If you do, I'm gonna need that fucking coin.  :lol:

It looked like everyone's dog died down there today. I felt bad for the poor kids. No resiliency or ability to see past what the media has told them to feel. 

1 minute ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

It looked like everyone's dog died down there today. I felt bad for the poor kids. No resiliency or ability to see past what the media has told them to feel. 

That shit is nationwide.

Another "gem" heard on CNN this morning:  "Many boys and girls woke up this morning only to cry over their breakfast orange juice".  O.o  Pathetic indoctrination at a level that social services need to get involved.

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

That shit is nationwide.

Another "gem" heard on CNN this morning:  "Many boys and girls woke up this morning only to cry over their breakfast orange juice".  O.o  Pathetic indoctrination at a level that social services need to get involved.

as if a grade school kid pays any attention to this...unless told by their parents what to think and do

6 minutes ago, CheezusXR8 said:

Xlt = precious little snowflake? 

Thats all I got out of that, other than feeling bad for you for having to be around those strange people.

:bc: 

He really is a precious little bugger , snowflake for sure :lol:

2 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

I started a northern Michigan antifa group today. 

I will judiciously use my white male privilege to dispense with bigots, racists, Nazis, and any other form of fascist; and protect my visible and gender minority comrades from it. 

what does "group" mean ....if you say facebook I'm gonna mail you a pipe bomb

16 minutes ago, CheezusXR8 said:

Xlt = precious little snowflake? 

Thats all I got out of that, other than feeling bad for you for having to be around those strange people.

I added that in for effect. Thought it was fitting. The amount of people ACTUALLY crying disturbed me. Actually it should disturb a lot of us. Soon that sadness is going to turn to hate. Not going to help anything. 

2 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

I added that in for effect. Thought it was fitting. The amount of people ACTUALLY crying disturbed me. Actually it should disturb a lot of us. Soon that sadness is going to turn to hate. Not going to help anything. 

That "hate" has always been there...and it hasn't been hiding either.  It been thrown on the plates of anyone who disagrees with the so called "intellectually elite".  Now, it just won't be served with a side of an attitude encrusted undeserving superior smugness.

How you likin' these restaurant analogies?  :lol:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

That shit is nationwide.

Why are Liberals always crying?  :lol:

20 minutes ago, f7ben said:

what does "group" mean ....if you say facebook I'm gonna mail you a pipe bomb

Gotta use the tools at your disposal, comrade.

Social media is a great enabler for organizing and networking. 

Friend request me, I'll add you! 

10 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Gotta use the tools at your disposal, comrade.

Social media is a great enabler for organizing and networking. 

Friend request me, I'll add you! 

I dont facebook bro ....I thought we were gonna be making molotov cocktails and sharpening our throat slashing implements .....not fucking playing candy crush and handing out likes :lol: 

Edited by f7ben

23 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Good, let the hate flow. Maybe they will internalize it and  jump off that high horse. You know they're the people supposedly being so accepting of peoples views, feelings and denouncing hate. 

(I think I'm missing a comma, but I'm just a uneducated redneck and don't know where it goes)  :bc:

18 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Why are Liberals always crying?  :lol:

:dunno:  It's their defense mechanism.  Hey, there's nothing wrong with a good cry when things don't go your way.  As long as you're not a man.  Or it's not over the loss of a lying and corrupt politician that you were for some bizarre reason holding up on a pedestal.  O.o

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

I dont facebook bro ....I thought we were gonna be making molotov cocktails and sharpening our throat slashing implements .....not fucking playing candy crush and handing out likes :lol: 

Two polocks with a case of empty cows and five gallons of gas doesn't make an antifa militia. :lol: We need more comrades to help us slaughter the bourgeoisie.

25 minutes ago, f7ben said:

For someone who supposedly doesn't FB, you seem to know quite a bit about it :lol: 

And spare us the "my wife's account" BS , faggot :fuckyou:

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

:lol: there is only one reason for a middle aged man to join facebook ....and that is to troll for acquaintance tang. Unfortunately I'm still happily married

Momopotheads side piece must have dumped him :lol:

6 minutes ago, f7ben said:

:lol: there is only one reason for a middle aged man to join facebook ....and that is to troll for acquaintance tang. Unfortunately I'm still happily married

No, that's a horrible place for it. Too much drama. Instagram is better for that. or Snapchat.

1 minute ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

Momopotheads side piece must have dumped him :lol:

My only mistress is The Revolution.